WilliamFyfe

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

You have a bad memory bud . 90% of Rangers fans wanted rid of Ally. That wasn't for the list you made .

Every bear of my age knows what he did as a player . I was there for every goal he scored against beggars . He was my footballing hero .

Fucking pathetic Manager who soiled that .He is a different person for me now .Although I won't resort to name calling .

90% wanting rid included me btw. :541:

Problem is, myself and very few others choose to look at the circumstances under which he was our manager and take them into consideration when analyising his tenure.  Just about from the moment he took the job, we were an absolute basket case from top to bottom with the plug pulled out, everything running down the drain and everyone, from the press, every other club and our own association lining to take kicks and pops...many of our own fans also turned against our own...and it's still happening but healing.

It's old ground, but I'm still struggling with the fact people expected McCoist do be doing then what Warburton is now (building for now and the future) when all the mechanisms for doing so were being dismantled and removed.  Like I said...old ground but one of the main ones that I will forever not be able to understand the argument for.

Like I said, I wanted rid of too, but primarily for the fact that he looked spent, no energy, little enthusiasm and he seemed to me he was staying, initially as a sense of duty and responsibility, eventually perhaps even out of pig headedness in a belief he could "fix" things...he couldn't...he was the wrong type of manager, the wrong type of character.  The only thing I'll hold against him is that...he stayed too long and gave the most vehement critics in his own support the chance to deride him.

The time for him to leave was probably after fighting our corner to keep our records intact.  Had he chose to leave then there would be a statue of him beside Greig.  That one act of keeping our records intact, and with it our reputation, is worth more than all the records of his playing exploits and three years of below average team management rolled into one.  It was that important.  

The fact that others barely acknowledge that defining moment in our history and fail to recognise the importance of it, but instead choose to focus on the fact that "he took more money than he's worth" totally baffles me.

For me it's not about the manager, I don't have an issue with him being a poor manager, I don't have an issue with him staying on for too long either. He wasn't as successful as a player without being single minded, stubborn, hard skinned with ultimate confidence in his own ability so it's hardly surprising he believed he could be successful in the job. I don't have an issue with his salary either as that was set by the board.

I have an issue with him taking over £80k a month from the club once he had left. He could quite easily have got another job in the media and we could all have moved on. The club could have afforded a real coach instead of the McDowall fiasco. McCoist's playing legacy would have been intact.

Instead, quite rightly he has left himself open to those who say his only interest in the club was financial.

50 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Fuck sake don't remind folks of that, it will keep them up at night with the "but ... but's". 

We were 15 points clear in November (they had two games in hand) and by New Year they had overtaken us and were clear at the top.

I know off the field issues were starting to come to the fore and that would have played a part in the poor form, but that sort of collapse (along with getting fucked out of Europe twice and losing to a first division side in the league cup) would have seen any other manager hounded out.

1 hour ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

I would have thought Ally would have come out by now and told his side of the story, at least give us something to forgive him for, but it seems he'd rather not.

Or maybe theres a major court case coming up involving those who were in charge under him doh

See if youre trying to devalue what McCoist did as a player because "he got payed a fortune to do it" then you are a cunt. A sad bitter cunt who may as well never come back to watch a game because money is what makes football these days and you'll never appreciate another player again.

You might as well say "Rangers are only successful because were the richest team in the country, if it werent for our money the taigs would have more trophies"

Players come and go, they get payed good money, Ally McCoist as a player got nothing near what the players today get. If you dont appreciate Allys contribution as a player because he got payed for it then you can go fuck yourself as there is no point in you supporting a football team. Sad wankers.

4 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

In fairness he also gave me and many others around my age their best ever years of our football supporting lives.

Cunt of a manager great striker. Probably sums it up

Spot on.   I will do my best to blot out most of his managerial time :lol:   I am also really dissapointed in a few tings he done while manager like the wage stuff, and the lies about his voting intentions in the lead up the the AGM.   But ffs, it's super Ally.  One of my favorite ever Rangers players, and the clubs top goal scorer.  I'll never forget that.

As a manager he was crap. I don't hold that against him that can happen. But the way he wrung every last cent he could get from the club will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. He failed as a manager and the honourable thing to have done was resigned and left. Not as if the club had not already made him wealthy to the point where he never need work again if he so choose. 

23 minutes ago, Willis said:

See if youre trying to devalue what McCoist did as a player because "he got payed a fortune to do it" then you are a cunt. A sad bitter cunt who may as well never come back to watch a game because money is what makes football these days and you'll never appreciate another player again.

You might as well say "Rangers are only successful because were the richest team in the country, if it werent for our money the taigs would have more trophies"

Players come and go, they get payed good money, Ally McCoist as a player got nothing near what the players today get. If you dont appreciate Allys contribution as a player because he got payed for it then you can go fuck yourself as there is no point in you supporting a football team. Sad wankers.

Agree with this.

Absolutely hopeless as a manager but that doesn't take anything away from how good he was as a player.

The disappointment still lingers heavily. And that's what it is for me, disappointment, not anger. I guess it's a bit like having a family member that's taken liberties with you... it'll never quite be the same again, but they're still family and somehow you can't do anything but still see them as that. 

McCoist did disappoint me. I expected more of him in some ways, not in a managerial sense, but in a putting the club first sense... he did well with this at times, but at other times it seems like he fell some way short. You know, with this gardening leave business, and stuff like that. But I know there are probably alot of things we don't know as well. I hope at some point he has the chance to put his side of the story across.

Time does heal. I prefer to be able to forgive a guy like McCoist, for my benefit, not his, and I do hope that in the future the bad stuff drifts away and the good stuff comes back to the fore, because those memories are just too good to have tainted forever. 

12 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Will take many years for me to forgive him, if I ever do. 

Me too Yes he was a great player but hopeless as a manager. We lost the opportunity while coming up through the leagues to bring through young talent and wasted millions laying his pals inflated salaries.

1 hour ago, Big Al II said:

For me it's not about the manager, I don't have an issue with him being a poor manager, I don't have an issue with him staying on for too long either. He wasn't as successful as a player without being single minded, stubborn, hard skinned with ultimate confidence in his own ability so it's hardly surprising he believed he could be successful in the job. I don't have an issue with his salary either as that was set by the board.

I have an issue with him taking over £80k a month from the club once he had left. He could quite easily have got another job in the media and we could all have moved on. The club could have afforded a real coach instead of the McDowall fiasco. McCoist's playing legacy would have been intact.

Instead, quite rightly he has left himself open to those who say his only interest in the club was financial.

This kinda sums up how I feel . I also think it's telling that he hasn't been back , as the board have been quite open in rewarding guys who helped with getting them into power . Maybe that Ally proved to be a hard guy to negotiate with over his payoff . 

I live in hope that one day I get to see him back at Ibrox to congratulate the guy who breaks his scoring record . 

:541:

1 hour ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

You actually serious? You never liked McCoist at the time he was banging in goals left right and centre? Old Firm winners? Cup final winners?

I'm sure you were telling all your pals and people at Ibrox when he was doing all these things he's shite and over rated. God one ??.

understand people have different attitude towards him now but to criticise his playin career with us is absolutely ridiculous

Can't be a hypocrite, I did say he was over rated at the time. Sure I celebrated his goals, but they were for the team, Rangers FC, who were his employer and he was a member of that team. Never said he was shite, but my thinking then, an average player, that was never a quality striker compared to the likes of Hateley and Mols etc. He played for the top club in Scotland, in his comfort zone, so why wouldn't he hang around so long and as I said he wasn't that great, so who was going to keep him in comfort. Can't remember too many battering down the doors for his services, if any.

I also remember the sitters he missed in Europe, old firm and cup finals and yes I regularly said he was over rated. No big deal, I call it how I see it. At the time, I obviously expected much more from him and felt let down too often by him, hence I remember more of the failures than the successes and ignore the record. I think if we had have won the big trophy, I would probably be of a different opinion, but not that it was Ally's fault that we didn't. It remains my biggest bugbear, that we didn't when we had the team and the chance to do so and I won't see it happening before I am in my box. I blame another for that.

However, in saying all that, he is a much better that what is around today up here. I watched a few highlights from the old days a couple of weeks ago and Ally scored a few and I must say, I thought to myself there is no one around these days capable of doing that and I did admit to myself, maybe he was better that I thought at the time. In one, he takes the ball from just over the halfway line, rounds two players and batters it into the top corner from the edge of the box. A peach. Now I'm thinking I know that wasn't his thing and done most of his damage around the penalty area, so I've just defeated my argument. However, I suppose we were just blessed with many strikers with greater all round technical ability that probably suits more of what I like in a player. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

14 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Can't be a hypocrite, I did say he was over rated at the time. Sure I celebrated his goals, but they were for the team, Rangers FC, who were his employer and he was a member of that team. Never said he was shite, but my thinking then, an average player, that was never a quality striker compared to the likes of Hateley and Mols etc. He played for the top club in Scotland, in his comfort zone, so why wouldn't he hang around so long and as I said he wasn't that great, so who was going to keep him in comfort. Can't remember too many battering down the doors for his services, if any.

I also remember the sitters he missed in Europe, old firm and cup finals and yes I regularly said he was over rated. No big deal, I call it how I see it. At the time, I obviously expected much more from him and felt let down too often by him, hence I remember more of the failures than the successes and ignore the record. I think if we had have won the big trophy, I would probably be of a different opinion, but not that it was Ally's fault that we didn't. It remains my biggest bugbear, that we didn't when we had the team and the chance to do so and I won't see it happening before I am in my box. I blame another for that.

However, in saying all that, he is a much better that what is around today up here. I watched a few highlights from the old days a couple of weeks ago and Ally scored a few and I must say, I thought to myself there is no one around these days capable of doing that and I did admit to myself, maybe he was better that I thought at the time. In one, he takes the ball from just over the halfway line, rounds two players and batters it into the top corner from the edge of the box. A peach. Now I'm thinking I know that wasn't his thing and done most of his damage around the penalty area, so I've just defeated my argument. However, I suppose we were just blessed with many strikers with greater all round technical ability that probably suits more of what I like in a player. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Aw, come on, BA. McCoist was a great striker. Easily on the level of the Hateleys and MoJos. Different kind of player maybe, but just as good.

More than just a poacher as well. And it has to be admitted, he missed his faif share too. But that doesn't matter too much if you're still manufacturing and taking the number of chances he did. Did his bit in Europe too, with goals against the likes of Red Star, Steuea, Leeds United and Dynamo Kiev. 21 in 56 in Europe. 

Time for a highlight reel or two, I reckon.

There's enough hate in the world. Those were still the best of times, despite it all.

11 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

I also remember the sitters he missed in Europe, old firm and cup finals and yes I regularly said he was over rated. No big deal, I call it how I see it.

He missed chances, what striker didn't/doesn't though?  I posted some of his goalscoring exploits and honours earlier...here's another summary of his scoring exploits whilst at Rangers

Most goals in all competitions: Ally McCoist, 355

Most league goals: Ally McCoist, 251

Most League Cup goals: Ally McCoist, 54

Most European goals: Ally McCoist, 21.

Most hat-tricks: Ally McCoist, 28.

Most goals against Celtic: Ally McCoist, 27 (including another 2 for St.Johnstone)

Most international caps while a Rangers player: Ally McCoist, 60 for Scotland, but in total 61.

Most international goals while a Rangers player: Ally McCoist, 19 for Scotland (5th all-time)

Golden Boot Winner: 2 - Ally McCoist 1991-92, 1992-93

3 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Glad to say he was never my hero. Never liked him. An average player surrounded by quality. Sat every one out and hung around the Souness era like a bad smell, who also had him sussed. Hateley,  Mols and their like were far better quality and would have scored twice as many if they were around for the length of time he was. He must have wet his pampers when best pal Watty got the job. Will give him credit for his tenacity, but never a bear as he showed his true colours in his managerial era.

Couldn't agree more , and so did thousands of others when he played but he scored goals and thats all that matters.

McCoist loves money and always did , thats why he knocked us back twice to play for the mighty Sunderland , because they gave him more cash. Hope he never comes near Ibrox ever again.