Midfield Enforcer

Some disturbing posts on here calling for Joey Barton, but on a more serious note, is there really a place for a midfield enforcer when fouls are given so cheaply these days?

I think a big defensive-minded midfielder is more appropriate in the style of Matic at Chelsea. I remember Ian Ferguson doing a good job there towards the end of his Rangers days.

Some disturbing posts on here calling for Joey Barton, but on a more serious note, is there really a place for a midfield enforcer when fouls are given so cheaply these days?

I think a big defensive-minded midfielder is more appropriate in the style of Matic at Chelsea. I remember Ian Ferguson doing a good job there towards the end of his Rangers days.

Ian Ferguson? That's some name to conjure with! I can still picture Paulo di Canio getting all upset with him, after we won the league at the piggery. Di Canio was behaving, just like the taig fucking hooligan that he was.

I have good memories of Ian Ferguson, was never one to pull out of a tackle, and played for the jersey, as well.

Ian Ferguson? That's some name to conjure with! I can still picture Paulo di Canio getting all upset with him, after we won the league at the piggery. Di Canio was behaving, just like the taig fucking hooligan that he was.

I have good memories of Ian Ferguson, was never one to pull out of a tackle, and played for the jersey, as well.

You don't win 10 league titles for nothing. Legend.

what about darren mcgregor - just a thought and he won't need to deal with any cross balls

In midfield? He barely has the control or competency to pass as a defender. When we start playing quickly on the deck the big man is going to struggle. Don't think he'll be a starter next season

We've had a few over the years. Tugay springs to mind straight away.

A fantastic example of a defensive midfielder who broke up play and kept it simple was Brahim Hemdani. A bit of an unsung hero but I thought he had genuine world class. The domestic games as a Rangers player didn't really suit his style of play since we were so dominant but in Europe I thought he was absolutely amazing.

Tugay was a deep lying playmaker like pirlo.

Never an enforcer as mentioned above the assessment of hemdani is spot on and as mentioned, if we want to be back dominating teams the way we used to.... We shouldn't need an enforcer in domestic games. If anything I think we lack an athlete in the middle of the park, he got a lot of criticism, but for where we are now a player with a similar workrate/build to edu would help us a lot.

I agree that we need a defensive midfielder. I'd like to see us take a punt on John Souttar the 18 year old guy from Dundee United. He can play at CB ad as a CDM ad we need strength i those positions. I think he only has a year left on his contract too.

I agree that we need a defensive midfielder. I'd like to see us take a punt on John Souttar the 18 year old guy from Dundee United. He can play at CB ad as a CDM ad we need strength i those positions. I think he only has a year left on his contract too.

Dundee Utd dont sell us players.

Claudio Reyna was a fantastic intelligent footballer who was often played out of position in a wide area, but he read the game so well he made the right decisions and he had terrific energy, but here is another for you.

NIGEL SPACKMAN :- a wonderful footballer, hard as nails who put out fires, never lost a tackle, never gave the ball away and he could also play.

You don't win 10 league titles for nothing. Legend.

It's nothing short of a disgrace that he never even reached double figures in international caps.

Just a quick check will inform you that guys like Gary Holt, Simon Donnelly and Paul Devlin won more caps than Fergie. I mean, seriously?!?

Same went for Bomber, he didn't seem to fit in with the national team regime at the time. Okay, we had Miller and McLeish and Gough during that time... But if Brian Irvine can get nine caps and Bomber not a single cap, then there is something seriously wrong. In a career that lasted as long as Thatcherism (1979-97) he really should have been given a shout.

It's nothing short of a disgrace that he never even reached double figures in international caps.

Just a quick check will inform you that guys like Gary Holt, Simon Donnelly and Paul Devlin won more caps than Fergie. I mean, seriously?!?

Same went for Bomber, he didn't seem to fit in with the national team regime at the time. Okay, we had Miller and McLeish and Gough during that time... But if Brian Irvine can get nine caps and Bomber not a single cap, then there is something seriously wrong. In a career that lasted as long as Thatcherism (1979-97) he really should have been given a shout at least once!

Alex McDonald: 1 cap

Davie Cooper : 22 caps

Christian Daily: 67 full caps and 35 under 21 caps,

go figure

Don't really need an enforcer as such, but if we're going for a youthful, forward-thinking middle 3 then a screen in front of two relatively inexperienced CB's is preferable for me.

And if he adds experience, knowledge and confidence, I don't care how old he is; Staying fit is more important.

Alex McDonald: 1 cap

Davie Cooper : 22 caps

Christian Daily: 67 full caps and 35 under 21 caps,

go figure

The Scotland Hall of Fame is littered with water-carriers, mate.

Davie Cooper is easily in the top ten Scottish players of all time (and many would say - Souness certainly said it - the most naturally-gifted of all time) and he didn't even reach the 25-cap milestone that Charlie Adam achieved last weekend.

That was the last OF game in the 9 in a row season, Di Canio didn't play for the bheggers when we won the league there. Although I'm sure you could argue that was the game that pretty much sealed 9 in a row.