Barry Ferguson Announces Retirement From Playing

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember on here when Boyd was in his first spell and scoring goals, 90% of posters said he was one of the best strikers in the UK and if Darren Bent was worth £18 Million Boyd was worth more.

As a fanbase and club we are so insular

At the time he came through we had established European internationals playing in our midfield.

The fact a 19/20 year old managed to be one of the first picks tells it's own story.

His first spell was the stuff of dreams for a young Scottish player, he had it all and Ronald De Boer rated him right up there with the best he played with...again tells it's own story.

Shouldn't have moved when he did but shit happens, was a shadow of the former player when he came back.

Barry could play in any Rangers team I've watched since 1980 easily. No point in comparing him to individuals and he could be a pain in the arse but all he ever wanted to do was win and 15 major trophies is the stuff of dreams topped off with a European final ,a stage where he feared no one. Has played more domestic games in Europe than any other Scot.

I will add my bit in Rangers and Scotland captain, who lets his weans run around in sellick tracksuites, and go to school at bigot factories, not for me, married a wee republican cow, buys her dad (a rabid wee tarrier bastard) season ticket every year, rangers legend my arse, good player who moaned at everyone barr himself, especially the younger players

You Sir are a fucking embarrassment to Rangers, what an absolute roaster

What an incredibly stupid thing to say, Did either Sealey or Taibi hold down a place in a team for 8 seasons that was Englands top dogs and one of the best in Europe?

Most on here would have fitted in well as a Scout at Ibrox over the last 20 years....Rangers men or nothing

Far from it. It's a deliberately ridiculous comparison. Fletcher done incredibly well at United to hold down a place so long and keep himself around the first team. However, I think its fair go say that Fletchers ability was made to look greater than it was in a team of world class players. His performances in a Scotland shirt, often against weaker opposition than he'd stroll it against in the EPL, with a generally poorer of team mate gave a better reflection on what he can do and his ability to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and change it like Ferguson could.

Comparing them based on the number of appearances or trophies won when comparing to vastly different sets of circumstances is unfair. Some fairly average players have had great careers at great clubs and won stuff beyond what their ability deserves (Quite a few went on to play for us like Capucho and Guivarc'h) while others haven't won tje trophies their talent deserves (like Gascoigne)

Loved him the first time round, but as has been proven over and over again, most who come back to The Rangers for a second term fail to capture the fans' initial backing and the spark goes out.

He was not the worst though, so I will thank him for his great service and wish him well.

:uk:

How many players do you see with their head up when on the ball? Barry's head was always up, more than any other I've seen.

Simply the best.

Really? He gets the name backpass Barry sometimes for a reason, always wanted the safe option and overrated

Second spell was a massive disappointment. He had one good season (07/08) and the rest of the time his only sustained spells of good form were in Europe

Dropping him for Edu was one of the main reasons why we won the league in 08/09

I would suggest Fletchers 250 appearances in 8 seasons for the best team in the UK and one of the top teams in Europe suggests otherwise. Think it was 5 league titles he won, as the saying goes....show us your medals :pipe:

I'm amazed anyone who watched Ferguson through his career with us can say Fletcher is better than him.

Ferguson dominated midfields at a top level. He topped some of the best midfielders in Europe in several matches. He could quite clearly carry a team on his own.

The turnaround against Stuttgart to win 2-1 is a great example. I seriously doubt we would have done it without him on the field that night. Stuttgart's opener was scored when he was in the dressing room getting his head bandaged up.

You could also take Fletcher's performances for Scotland. With poorer players around him he was awful. On the other hand I recall a young Ferguson playing England off the park at Wembley. His performance against Italy was also phenomenal.

Garbage it's called ball retention Barry played plenty of killer passes. Do you think that about xavi too?

Olé :thumbup: give & get, draw the opponent. Daren't imagine what those people thought of Wilkins :ohmy: .