D Mcgregor Will Be Surpluss To Requirement

Gillete

The way " Warbs " as they call him, likes to play football , he wants ball playing defenders.

A defender who is going to drop off at angles and take the ball off the GK and distribute to mid/Att.

A defender who will take possession of the ball regardless if an opposition player is right behind him and be comfy on it and won't panic.

This guy isn't the defender if that's the case

Might be a bit of a debate this but for me , one of the worst defenders I've ever saw in a rangers shirt.

Yes he would run through a brick wall and tackle his gran, but that doesn't mean he's a footballer!

Constantly caught out of position, can't pass a ball and only looks to boot the ball into a space up the pitch.

Second touch is a tackle.

Would get torn to shreds by a good striker who's mobile.

Hope he's moved on IMO

I don't think you know anything about defending.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor man's Broadfoot tbh. And I was no fan of Broadfoot either. McGregor is a big trier with limited ability who has done wonders to make the career he has. Plenty more skilled players don't make it which is testament to his good attitude but ultimately as we improve his weaknesses will be more apparent ie he won't be much good in a quick passing team

Very limited. Difficult to improve as he doesnt have the height, nor the ability, nor any positional sense. Much better at RB where being one dimensional can actually work for him and play to his strengths.

He would not get near rhe top ties. Squad player just now at best.

Some people not really getting this

Regardless if he was in your opinion , our best player .

Warburton wants players who can play out from the back .

Mcgregor cannot do this in the manner expected from the coaching staff (allegedly).

Hence the reason he is .... Surpluss to requirement

All IMO btw

Easy enough to work out ?

Mcgregor cannot do this in the manner expected from the coaching staff (allegedly).

All IMO btw

Not Easy to work out attall mate, A good coach will coach a good player into playing his way, and in my mind Darren Mcgregor is a good player.

All IMO btw

You'll have some really short threads on here if you don't think anyone should disagree with you.

Not Easy to work out attall mate, A good coach will coach a good player into playing his way, and in my mind Darren Mcgregor is a good player.

I don't think the boy can though

His distribution is horrible.

I like his commitment etc , he's certainly not one of the players who have pissed me off last yr but I can't see him being there long term

There a few players there I would like to see operate under a proper management team, Darren being one.

Proper training, coaching, tactics, motivated - pretty much everything we knocked out of them over time.

I am not for a second saying they will all come good however I think there may be a few surprises amongst the existing squad.

You would hope that since he showed himself to be reasonable at cb in this division last season that he would get a chance to show what he can do, there's not a lot of CB's out there that are good ball players, all we really need is to coach them in to realising we have a midfield!

Winning player of the year (virtually by default, quite frankly) in one of the worst Rangers teams it's been my misfortune to watch in all these years; that is absolutely no guarantee you should be first name on the team sheet for next season.

Apart from the fact he's poor in possession and his distribution is awful - which is exactly what W&W will be trying to bring - if one of his main strengths as a defender is power in the air and at set-plays, then he's going to have to work on that a heck of a lot, considering (as other have said) from crossed balls played in from the wings, he looks like he's not got a clue.

You would hope that since he showed himself to be reasonable at cb in this division last season that he would get a chance to show what he can do, there's not a lot of CB's out there that are good ball players, all we really need is to coach them in to realising we have a midfield!

Hopefully we can sign one before dropping the bombshell :lol:

Over to you, Dave.....

12 months to go on a £6k a week contract and our current player of the year, i think Warburton will at least try and help Darren play how the gaffer wants. I am sure he is one who will get a chance. Whether he can do it or not is another thing.