Lean Squad

2 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Why do people forget about our emerging players ? And while I hate the loan system MW seems to like it and always said it would be end of July for any Liam players

That'll be fun on here.

1 hour ago, big blue Fin said:

What?

I just want us fans to have the best squad we can afford and as far as I can see we can't afford much. Free Agents, players well into their thirties and loans may be good enough, but forgive me for wanting to see us rip the tarriers and the sheep shaggers apart. As for my comment on King's money, he promised us the moon and the stars, at my age I'm a bit impatient.

I don't see the not spending transfer fees as that much of an issue when you see the quality we're actually getting. 2 years ago could you have seen the likes of Barton and kranjcar here? Yeh they're both getting on a bit but they've been played in the big league down south and Barton was a top player last year in a league much better than ours, and not forgetting the youngsters like rossiter who is highly thought of by many. Fair enough we've been promised money but why go throw it about when there's no need 

As someone else mentioned we've also lost Ball, Gideon and Billy King.

Gasparrato wasn't really involved with the squad and obviously we have the likes of Murduch, Crawford and Walsh who've returned. I don't see those three being involved much tbh.

I Still reckon another striker, winger and CH in. If any loans come up later then great.

IMO a "lean" squad was another reason we didn't win the cup final. I do quite like the idea in principle, but I think it's a pretty exact science. You've got to have the right number and the right type of players.

There's absolutely no need to have a first team squad of about 30 players that can all do a job - like the tarriers. That's mental for the Scottish game.

On 25/06/2016 at 10:53 AM, El-Hadji Spit RFC said:

So last year we had a 'lean squad' which we are due to address for the coming season as the quality of opposition and goals are are increased... 

Players Out: 

1)Law - 2)Clark - 3)Bell - 4)Sheils - 5)Templeton - 6)Gasparroto 

Players In:

1)Barton - 2)Gilks - 3)Windass - 4)Crooks - 5)Kranjcar - 6)Hill - 7)Rossiter

Bell - Gilks = arguable improvement (experienced number two) No significant impact on first team.

Sheils - Kranjcar = Potentially significant improvement provided Kranjcar adjusts to Scottish game??.

Law - Barton = Huge improvement (although out of all departing players Law was my favourite) 

Templeton - Windass = Regardless how successful Josh is he's an extra man given lack of appearances from Templeton.

Gasparatto - Crooks = Improvement despite not seeing much of Gasparatto, Crooks offers promise.

Clark - Rossiter = Massive improvement, Clark was such a poor substitute and Rossiter could be a huge success at Rangers.

Hill = Experience, leader and role model for younger players.

So to date we've certainly improved the squad, we've only increased the playing squad by 1 but should expect another 2 or 3 in. Given Templeton and Gasparroto didn't feature that really gives us an additional 3 as it stands, 5-6 additional players in first team squad over last year would be great. Possibly a couple of younger loans on top of that given I've not included the loans from last year (who only had bit part roles).

Really believe the squad is much improved, we had the makings of a good team which now could be great. A striker of top quality should be our main target, we've not spent anything on transfer fees to make these signings, I feel this could be where we are needing to push the boat out and sign a penalty box poacher. If we can do that we're in proper good shape going into next season. 

Your thoughts??...

Lolwut

On 6/25/2016 at 2:10 PM, Waggy1872 said:

I don't see the not spending transfer fees as that much of an issue when you see the quality we're actually getting. 2 years ago could you have seen the likes of Barton and kranjcar here? Yeh they're both getting on a bit but they've been played in the big league down south and Barton was a top player last year in a league much better than ours, and not forgetting the youngsters like rossiter who is highly thought of by many. Fair enough we've been promised money but why go throw it about when there's no need 

I'm not saying throw it about, I'd just like to know it's there.

I understand the concept of a lean squad, but there's lean and then there's pared down to the bone, and last season we were pretty close to the bone. Remember the under strength substitutes benches.

Warburton has done well getting young players in last season and hopefully those he's brought in already and may bring in before the season starts will be as big an impact as Waghorn and Tavernier.

On 26/06/2016 at 2:32 AM, K.A.I said:

IMO a "lean" squad was another reason we didn't win the cup final. I do quite like the idea in principle, but I think it's a pretty exact science. You've got to have the right number and the right type of players.

There's absolutely no need to have a first team squad of about 30 players that can all do a job - like the tarriers. That's mental for the Scottish game.

Players switch off when they know regardless of form they will be picked with more competition for places there's more competition. What we need is decent quality signings though not players who can just fill in.

On 25 June 2016 at 1:41 PM, Bluepeter9 said:

Why do people forget about our emerging players ? And while I hate the loan system MW seems to like it and always said it would be end of July for any Loan players? 

I'm not forgetting about them I just don't think they're that great or standard required (yet)

4 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

You don't think any of our players or signings are up to it from what you post! 

Maybe you missed all the posts I made about Krancjer and Barton being just what we need 

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Excellent - I love a positive post ! Now try supporting the rest of our players 

I'll always support them - saying you don't rate them or think they can't do a job doesn't mean you shout and boo them during a match 

in sure they are gutted when they log onto RM and say someone say they think they're crap

no one is allowed an opinion in your eyes unless it's positive - even if it's constructive