*****Official Raith Rovers v Rangers Match Thread*****

ForeverAndEver

3 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

I'd rather start Zel and keep Holt on the bench, only bringing him on if the situation calls for it.

Rather keep Holt fit for Saturday.

Possibly, but I do think we missed Holt on Saturday, his driving runs beyond the attack are immense.

I do like Zel though, think he gets some uncalled for stick/criticism, for 19, he looks like a complete footballer. He's much better suited to a 4-2-3-1 IMO, with him holding, being tidy and slipping quick balls into the 3 attackers behind the forward.

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

The hate Danny Wilson gets is unreal. Always a whipping boy at Rangers, even when we're playing well.

He had a great game at the weekend. 

I wouldn't go as far as say he had a great game,  but fair play to the guy for pulling himself together after getting absolutely skinned in the first 5 mins. 

2 hours ago, Lintero said:

I do like Zel though, think he gets some uncalled for stick/criticism, for 19, he looks like a complete footballer. He's much better suited to a 4-2-3-1 IMO, with him holding, being tidy and slipping quick balls into the 3 attackers behind the forward.

He doesn't get uncalled for stick. If anything he has people going on about how 'classy' a player he is.

He is crap. Complete footballer my hairy ring. The boy cant  pass to a blue jersey over 5 yards, has no heart aka sh!tting it out of 50/50 tackles, doesn't track back after losing the ball, slows down play and allows opposition to get back into formation and finally has the worst shooting I've seen.

Sorry but a wonder kid he is not.

All this pish too about 'he is only 19' blah blah blah if this was one of our own youngsters he would get pelters and calls to drop him, half of the drooling on here is because he is supposedly rated highly by Arsenal and the yanks.

2 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

He doesn't get uncalled for stick. If anything he has people going on about how 'classy' a player he is.

He is crap. Complete footballer my hairy ring. The boy cant  pass to a blue jersey over 5 yards, has no heart aka sh!tting it out of 50/50 tackles, doesn't track back after losing the ball, slows down play and allows opposition to get back into formation and finally has the worst shooting I've seen.

All this pish too about 'he is only 19' blah blah blah if this was one of our own youngsters he would get pelters and calls to drop him, half of the drooling on here is because he is supposedly rated highly by Arsenal and the yanks.

He's also highly rated by our manager who is doing a pretty good job so far. 

3 minutes ago, Lidl said:

He's also highly rated by our manager who is doing a pretty good job so far. 

So highly rated, Nicky Law (who is a better player) who half our fans slate starts before him.

Tell me Im wrong about anything I've said above. If Warburton rates him so much that's up to him, but does he really? Seems to me he is never trusted to start any of our big games. He is a luxury player

2 hours ago, Lintero said:

Possibly, but I do think we missed Holt on Saturday, his driving runs beyond the attack are immense.

He should be nowhere near the holding role. 

In a 4321 I would put him behind the attackers. He doesn't have enough athletesism for anything else

Just now, BigBearButt said:

So highly rated, Nicky Law (who is a better player) who half our fans slate starts before him.

Tell me Im wrong about anything I've said above. If Warburton rates him so much that's up to him, but does he really? Seems to me he is never trusted to start any of our big games. He is a luxury player

Nicky Law is like marmite on here...

When we get to the gritty end I don't expect to see Zelalem starting, I do expect to see him on the bench though as he can fair pick out a killer pass.

9 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

Seriously?

The boy is actually two or three passes ahead of everyone else, the only player who gave him the ball quickly, to feet, when he wanted it and would then go for the correct return was Oduwa, as much as I like Holt, Halliday etc, they aren't even close to the level he's on. 19 years old, gets on the ball and controls play like he's been doing it for years.

Mckay and Him tend to link up well, and that's because Mckay goes for a return and gives the ball out quickly. can't wait to see O'Halloran use his pace to Zel's advantage, it's almost impossible to get inbehind teams when they sit so deep, MOH can offer Zel that outlet and I think that could be a potent partnership

Just now, allgers said:

Nicky Law is like marmite on here...

When we get to the gritty end I don't expect to see Zelalem starting, I do expect to see him on the bench though as he can fair pick out a killer pass.

I keep hearing this killer pass phrase yet am still to see it in action.

1 minute ago, Lintero said:

Seriously?

The boy is actually two or three passes ahead of everyone else, the only player who gave him the ball quickly, to feet, when he wanted it and would then go for the correct return was Oduwa, as much as I like Holt, Halliday etc, they aren't even close to the level he's on. 19 years old, gets on the ball and controls play like he's been doing it for years.

Mckay and Him tend to link up well, and that's because Mckay goes for a return and gives the ball out quickly. can't wait to see O'Halloran use his pace to Zel's advantage, it's almost impossible to get inbehind teams when they sit so deep, MOH can offer Zel that outlet and I think that could be a potent partnership

You don't have a clue you were talking about playing him in a holding role ffs. Wee stick man who cant tackle spraying the ball sideways all game. No thanks.

As I said if you want to talk about quality youngsters at rangers look to the likes of Ferguson or Arteta. They didn't have 'potential' they walked the walk, played at the highest level as teenagers and didn't look out of place. This fawning over an Arsenal prospect who gets bullied and isn't even a standout in the Scottish Championship is embarrassing. 

When our midfield is fully fit who is he replacing?

Holt? Haliday? Law? the only one I rate him higher than is sheils but that doesn't say much.

2 minutes ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

He should be nowhere near the holding role.

In a 4321 I would put him behind the attackers. He doesn't have enough athletesism for anything else

Really? Just shows you how different two people see a game.

I think he's surprisingly quick, not MOH or Mckay quick, but for a CM position he's probably our quickest? Holt may just edge him.

In a 4-2-3-1, holding with a Viera type, the lad would control games and be a star, looking to break forward and leave the next Viera to mop up any breaks. As I say, next time he plays, watch him after he's played a ''simple'' ball, he'll always look for a return, and 9 times out of 10, he doesn't get it.

The lad is unbelievably silky, could watch him all day

21 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

Not being disrespectful but you obviously know nothing about football and I doubt you have ever played the game seriously, either that you are about 12.  

Anyhow enjoy the game today and try to watch with open eyes and an open mind.

2 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Not being disrespectful but you obviously know nothing about football and I doubt you have ever played the game seriously, either that you are about 12.  

Anyhow enjoy the game today and try to watch with open eyes and an open mind.

yeah and you are Pele I'm sure.

Tell me who this lad should be playing ahead of on merit? I'd love to hear it?

I just don't see the point in developing someone from Arsenal who quite frankly isn't as good as players we have on our books. Bar his first game and some nice touches here and there he hasn't turned up.

2 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

You don't have a clue you were talking about playing him in a holding role ffs. Wee stick man who cant tackle spraying the ball sideways all game. No thanks.

As I said if you want to talk about quality youngsters at rangers look to the likes of Ferguson or Arteta. They didn't have 'potential' they walked the walk, played at the highest level as teenagers and didn't look out of place. This fawning over an Arsenal prospect who gets bullied and isn't even a standout in the Scottish Championship is embarrassing.

Holt? Haliday? Law? the only one I rate him higher than is sheils but that doesn't say much.

He'd replace any of them, in a 4-2-3-1 formation. A 4-3-3 asks a lot of our midfielders, Zel is a luxury player and to be down a man or two depending on how the opposition line up, if they have 4 or 5 in there etc, will show.

As for the bold, go and have a look at Thiago at Bayern, he plays the holding role next to Alonso, neither of them are crunching into tackles but they are excellent holding mids in a 4-2-3-1

He'll play for Arsenal IMO, either beside Coquellin or someone else if they bring in another Viera, and he'll look outstanding

10 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

6 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

Offft wan assist.

:lol:

I'm with big SuperTav though, reckon it'll start to click for him and the others around him eventually. If anything, this issue is our midfielders trying to match his level and trying to understand him as a player.

Dare I say it, most of our players wouldn't even be allowed to put out cones in the Arsenal youth teams never mind star for them.

And I think this is the best team we've had in years, including the Davis/Mendes/Boogie era, we look far better as a unit.

26 minutes ago, Lintero said:

He'd replace any of them, in a 4-2-3-1 formation. A 4-3-3 asks a lot of our midfielders, Zel is a luxury player and to be down a man or two depending on how the opposition line up, if they have 4 or 5 in there etc, will show.

As for the bold, go and have a look at Thiago at Bayern, he plays the holding role next to Alonso, neither of them are crunching into tackles but they are excellent holding mids in a 4-2-3-1

He'll play for Arsenal IMO, either beside Coquellin or someone else if they bring in another Viera, and he'll look outstanding

We dont play that formation. We play 433 at all levels from youth to first team. Please do not tell me you think we should change formation to try and coax a player out of a loan teenager

6 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

We dont play that formation. We play 433 at all levels from youth to first team. Please do not tell me you think we sho

Yeah, and I didn't include him in my line up tonight (tu)

I'm saying that formation doesn't suit him, but, IMO, you can see the lad would stroll it in a 4-2-3-1, especially in a European league with more space and less intensity.

ETA - getting off topic with this anyway.

4-0 Rangers. Waggy double (tu)

1 hour ago, BigBearButt said:

:lol: Clueless. 

Nice cushy 3-0 win tonight Gers.  Not really much time for zelalem he's OK round about halfway to 18 yd line but has no conviction in through balls or shots( his shots are as weak as becks blue).   He's tidy on the ball and good at going sideways, could be a great player in the future but law starts ahead of him for the time being at least.

waghorn is due a goal so I reckon it's a hatrick for him tonight