Mccoist Deserves Credit If Rangers Go Up

McCoist deserves credit if Rangers go up, says Little

FORMER Rangers forward Andy Little believes Ally McCoist deserves his share of credit if the Ibrox side win their SPFL Premiership play-off final shoot-out against Motherwell.

The Northern Ireland international has just helped his Preston North End side into the Sky Bet Championship after they thrashed Swindon Town in the play-offs at Wembley.

Little - who left Ibrox last summer after failing to agree a new deal - will try and return to Scotland this week to watch his former side against Motherwell, as they do battle for a place in the Premiership on Thursday and Sunday.

He's delighted the club is in new hands under Dave King, but admits to being saddened at the plight of McCoist, who remains on gardening leave on full pay and whose managerial qualities have been openly questioned due to the relative success of Stuart McCall.

"The gaffer did a great job," said Little. "When he came in he kept the team together, kept the club together in far worse times than they have had lately.

"He deserves credit for that.

"Unfortunately, the results and performances weren't as good as he would have liked, so maybe it was understandable something had to change.

"He did a very good job of keeping the club together when I don't think any man could have done as well as him.

"Obviously, I left the club in the end, but there are no hard feelings between him and me and I think he did a great job.

And Little, who spent seven years at Ibrox playing at all levels from the top flight to the Third Division and netted an impressive tally of 34 goals in just 48 league starts, is thrilled his own club are back on steady ground.

He may have moved to Lancashire, but the 26-year-old still has Rangers - the club he refers to as 'we' - in his blood.

He stated: "The club needed that stability. It didn't matter how the team were doing, if you didn't have that stability at the very top it was never going to progress.

"But hopefully now the club are under Dave King and his board, there's good Rangers people there. Obviously, making John Greig Honorary Life President is a major boost for the club too.

"It's good for fans like myself to know there are good Rangers men at the heart of the club who want the best for the club."

Little is confident of a Rangers win this week to make it a double celebration for him.

He pointed out: "I think having a home and away tie helps us because we have already proved we can go and gain a big advantage at home and then do a job away from home.

"Hopefully, next week I'll have another promotion party to celebrate. It couldn't be any better for me really because the club I am playing for has got promoted and the club I support will hopefully get promoted too. The perfect week!

"I'm hoping to get up to the games, but it depends on what the club have planned and what the celebrations are.

"Obviously, it was slightly disappointing not to get a game, but I played my part and certainly enjoyed the celebrations afterwards."

Little missed out on the Wembley triumph as the Deepdale club finally won a play-off at the tenth time of asking and moved up to English football's second tier.

But he has no regrets at joining Preston, despite a frustrating campaign admits has made it a stop-start season for him.

He said: "It was great to be a part of the celebrations, but it's been a frustrating season for me personally.

"I couldn't have started the season any better - I was in the team and scoring goals, but I got one injury after another and that's been the problem.

"Once I came back, I had to try and get into a team that went on a run of 18 games undefeated so that was always going to be difficult.

"I came here to join a team who were hopefully going to get promoted and that's why I signed for Preston and, although this season hasn't gone well for me, the goal was to get into the Championship.

"Next season is a fresh start for me and I'm hoping to make an impact.

"I dont see any reason why we can't kick on next season and have a real go. We've played Championship teams in the Cup and matched them and beaten them.

"For me, it's a big summer and I'll come back ready to go."

Well this will get shot down and ridiculed by the haters on here - probably start hating little now as well !

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that's a good interview with Andy. The headline is taken way out of context with what he actually says and what he does infact say I'd agree with. The guy has held no grudges towards the club, he clearly is a huge supporter who loved his time playing for his team, something we would all love to do. He may not have been one of our greatest players but I for one can't knock him for effort, his goal to game ratio is pretty decent and I wish him well in the future. He'd always be welcome back at ibrox imo unlike many other so called Rangers fans.

Ally our goal scoring legend, there is none better. Ally the man who held the club together in our darkest hours deserves our thanks and praise. Ally the football manager, this is where I disagree with Andy Little, the first season on our way back was hard to judge him due to circumstances, but during the second season the signs that Ally was struggling as a manager tactically was very evident, even though we strolled the league I felt it was the time Ally stepped down. Was it his ego that made him stay on as manager or was it the big bucks he was receiving I don't know, but I do know he is not managerial material, this and the fact that Ally is still being paid while on gardening leave is turning fans against him which is a shame as he is one of our footballing greats and this should never be forgotten.

I've said it so many times on this site but I'll say it again.

Whilst in the First division last season, I had a couple of conversations with a Director of one of our championship opponents from this season. He stated, with no caveats, that the championship teams were not afraid of Rangers and reckoned we would struggle to get out of this League. When I pushed him a bit as to why, the answer was clear. We had a manager who was not capable of managing.

Ally deserves praise for what he did in the summer of 2012. For season 2011-2012, and every season since, he really needs to take a good look at himself because he was not up to the job. Green had him sussed from very early in his tenure, as did many on here. Praise him for his leadership in our darkest days, but he must be condemned for a poor showing as a manager. Anything else is simply wrong, misguided and denies the truth.

Ally deserves immense credit, yea he struggle to get the results towards the end and he's maybe not a great manager at the end of the day. He did however bring us through the toughest time the club has ever had. We can say he still shouldn't be getting laid but no one really knows what's actually going on with that. One thing we do know is we would not be 180 mins away from getting back to the SPL of it wasn't for Super Ally and I will always see him as a true legend!