Warburtons strengths & weaknesses

Smile

18 hours ago, Broxi said:

Only have one formation. It's ridiculous. Formation should be suited to the players not players crammed into a formation. It's led to Waghorn and Miller both playing on the wings and McKay and Forrester playing CM. Instead of going 2 up front or a 4-2-3-1. Genuinely think we are better going with a 4-2-3-1 next season.

Waghorn

McKay Kranjcar Forrester

Barton Rossiter

Wallace Wilson Kiernan Tavernier

Wes

If we sign Kranjcar, for example. If not then someone else. We have all these DMs now and are going to end up cramming one into CM. 

disagree. Players should be signed to fit into the system he wants to play.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Teddybear123 said:

Agreed.

He's signed practically every one of our first team squad now (McKay and Wallace excluded). Players should be signed to fit the system we've implemented from youth level to first team, and not altered to fit individual players. 

Would be madness to alter that now it's implemented from top to bottom. We are a 4-3-3 team, and I'm delighted with that. 

POSITIVES

We opened the season up with a six-two win at Easter Road in what was our most pleasing start to a campaign in my lifetime. It set a marker down and we didn't lose our grip on our lead at the top of the table. To think that we had conceded four with no reply at Easter Road six months earlier says it all about the transition from McCoist/McDowall/McCall to Warburton.

The brand of football has been tremendous, for the most part. I think I would have to go as far back as Advocaat to recall a Rangers side playing such fast, moving football. Even the smaller elements he's implimented; under no circumstances should Foderingham punt it up the field, instead distributing it to feet, and the front-line switching positions, making it difficult for opposing defences.

The Old Firm semi-final game at Hampden will live with me forever. I needed that, I've needed it since 2012 and Warburton delivered it. Make no mistake about it, we were significantly weakened. Waghorn, Forrester, O'Halloran and King were all missing. Yet, we played them off the park. We made them look amateur. I'll never forget a single penalty of ours; they will go to the grave with me.

NEGATIVES

Post-Celtic, we were a disgrace. Our end to the season was so poor, it tarnished it a bit for me.

That Hibs side needed putting in it's place, but we literally handed them a win at Easter Road a few days after the semi-final. We then went on to draw at home to fucking Alloa, lose at Livingston and scrape a draw at St Mirren.

Then, to top it all off, we were ten minutes away from one last get-it-right-up-you to Hibs before we leave them rotting in the Championship, one hand on the Scottish Cup and a treble, the other in what would have been a sensational return to European competition. Instead, we fucking blew it and handed them their very own Helicopter Sunday.

So, we won the second division at the second attempt and the least valued cup in British football at, what, the third? That's painful, for me, taking all into account.

Apologies that the negatives part has turned into a bit of an angry rant, but I'm still waiting for an explanation from Warburton on exactly what went fucking wrong in those last ten minutes at Hampden.

1 hour ago, Teddybear123 said:

That is correct, but different.

Let's say Forrester and O'Halloran are injured. And we want to play Miller and Waghorn at the same time, I don't think one of them should be put on the wings. We should be going 2 up front. If we have the players then fine. But if the players aren't suited to the available positions then change the formation. I've never seen a club stick so rigidly to one single formation the whole season. Been forced to put McKay at CM and Waghorn on the wings and that just doesn't work. We haven't changed from 4-3-3 once the whole season not even during a game after subs. If we put 2 strikers on the pitch we should be 2 up front. 

Also you say we should sign players for the formation, however, we play one DM and we just signed 3 of them plus Halliday. Windass by all accounts seems to be best played playing off the striker, a position we don't have. 

2 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

That Hibs side needed putting in it's place, but we literally handed them a win at Easter Road a few days after the semi-final.

A lot of people were saying that was unimportant but I thought at the time we needed to put them beat them.   

For me Warburton has the modern outlook towards the game that the club badly needed.  What has happened is what I was hoping Le Guen could get going, but Captain Ned, Six Fingers and Co put paid to that experiment.  Hopefully a lot of what he has put in place will stand us in good stead even when he has moved on.  

My worry is that the way he sets up the team, and the way we approach the game, has been found out some what.  It's not a problem with that particular system, but if there's no variety, any tactic can be countered.  He'll have better players next season of course.  

2 hours ago, Broxi said:

That is correct, but different.

Let's say Forrester and O'Halloran are injured. And we want to play Miller and Waghorn at the same time, I don't think one of them should be put on the wings. We should be going 2 up front. If we have the players then fine. But if the players aren't suited to the available positions then change the formation. I've never seen a club stick so rigidly to one single formation the whole season. Been forced to put McKay at CM and Waghorn on the wings and that just doesn't work. We haven't changed from 4-3-3 once the whole season not even during a game after subs. If we put 2 strikers on the pitch we should be 2 up front. 

Also you say we should sign players for the formation, however, we play one DM and we just signed 3 of them plus Halliday. Windass by all accounts seems to be best played playing off the striker, a position we don't have. 

Players should be able to play in various positions, it's not rocket surgery.  

30 minutes ago, Briton said:

No managers should be able to implement different formations. Waghorn is not a winger. I'm sure players would rather play in their preferred positions in a different formation than in a position they aren't good at in the same formation. 

We've complained for years about players being played out of position but now it's okay?

I think the man is a genuine visionary with regards to style of play, ahead of the game in this country. Clearly has a detailed vision and an 'end game' so to speak in terms of how our team will look and play by the time the project is done. Stunning attention to detail on things like patterns of play being an example.  In all honesty we know how talented the man is. But, I don't think as much attention to detail and effort go in to what we do when we are out of possesion. To me it looks like our only real plan in regards to defending is to have such a high % of possesion that the threat is nullified, that just isn't how football works though. 

On the ball, fine. Add some quality in this window and our only real problem - unlocking 'bus parked' defences -  shouldn't be as much of an issue as it was in spells this season. Off it, being brutally honest, he and the player both have to improve leaps and bounds if we're to be succesful. It's a group at the end of the day, they take the praise as a group and likewise with the criticisms. 'Warburton is Magic' we sing. Aye, on the ball. But off it, Warburton has to step up a level. I have every faith we will next season, but on the back of this season past (as succesful as it may have been overall) you'd be an absolute fool to suggest he and our team have ticked every box. 

6 hours ago, Teddybear123 said:

Agree, I also think Mckay is brilliant when deployed in midfield and is very dynamic......would like to see him play their more often and let Warburton develop another young guy on the wing.

• 7 months later...

I don't see in him a manager who knows how to instil enough of a winning mentality in his squad.   More of an organiser and analyst than he is an achiever in football management terms.    

I suspect we'll see a bit more of his strengths and weaknesses as the business end of the season unfolds.   Games lost, points dropped, league position slipping is bound to have the media hounds probing repeatedly about whether he retains the support of King, the support of the Board, the support of the players, the support of shareholders, and the support of the Support.  In doing so the media will be likely to test to see if he can handle the pressure of not only ceding the league to the other lot by a massive number of points, but now also slipping from 2nd and we're only at the start of Feb.   It'll be quite a test for him to deal with alongside the test of massively improving what he gets out of the team in each game they play, and keep his Chairman happy by climbing the table to finish 2nd.    No pressure then for Warburton is there.   But then again he's his own architect on this.

On 14/06/2016 at 5:27 PM, Briton said:

Or even brain science.

Oops. Just noticed. Why is Smile going around resurrecting threads from last season? Yes, we know things haven't been sorted from then .......

Lacks tactical nounce imo, when he does finally realise it's not working tactically he's mostly to late changing it. Most times it like for like, but on saturday a blind man on a galloping horse could see it was crying out for change, Garner had shot his bolt, good effort but it wasn't working, going wide with pace would have been my choice, and a bit earlier than it finally happened