PaulReid

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Lintero said:

True.

That left peg :drool:

That's very true and players like Albertz are a case in point when we think about a player's contribution to a team as opposed to their value in the transfer market. although he did make three appearances for Germany, I remember the German coach laughing at suggestions he should play for the national side. If I remember correctly he often played out of position and still chipped in with 51 goals in 137 appearances. Forrester looks like he is the kind of player Warburton wants in his team, and so far he's been right.

On match fitness - I am bemused how a player looks "unfit"    Even if they are not playing regularly in the first team there are daily opportunities for match practice, gym work, jogging and proper diet.

For a player to come on and be "lacking" match fitness is down to that player either being lazy in his daily fitness regime or attitude. It's not acceptable imo that a player should come on for our team and look short on fitness. No excuse, never. They should pull on our jersey being 100% fit. 

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

On match fitness - I am bemused how a player looks "unfit"    Even if they are not playing regularly in the first team there are daily opportunities for match practice, gym work, jogging and proper diet.

For a player to come on and be "lacking" match fitness is down to that player either being lazy in his daily fitness regime or attitude. It's not acceptable imo that a player should come on for our team and look short on fitness. No excuse, never. They should pull on our jersey being 100% fit. 

You can never get match fit without playing in competitive games of football. Players come back from injuries and they look wildly off the pace but they're fully fit. That match sharpness takes a while to come back - irrespective of who you are or who you play for. Obviously the elite players pick it back up a lot quicker than lower level ones. 

i.e. Sanchez came on against Chelsea the other day and did absolutely fuck all. Touch was poor. Passing was poor. 

His first game when he came on he was way off the pace, however he improved a lot when he came on at Morton. Took the ball for a run a few times and was a good outlet on the wings when we went down to 10 men. Unlucky not to score and good to see him have the confidence to take a couple of shots as well. I think he will come good another couple of 20 minute appearances to get him up too speed with the way we play and I think he will get a few starts as well to show us what he can do. 

5 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

You can never get match fit without playing in competitive games of football. Players come back from injuries and they look wildly off the pace but they're fully fit. That match sharpness takes a while to come back - irrespective of who you are or who you play for. Obviously the elite players pick it back up a lot quicker than lower level ones. 

i.e. Sanchez came on against Chelsea the other day and did absolutely fuck all. Touch was poor. Passing was poor. 

Don't agree. There's lots of opportunities to get "match" fit before using a competitive game to get match fit. A player turning up playing heavy legged, second to everything etc is not ready for first team action. They become a liability otherwise. 

If he remains the player that arrived day one then I don't think he's good enough. Warbs and Weir will set about improving him and getting him up to the standard required. If he doesn't respond to the coaching then he'll be gone after the six months. 

In his early days at Brentford he looked a real prospect capable of running a game and getting goals. I think his move from Brentford to donnie was a mistake and stalled his career.We've nothing to lose with this deal. He's got six months to prove his potential. If he does we have a good player

19 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Don't agree. There's lots of opportunities to get "match" fit before using a competitive game to get match fit. A player turning up playing heavy legged, second to everything etc is not ready for first team action. They become a liability otherwise. 

Its not about physical fitness its about being tuned to the specific needs of a high intensity match situation. Its a mental as well as physical thing. You may not agree but its widely accepted that it can take a player time to readjust to the specific demands of a competitive game. Its not just football either its pretty much any high level sport.

5 hours ago, RFC Eagle said:

Its not about physical fitness its about being tuned to the specific needs of a high intensity match situation. Its a mental as well as physical thing. You may not agree but its widely accepted that it can take a player time to readjust to the specific demands of a competitive game. Its not just football either its pretty much any high level sport.

What, like playing once a week for 90 mins (or 30mins if he is a sub)?

why does this ensure that a player is up to speed, surely the element of building a player's mental/physical attitude is done every single day in training - 90mins is not gonna do this for him.

I stand by my point that if a player comes on for our team, looks heavy legged, off the pace and not "match fit" - he should not be playing as he is a liabilty. we have no room for players who look "not match fit" - wait till they are.

look at it like this:

you don't play a fat player every week so he becomes thin, you start with him being thin in the first place -

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

What, like playing once a week for 90 mins (or 30mins if he is a sub)?

why does this ensure that a player is up to speed, surely the element of building a player's mental/physical attitude is done every single day in training - 90mins is not gonna do this for him.

I stand by my point that if a player comes on for our team, looks heavy legged, off the pace and not "match fit" - he should not be playing as he is a liabilty. we have no room for players who look "not match fit" - wait till they are.

look at it like this:

you don't play a fat player every week so he becomes thin, you start with him being thin in the first place -

You really have completely missed the point. Ask players at all levels and they will tell you the difference between training and being 'match fit'. You are taking physical fitness into account but ignoring every other aspect of competitive sport. Being 'heavy legged' is not just a physical term its just as related to the mental aspects of performance. 

Its why players coming back from injury play reserve games or start on the bench when they are coming back from injury. Of course you will know better than all the professional sportspeople, coaches, sports physiologists etc who have explained the difference between training and competitive sport over a number of years? 

You could probably ask Puskas (notably rotund) if they played him to make him thin or because he had 'match fitness' beyond physical stamina.

1 minute ago, Skyson1872 said:

Same, would drop Miller, might get the odd goal but I think he is dire anywhere other than the 18 yard box.

I dont rate Miller now and never wanted him to get a new contract, But that aside he was the difference the other night and in a few games lately.

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

I dont rate Miller now and never wanted him to get a new contract, But that aside he was the difference the other night and in a few games lately.

I agree, I'll admit sometimes he does make a difference but that is very rarely, we miss a lot of chances and he is the main culprit of that, he has had some horrendous misses.

2 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

I agree, I'll admit sometimes he does make a difference but that is very rarely, we miss a lot of chances and he is the main culprit of that, he has had some horrendous misses.

The thing that pisses me off the most about Miller is he never holds his position up top it must be murder for the second striker linking up with him.

He tries to do too much at times, now at his age he should be making better runs rather than being all over the place.

Luckily we have Holt and Waghorn who link up really well.

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

The thing that pisses me off the most about Miller is he never holds his position up top it must be murder for the second striker linking up with him.

Luckily we have Holt and Waghorn who link up really well.

I admire his work rate but its like he is trying too hard to impress.