McCoist looking well

WilliamFyfe

Legends don't always have to have been a success do they?  

Ally will always be a Rangers playing legend.  His goals and personality crowned that whole wonderful period of the late 80s and then the 90s.  We have the 9 in a row due in no small way to him.  I suppose some younger bears will only really have experienced him latterly in coaching and management which will skew their view unfortunately. I can't think anything bad about him.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Gooseman said:

You and I,  like our fan base,  have different options about McCoist.  I grew up watching him as I'm sure you did, he is one of our greatest players and for that alone he deserves our respect.  The management part I can over look,  other can't.  

the being a bad manager part i can forgive but some of his other actions i cant,I'm sure over time my feelings towards him will mellow but I'll never think of him the same way which is a shame

18 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

Great player and should remain in the Rangers History books for all he did. 

and although it's easy to down talk him as a manager which yeah he was shit, he did get us back up to the championship when presumably no other manager would.

Hell we even saw a season when we were completely unbeaten under him. He done a decent enough job but wasn't good enough to take us back to the PL. He'll stay a legend in my books. 

your 2nd and 3rd paragraph are surely you taking the piss

8 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Lost to a Stirling Albion team who were sitting bottom of the third division and who didn't even have their manager in the dugout that day becuase he was away getting married.

He was never a manager and he should never have been given the job to begin with, let alone kept it for as long as he did.

What did Smith see in him and KM as the men to take us forward? thanks Walter.

25 minutes ago, delamonty said:

Sorry mate but's that's fucking nonsense. Many posts here are trying to establish Ally's contributions as a player vs Manager.  It's pretty clear his legend status is intact.. other stuff taints it.. but not enough to take his legend status away.

It will be a long time (imho) where he is welcomed by our support back to Ibrox though...

Sums it up for me. 

Indeed a legend, but for now my main memory of  Ally is him standing passionless with arms folded as our team suffered embarrassment after embarrasssment.

47 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

that karaoke shouldve been the end of him,he shouldve been removed of the option to "walk away" a nice little soundbite coined by Ally there that many fans bought into and incredibly still do,would you walk away from an 800k job the guys a charlatan

Soundbites like that were important back then. They did a huge amount to galvanise a reeling support. For all McCoist deserves alot of criticism, selectively remembering things like this isn't fair. At the start McCoist was a good leader of a club having a difficult time. He proved a failure as a leader as a football manager, though and in other senses he started to disappoint. But not at the beginning of our troubles.

We rallied behind phrases like 'we don't do walking away' and 'if they played in the streets we'd watch from the pavements'. I mean, it might seem a little cheezy now, but back then it didn't. They were rallying cries we needed and that were coming from nobody else.

Many of us dont hold bad thoughts towards ally due to his abysmal managerial abilities, yes he was fucking brutal, but thats gone now and we are on the road to recovery on the park, bad managers will come and go

our objections come from his fucking greed, at a time when the club was struggling financially, ally renegotiated his contract to include quite possibly the most ridiculous clauses ever seen for a manager that was failing at the job, 1.5mill if we served him his notice was a disgrace and no way did ally not have a clue that it was put in, he had wallace over a barrel and knew it

at a time when fans were paying good money to watch the pish he served up, he then takes home a kings ransom to fail at the easiest job scottish football has ever seen :angry:

23 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Soundbites like that were important back then. They did a huge amount to galvanise a reeling support. For all McCoist deserves alot of criticism, selectively remembering things like this isn't fair. At the start McCoist was a good leader of a club having a difficult time. He proved a failure as a leader as a football manager, though and in other senses he started to disappoint. But not at the beginning of our troubles.

We rallied behind phrases like 'we don't do walking away' and 'if they played in the streets we'd watch from the pavements'. I mean, it might seem a little cheezy now, but back then it didn't. They were rallying cries we needed and that were coming from nobody else.

yeah you're probably right i'm just struggling to see any positives of McCoists reign tbh,that particular soundbite did however make it near impossible for him to quit

11 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

yeah you're probably right i'm just struggling to see any positives of McCoists reign tbh,that particular soundbite did however make it near impossible for him to quit

It did.

Personally, I'd put that down to it being an unfortunate side effect of the soudbite though. Doubt McCoist thought of it at the time. None of us did.

22 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

more to the point, it made him virtually unsackable, not even the current board imo would have had the balls to sack ally or serve him his notice, had he not quit we might still actually have him the now

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

more to the point, it made him virtually unsackable, not even the current board imo would have had the balls to sack ally or serve him his notice, had he not quit we might still actually have him the now

i think he was sacked tbh,i think "gardening leave" was just seen as a more acceptable way of putting it surely if he'd walked his contract would've been null and void and we wouldnt have been obliged to keep paying him

5 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

i think he was sacked tbh,i think "gardening leave" was just seen as a more acceptable way of putting it surely if he'd walked his contract would've been null and void and we wouldnt have been obliged to keep paying him

seemingly not so, at the time it was widely reported that if ally resigned his wage would revert to pre negotiated amount (which he got), and if he was sacked/served notice to fuck off in a year he was to be given 150% of his pre negotiated contract amount

unbelievable contract that he and his agent negotiated when wallace was over a barrel trying to cut costs everywhere at the club

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

seemingly not so, at the time it was widely reported that if ally resigned his wage would revert to pre negotiated amount (which he got), and if he was sacked/served notice to fuck off in a year he was to be given 150% of his pre negotiated contract amount

unbelievable contract that he and his agent negotiated when wallace was over a barrel trying to cut costs everywhere at the club

criminal whoever signed off those contracts............as if we hadn't already been fucked over enough for supposedly one of us to do that is pretty much much why i cant forgive him

10 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

criminal whoever signed off those contracts............as if we hadn't already been fucked over enough for supposedly one of us to do that is pretty much much why i cant forgive him

would be harsh on graham wallace tbh given he was desperate to deal with the overpaid contracts, however the likes of bain and co that gave ally the rolling contract in the first place should be strugn up along with SDM for the way this club was left pre whyte

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Was a frontman for the club nothing more and the walking away comment was a millstone around his and the clubs neck.  Oh well all in the past, better times ahead.

Just now, siddiqi_drinker said:

Was a frontman for the club nothing more and the walking away comment was a millstone around his and the clubs neck.  Oh well all in the past, better times ahead.

He was a leader at that time. And it wasn't a millstone at the time, it became one. It was important at the time.

But yes, hopefully the kind of thing that we won't have to discuss ever again...

In life I've always thought that if you're happy about where you are then you can have no regrets about the past for all you've done has led you to where you are.

Starting to take the same view about Ally, and why shouldn't it be good to see a Rangers legend looking well.