Are We Giving Mr Warburton Enough Credit For Our Footballing Style ?

tannerall

I guarantee not one poster on here could have imagined a year ago how good our football game is now. 

Constant attacking, 70 to 80 % possession, goals flying in. Consistent sustained passing and attack right to the very last minute. A joy to watch every game, and a style of football unheard of in the past in Scotland. 

This is not a top team in Europe (yet ?). This is not Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man City or Bayern Munich with global superstars parading their skills.

This is a team who were, quite simply, performing badly in lower league Scottish football without true intent or purpose,  less than a year ago. Who'd have thought we, or any Scottish team, would now be playing the kind of football which will be respected by true football fans everywhere ?

As a Rangers fan I wear two hats.

My first football hat is my Rangers hat. It demands success at any level, even if  it means cynically defensive and/or  aggressive team football. Success at all costs. 

My second football hat is the joyful football one. I want to see "the beautiful game" all the time. I grew up with the Brazil team of 1970, the sublime Ajax team of the 70s with Johann Cruyff and the total football approach. I watch with total joy the tiki taka football of the great Spanish football teams from Benitez's Valencia through to the current Barcelona team. 

But now i am in the position where i can watch my own club play that kind of attractive, joy to watch, entertaining football which I always assumed was exclusive to foreign teams, or teams full of bought in superstars.

Thank you Mr Warburton.

I've always been proud to be a Gers fan, but as a genuine fan of football played at it's best I am even prouder of the current style of football the Rangers Football Club are playing. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've being giving him credit from even before the very fist performance, against Burnley. I remember the reaction on this Forum to even the pre-season training the players were taking part in. Hopefully Warburton's way is a winning formula in the long term and sets a template for his successors in the future.

Will never forget the first 15 of the Petrofac cup game at Easter Road.

"Same old shit" they cried.

Unbelievable how that game alone brought so much optimism and happiness.

It has been an absolute joy to watch Rangers this year.

I think we have been giving him credit to be honest. Its the way he wants the game played and its been great to watch - and so far its also been successful - and lets be honest, one without the other for the rangers support wont wash.

He has been a revelation and long may it continue.

We are a team that the neutral would watch; that couldn't be said before when even our own fans had a task watching is. The biggest thing Warburton has brought, though, has been a love of the club. From someone who came in from the outside- never having played for the club in any capacity,  the man has "got" the magnitude of the club, and he likes it here; it is evident that he likes being Rangers manager. The club has needed that, and he has been the perfect fit.

14 minutes ago, Marky. said:

I was so happy that day, I would have taken it at that, but the way we've kicked on since then has been amazing.

3 minutes ago, BluesClues said:

I was so happy that day, I would have taken it at that, but the way we've kicked on since then has been amazing.

Crazy, mate. Made me buy the Burnley game on RTV and even against Burnley, despite the loss I was thoroughly entertained and bought the next few games of RTV too, before reinvesting in my season ticket.

Warburton talks a lot about signing players as value for money...

That really can be said about the purchase of my season ticket this year. Absolute value for money, and I can't wait to reinvest.

I'm an armchair fan nowadays and it was getting to the stage that I almost dreaded us being on TV. Now though I could watch us all day long. Even the slightly poorer performances are good to watch simply because of the way we play football. I hope MW has been bitten hard by the Rangers bug cause I want him here for a very long time. 

32 minutes ago, Marky. said:

I had PLG stuck in my mind those first 15mins.

37 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

We've being giving him credit from even before the very fist performance, against Burnley. I remember the reaction on this Forum to even the pre-season training the players were taking part in. Hopefully Warburton's way is a winning formula in the long term and sets a template for his successors in the future.

After what we had suffered on the football front for three years the early days of MW were more about 'excited anticipation' rather than giving credit.  The kind of anticipation kids have just before Christmas.  Credit is only given to Santa if the right presents arrive.  Despite all he good football no presents are yet under the tree though I do hear the sleigh bells ringing.

We are now playing some terrific football and if we couple that with the anticipated level of investment, I'd say the future looks bright.  In addition our our youth  system appears to now be on track with a few academy players perhaps emerging over the next few seasons.

MW and his team deserve a vast amount of credit for what  they have accomplished in only 7 months.

Credit also to the players for making the system work.

Must admit those first 15-20mins of the Petrofac game I couldn't believe it. What's unfolded since then has been nothing short of remarkable.

Obviously we aren't Barca but our front three are essentially modelled on them with our midfield taking the same approach as Bayern. Our defence is a mixture of both and Fod essentially is playing the same role as Neur. Were playing some fantastic stuff, probably the best footballing side in Scotland.

I fully expect MW and the team to mount a title challenge next season.. who would've thought that walking out of Motherwell 10 months ago? That's how much confidence they give me. Infact if we beat Dundee I want cellic. I dreaded playing them a year ago... look at us now. 

Anyone who has watched us this season can see a massive change from the dross of last season.This is down to everyone involved but especially the manager who's work ethos is unquestionable and in my opinion has made certain individuals from our recent past look like the lazy people they were.Like anything in life you get out what you put in and I don't think anyone can doubt Mr Warburton's contribution in turning us round from a lazy club at all levels to a fit and hard working unit.Long may his reign at Ibrox continue.I just hope some remember the words of Mr Struth when the inevitable bad result comes along and don't start to hit the panic button.Mr Warburton and all involved at this great old club will have us back where we belong sooner rather than later.

It's not the best football we've ever played, we need to look to the teams with Gazza, Laudrop et al for that IMO.

Some of the football this year has been a joy to watch though and it's night and day from last year which makes it all the more enjoyable.

The football has been a joy to watch, there have been times when we have failed to score as many as some want , we have even been beaten or drawn, the one over riding factor all season is the indomitable spirit shown by this team, we are never willing to give up.

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

It's not the best football we've ever played, we need to look to the teams with Gazza, Laudrop et al for that IMO.

Some of the football this year has been a joy to watch though and it's night and day from last year which makes it all the more enjoyable.

Tbh a lot of the 9 in a row years the standard of football overall was terrible but we had a Gascoigne, McCoist or Laudrup to do something special.

Back to the question. It's not quite the best football I've ever seen (Advocaat's first few seasons get's that award) but I do like the way we play when we are on form. Still need a few tweaks, though and yes, Warburton is getting the credit IMO.

I think he has been getting credit but in all honesty I don't think he gets enough..........we play the best attacking football in the country and are a joy to watch and it's all down to the magic hats attitude and never to be fearful In trying something.

Us fans are loving Warburton and how we are playing so we are giving them the credit they deserve.

The media don't really talk about us too positively in a footballing sense as we are only in the championship but then at the same time rave about stubbs and hibs. That tell us how they feel about us. 

The OP is right, we could not have imagined the transformation of this season, we hoped upon hope that we would be better.

MW's transformation has turned this hope into reality and given us back the true belief which was lost.

Now I bounce with pride, every time I talk about our great again Club.  

Are we giving Davie Weir enough credit for our footballing style?  Without him Warburton wouldn't know how big the club was or how important it is to win football matches.  Not to mention, Halliday the Rangers man doing the half-time team talks and letting everyone know what's expected. 

I went to the first Raith game at Ibrox with the wee man. I couldn't beleive the difference from a few short months earlier.

On the back of that display we got a season ticket and i have enjoyed going back to the games regularly. I did try a few games under Ally, but tbh would rather have gone to Braehead with the Mrs! 

It is nothing short of incredile how Warbs has transformed the playing style with very little money and pretty much from the word go.

Looking forward to see what he can do with more cash and access to better quality loan players next season.

Warburton's first season reminds a wee bit of the way Wenger transformed Arsenal from the "boring boring" Arsenal to playing the best football in England in a season, he's also looked at the way we've been playing in January and slightly changed the rigid passing and possession game by introducing O'Halloran and King who have gave us a much more direct style in the final third.

Overall the fans have bought into the Warburton style and have been entertained so credit has quite rightly been given to the manager for the style of football we've been playing this season.

52 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

I had PLG stuck in my mind those first 15mins.

I was on holiday, told the story a few times where it was in a Scottish bar and I ended up leaving after 20 minutes to go back to the pool and relax.

Couldnt believe my eyes when I checked my phone and was looking for the highlights the rest of the night :(