Rob Kiernan: Im Over The Moon

Interview be rob kiernan (sorry if this is a double post)

ROB KIERNAN put pen-to-paper on a two-year contract with Rangers this morning and the powerful centre half is determined to be a big success in Scottish football.

The 24-year-old defender travelled up to Glasgow yesterday and was given a guided tour of Ibrox Stadium by Mark Warburton and assistant Davie Weir before being taken to see the superb facilities at Murray Park.

Kiernan joins the Gers from Wigan but having spent last season on loan at Birmingham City he feels in good shape to hit the ground running this summer and is relishing the prospect of working with the club's new management team.

Speaking to RangersTV, he said: "I'm over the moon to be honest. I'm so glad it's been done now and I can concentrate on going forward.

"When Mark phoned me I think that was the persuading factor. I've known Mark for a while and I've been eager to work with him for a long time.

"I think it's going to be good, I think he's going to be good for me and good for the club.

"I think we can go forward together and with David (Weir) around him it's going to be good."

When asked if Warburton’s desire to bring him to Rangers came as a shock, the Republic of Ireland Under-21 cap replied: "I wouldn't say shock, I was obviously over the moon when he gave me the call but we've tried to link up before at previous clubs and he's someone I admire.

“I think he's done really well from what he has come from and he's known me as a kid actually at Watford.

"He helped me a lot so I wasn't surprised, I was over the moon obviously, but I'm glad he's done that now.

"As soon as I saw that he got the (Rangers) job that was something I was definitely interested in.

"When he gave me the phone call I said 'Listen Mark, there's no doubt in my mind I'll come and play for you and for Rangers'.

"What an opportunity. I've just been to the stadium, I've looked around [Murray Park] and it's definitely the right decision for me, I'm made up."

Working with former central defender Davie Weir is also a massive bonus for Kiernan who believes he can learn a lot from the club’s new assistant manager.

He said: "He's a massive legend and I actually remember watching him as a kid.

"I spoke to the lads at Brentford that worked with him and he's someone I think I can learn a lot off. I hope he rubs off on me and I think he can teach me things.

"Everybody has got to learn, I'm nowhere near the finished article I know that, and hopefully he can do that and I think he will. It will be good to work with him."

Like most players, Kiernan was reluctant to highlight his own attributes as a defender, letting others do that, but he believes he does have the qualities required for the style of play Mark Warburton will want from his Rangers side.

He added: "I don't want to sit here and tell everyone what I want to be but I like to think I'm a defender first and foremost, I want to keep clean sheets for the team.

"I want to be reliable but also I would like to think I can be quite comfortable on the ball. Mark wants to play out from the back, he wants to get on the ball and hopefully I can show everyone here that I'm comfortable in possession.

"I like to have the ball at my feet as well as defending and feed people into positions and create things from the back so that we can go on and score goals.

"But first and foremost I am here to defend and hopefully whoever I link up with and play with we can keep clean sheets and help give that platform which lets the rest do their magic and score some goals."

Here's an interview on the official site. It's very good and he comes across as a sensible, serious, motivated young man. This is exactly what Warburton said he wanted.

I'm beginning to get a wee bit enthusiastic about the way Warburton goes about his work. It's starting to look like all his supporters on here were onto something.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9511-rangers-is-another-level?

Here's an interview on the official site. It's very good and he comes across as a sensible, serious, motivated young man. This is exactly what Warburton said he wanted.

I'm beginning to get a wee bit enthusiastic about the way Warburton goes about his work. It's starting to look like all his supporters on here were onto something.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9511-rangers-is-another-level?

I am feeling optimistic, if follows this trend by bringing in players that really want to be part of this club they will rub off on the players here and the feel good factor will return. Good times being a bear (eventually)

To coin a certain Mr Partridge.... Lovely stuff.

Great to hear he's genuinely excited about being here, the club with its massive tradition and history, coupled with the fact we have a management team who are engaging and hard working, the club is an easy sell just now, for any player.

All the best Rob.

Good words to hear from a young player.

Appears humble and eager to improve.

I hope the attitude catches on with some of the players left over from last season because humility and a desire to improve and deliver for the club and fans was sadly lacking from many of them.

Chuffed with this signing and the noises the boy is making, but slightly disappointed it's only a two year deal.

Hopefully he'll sign an extension this time next year once we're promoted and after having had an excellent first season with us :thumbup:

Chuffed with this signing and the noises the boy is making, but slightly disappointed it's only a two year deal.

Hopefully he'll sign an extension this time next year once we're promoted and after having had an excellent first season with us :thumbup:

I reckon given potential injury concerns.

If he's up to it then he'll likely be offered an extension.