Big Wes

Smile

13 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

He has improved in most areas but, as has been said above, it is puzzling why he no longer comes for crosses. An explanation from the manager would be interesting.

It sure would because when I first saw him play I was pleasantly surprisedĀ as never seen him play before.A goalie that actually came out for crosses and dominated his penalty area.Didnt last long though unfortunately and pretty sure it wasn't his decision.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thinks he hasn't improved? Yes he made a few mistakes at the start but he's still making them. I actually think he pulled off some better saves at the start of the season and I liked the fact he was coming for crosses, especially as we're not the biggest team in the world.

Maybe it was the coaching staff allowing the defence to do more defending at corners and heading the ball, to allow them to look at what needs drastic improvement for next season?(talking about Wes not coming for corners)Ā 

Seems reasonable since weve won the league.Ā 

Anyway I like the big man. Confidence at his feet and his outstanding saves are way more than fumbles hes made. Besides have the fumbles actually cost us that much bar Hibs 2 weeks ago? Not in my eyes. Could argue he's won us 9-12 points this season, if he improves he could be regarded as a 15-18 point keeper, which is needed over the course of a Prem winning season

Agree that he needs competition to keep him on his toes.

I dont have the same confidenceĀ of him between the sticks that i had with Goram, Klos and even McGregor.

Is he the same keeper that Di-Cu*tio subsituted after a few seconds of a game when he managed Swindon?

Ā 

1 hour ago, sassaaaa said:

They wee mistakes here and there will be done in vital games and against the tarriers and Euro games.

He needs competition.

So you've never seen a good Rangers goalkeeper make mistakes in big games? Cause I can think of about 5 off the top of my head.Ā 

He's not made any more mistakes than anyone else this season yet he's getting pounced on. I don't understand it myself.Ā 

5 minutes ago, seb1972 said:

Agree that he needs competition to keep him on his toes.

I dont have the same confidenceĀ of him between the sticks that i had with Goram, Klos and even McGregor.

Is he the same keeper that Di-Cu*tio subsituted after a few seconds of a game when he managed Swindon?

Ā 

Aye and it was nothing to do with the way he was playing as the defence in front of him compitulated.Ā Purely down to the fact Di Canio is a racist attention seeker and was found out again when physicallyĀ going for Swindon's only black forward.Ā 

I must admit he makes me nervous every time he gets the ball at his feet, I also thought he was at fault for both goals yesterday, although I would also blame the defence for the way they let the guy come inside to have a shot!

50 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Aye and it was nothing to do with the way he was playing as the defence in front of him compitulated.Ā Purely down to the fact Di Canio is a racist attention seeker and was found out again when physicallyĀ going for Swindon's only black forward.Ā 

WesĀ was clearly at fault for the 1st in that game, spot on about Di Canio tho

11 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Maybe it was the coaching staff allowing the defence to do more defending at corners and heading the ball, to allow them to look at what needs drastic improvement for next season?(talking about Wes not coming for corners)Ā 

Seems reasonable since weve won the league.Ā 

Anyway I like the big man. Confidence at his feet and his outstanding saves are way more than fumbles hes made. Besides have the fumbles actually cost us that much bar Hibs 2 weeks ago? Not in my eyes. Could argue he's won us 9-12 points this season, if he improves he could be regarded as a 15-18 point keeper, which is needed over the course of a Prem winning season

What games did he win us 9-12 points from?

I agree.

When he first arrived he was coming off his line and commanding his area.Ā 

And was very impressive at it too.

Really taking the pressure off the defence during corners.Ā 

But for no apparent reason started staying routed to his line.

Not coming for crosses which he would of previously caught with ease.Ā 

I'm guessing he's coached to now stay on his line.

Unfortunately we're poor at defending corners with him stuck on the line.Ā 

If you have a keeper that's good at commanding his area from cross balls, why not use that ability, particularly when the opposition's got a height advantage?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

He probably needs competition for his place, your hearts in your mouth with him half the time, thought he could have saved both those shots at the weekend, both near post, we will need big improvement for next season, we've leaked far to many goals in the latter part of the season, we won't get away with that in the top league.

This is a change in tune, seen people get attacked for even suggesting he might not be that great all season.

I've not been convinced by him from the start. He's not awful, or even bad, but I don't think he's good enough. Didn't feel comfortable the whole Celtic match, the missed open goal shouldn't have been an open goal because the ball should never have reached the post in the first place. It's okay most of the time cause he hardly has a save to make anyway. Spills a lot of shots, should be saving a few more, prone to mistakes.

I do like him, if we have him as no.1 next season then fair enough. Wouldn't be upset if we signed another keeper though.

Just now, Marky. said:

He was one of the main and most importantĀ differences in beating the tims.

Disagree.

Griffiths free kick? Yes it was a great save, but from 35 yards out, and gave himself more to do by moving across early. He made a few fumbles and like IĀ said in my last post, should have saved the shot that came off the post for the open goal.

He didn't jeopardise the game, he was good in that game, but wasn't a main difference. Saved 1 pen out of 7 in the shootout which is again not bad nor good, statistically what's to be expected.

Don't want to seem like I'm shitting on him but that's my thoughts

11 hours ago, MasterD said:

What games did he win us 9-12 points from?

St Mirren away at the start of the season, jason holt winner. 3

QOS away (1-0). 3

Morton away (2-0) he made vital saves when it was 1-0 and we were down to 10. He also made 4 good saves at 1-0 before we went onto beat them by 4-0.

I also thought he played an important part in the 1-0 game against Hibs and he made two vital saves at important times against cellic.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

8 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Disagree.

Griffiths free kick? Yes it was a great save, but from 35 yards out, and gave himself more to do by moving across early. He made a few fumbles and like IĀ said in my last post, should have saved the shot that came off the post for the open goal.

He didn't jeopardise the game, he was good in that game, but wasn't a main difference. Saved 1 pen out of 7 in the shootout which is again not bad nor good, statistically what's to be expected.

Don't want to seem like I'm shitting on him but that's my thoughts

Also came out and rushed towards Rogic who could have put them in front. Great goalkeeping to come out and close the angle and get the vital touch. Think it is maybe a little harsh to criticise what he does at the freekick to then say it was made more difficult... Goram and Woods would have been proud of that save.

On ā€Ž5ā€Ž/ā€Ž2ā€Ž/ā€Ž2016 at 5:43 PM, VladimirWeiss69 said:

Bentley is a better keeper than Wes is, however the more competition the better. Plus Wes would be a fantastic back up keeper to have!

can I ask youĀ mate how many times have you seen bentley liveĀ to make such a judgement

9 minutes ago, billscott said:

can I ask youĀ mate how many times have you seen bentley liveĀ to make such a judgement

Once or twice obviously that doesn't say much on the long run but from What I have seen he is a fantastic keeper, Amazing shot stopper, good at reading the game and good with the ball at his feet, everything Warburton goes after in a keeper. He is alsoĀ very highly rated down there, it would honestly be a massive coup if we got him, he was one of the players that stood out which you don't see often considering he is a keeper, Obviously he could have had two fantastic games and nothing after that but I am pretty sure he does it on a regular bases. Also came across this which goes to show that he does have a decent save on him!Ā 

Ā