Leaving A Legacy (Honestly, I'm Not Mental)

JWAC

Ok so I am a bit of a pessimist, for me it keeps me sane when sometimes things turn out the way they do....

Don't anyone think I'm about to jump off a bridge and please don't flame me because I know we're just 2 games into the season and at the start of a brand new and exciting era.

I started to think we've won a watch with both our new management and board of directors and that they're finally switched on to what the majority of the support have always wanted i.e. a complete and radical change in football philosophy providing entertainment to us, the support.

Now this is the bit which might make me look a sandwich short of a picnic, I've started to think if MW and DW continue to show the promise they've shown, get us back to the top challenging for the league and playing a part in Europe, all with a small budget and playing attractive football, we'll have to face the inevitability that "bigger" clubs will come looking.

That's life and we've a long way to go yet but in years to come I hope we see this as the turning point for Rangers. The point in time when we showed the blueprint to the rest of Scottish football this is how football should be played, how a club should be run and how to encourage and promote skillful football.

Again, I know MW and DW have just started and though I might seem I'm looking to when they leave, I just want to see the next 5, 10, 15 etc years use what we're seeing now as the legacy.

Time to put on my tinfoil hat :D

I know, didn't mean to sound like that either. I don't think I'm going over the top but this is biggest fundamental change in our attitude towards football I've ever seen.

JEEZO lads let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet!! Just enjoy the magic!!

I know, didn't mean to sound like that either. I don't think I'm going over the top but this is biggest fundamental change in our attitude towards football I've ever seen.

You could well be right Jim but let's just soak it up for a while before we start wondering about him leaving!

I've not felt so utterly delighted as a Rangers fan in years! We could see some amazing stuff this season

I'm soaking it all up, the atmosphere outside and inside the ground was just brilliant against st boo. I guess all I'm saying is I hope we never change this attitude towards football we have now.

I should probably delete this thread now, if I could :D

You could well be right Jim but let's just soak it up for a while before we start wondering about him leaving!
I've not felt so utterly delighted as a Rangers fan in years! We could see some amazing stuff this season

If we continue in this vain of form and football, we will inevitably reach the pinicale of Scottish football sooner rather than later, and of course that will bring with it a decent shot at European football, if and when we do well for our budget (let's not kid ourselves here) then of course there will come a time when decent English sides come looking, but I really hope that Mr. Warburton has bought into the fact that he has a clean canvas to start whole new ethos on one of the worlds most famous and successful clubs and lets get this right, chances like this honestly don't come around every day and it's clear that money is not his motivation as he's a self made millionaire, and football is his passion. The one club that could obviously tempt him south again would be Spurs as that's always been the club he's supported but like I said hopefully that is in a long long time to come.

In time you could well be found to be correct. Scottish football as a whole would be a better place with the attacking philosophy in which Warburton clearly has.

There is still a long way to go before we find out if it works out, in terms of trophy success. But it is certainly great to watch, so maybe one day other teams may well look to this era and attempt to emulate the style of play we now have, if indeed it proves successful and for me the Scottish game would be all the better for it.

In time you could well be found to be correct. Scottish football as a whole would be a better place with the attacking philosophy in which Warburton clearly has.

There is still a long way to go before we find out if it works out, in terms of trophy success. But it is certainly great to watch, so maybe one day other teams may well look to this era and attempt to emulate the style of play we now have, if indeed it proves successful and for me the Scottish game would be all the better for it.

Spot on.

It really isn't. Walter was a good manager but his assistant didn't turn out to be a success.

The thing is, Walter didn't have a strategic plan where everyone knew what they were doing, he bought players rather than develop them - what we have now is a coaching set up playing the same way from youth level so that players can learn the system and the know the positions well before first team experience, once that has been implemented added to the statistical approach of the management, it should be possible to attract a manager/coach to utilize these mechanisms. Using ally as a example is completely disregarding what Warburton is working towards here imo

Can see DW taking over once Warburton heads back South tbh...

As long as the foundations are laid it should be easy to appoint a manager that can continue along the same lines

That was my first thought, the second was "I hope he leaves his hat".

The thing is, Walter didn't have a strategic plan where everyone knew what they were doing, he bought players rather than develop them - what we have now is a coaching set up playing the same way from youth level so that players can learn the system and the know the positions well before first team experience, once that has been implemented added to the statistical approach of the management, it should be possible to attract a manager/coach to utilize these mechanisms. Using ally as a example is completely disregarding what Warburton is working towards here imo

Think it's a bit premature to be thinking of Mr Warburtons replacement right now.

I'm agreeing with what you say, the manager has to be the exemplar of what the club is about but it has to be from top to bottom, the whole club has to have the same ethos.

If I'm being honest and again negative, in my 30 years watching Rangers we've been rudderless. We've won countless trophies but for most of that I've not been excited how we played football. Our run in the UEFA cup was brilliant but not for the football we played, there were moments of footballing brilliance but we were mostly backs against the wall defending.

I'm actually really bitter at the lack of progression during those dominant Murray years (and the european fuck ups), I always thought we should have been doing then what we are doing now, a focus on youth and skillful football.

Walter won trophies, tons of them and that would suggest to me everyone knew what they were doing. Warburton has had a great start but that's all it is so far.

With his links to many clubs, including his supported team, Spurs. I can see offers go in for him if he takes us to top again, its inevitable. However, I reckon he will want to crack Europe, and there are not too many teams in England likely to go for him which can offer him that chance.

He won't get a big job in England unless he does something with us in Europe.

However, if and when Warbs does move on I would hope that the board would appoint a manager who plays exactly the same way. It can be done. Just look at a club like Swansea. They've played the same way for years as they worked their way through the divisions.

Southampton and Swansea get a manager that fits with their philosophy. MW has started to lay down a winning Philosophy at Rangers and when he goes, many years from now, we should appoint a manager who has that same philosophy.