RIP Muhammed Ali

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad to hear. A great man that enriched his time no end. He was one of those few that takes you away from the shiteness of life from time to time, whether you were listening to him or watching him box, and just makes you smile. 

He'll sure be missed, but at least we have loads of great memories.

33 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Ali would never have been able to hang over Tyson and hold his arms like he did in most of his fights . A young Tyson would have knocked him out.

A great shame we'll never find out but I still think Ali would box him out , those dancin boots of his would have had Tyson punching fresh air ! 

RIP the Greatest.

I remember his second fight against Liston it was on TV around 4ish in the morning, so my Dad got me and my Brother up to watch it as we were still at school. Before the fight started my Dad decided to fry some sausages and have them on rolls. So my brother is delegated to put the butter onto the rolls, me being older was to make the tea and my Dad fried the sausages. Everything ready away we go into the living room and there is Ali standing over Liston and I remember my Dad saying "I don't remember this from the first fight" then we discovered the fight was over as he knocked Liston out in 2minutes. Rolls eaten and back to bed.

47 minutes ago, gmcf said:

A great shame we'll never find out but I still think Ali would box him out , those dancin boots of his would have had Tyson punching fresh air ! 

Haha will agree to differ , those dancing feet would never have got away from a young Tyson.

1 hour ago, sassaaaa said:

Ali would never have been able to hang over Tyson and hold his arms like he did in most of his fights . A young Tyson would have knocked him out.

You just have to look at the foreman fight,  Ali was too smart for the most dangerous boxer of that time and took everything he threw at him.  Ali v tyson would,  in my opinion,  have ended in a similar result. 

Just now, Gooseman said:

You just have to look at the foreman fight,  Ali was too smart for the most dangerous boxer of that time and took everything he threw at him.  Ali v tyson would,  in my opinion,  have ended in a similar result. 

A fight with a young Tyson would never have lasted that long , almost all Ali,s fights he held on and was hanging all over his opponents , he would never have got away with that against Tyson.

All about opinions. :541:

11 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

A fight with a young Tyson would never have lasted that long , almost all Ali,s fights he held on and was hanging all over his opponents , he would never have got away with that against Tyson.

All about opinions. :541:

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/foreman_tyson_fl.html

Have a read of this,  it's slightly off topic but to me it opens up the argument a lot. 

13 minutes ago, Gooseman said:

Foreman was as powerful as Tyson but not as fast, not as smart and had a vastly inferior defense to a prime Tyson too. I dunno who would win but the rumble in the jungle isn't the model here.

3 minutes ago, Gooseman said:

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/foreman_tyson_fl.html

Have a read of this,  it's slightly off topic but to me it opens up the argument a lot. 

Thats someone elses opinion just like ours and means heehaw. I have never seen any heavyweight come close to a young Tyson before all his crap , the man was a monster in the ring and everybody knew it.

I watched all Alis fights over the years and it used to irritate me every time watching him hanging over everybody and holding their arms.

His speedy wee flurrys lasted seconds and he was knackered straight after them thats why he always held on.

To me SRL was the greatest of all time , but a young Tyson was devastating to watch and would never have allowed Ali any of the dancing or holding tactics.

23 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Thats someone elses opinion just like ours and means heehaw. I have never seen any heavyweight come close to a young Tyson before all his crap , the man was a monster in the ring and everybody knew it.

I watched all Alis fights over the years and it used to irritate me every time watching him hanging over everybody and holding their arms.

His speedy wee flurrys lasted seconds and he was knackered straight after them thats why he always held on.

To me SRL was the greatest of all time , but a young Tyson was devastating to watch and would never have allowed Ali any of the dancing or holding tactics.

Of course this is only one persons opinion, my thoughts were that it would add a further dimension to the debate given that foreman in his prime was beaten by Ali but Tyson in his prime was,  supposedly widely known in boxing circles at time,  scared of fighting a man that was older and had been retired for 10 years. 

Of course the argument is purely academic and without any empirical evidence to support any argument we will always be left debating.  Either way Ali in his prime against Tyson in his prime would have been one hell of a fight. 

Ali v Tyson I'm firmly in the Ali camp on this, the heavyweight division that Ali fought in was the best ever, taking nothing away from the men a young Tyson beat but they weren't in the same league as your , foreman, frazier and nortons of this world, they guys would of hit back unlike the berbicks, spinks and thomases.

His quotes are incredible. His speech about refusing to go to war had me in tears. He inspired so many people and not just in boxing and he was not afraid to have the courage of his convictions.

Little wonder that he was loved all over the world. He deserved every accolade he ever got.

He was and always will be The Greatest.