• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I don't know a great deal about him but i'm expecting to be impressed 

From what I've read I wouldn't put too much expectation on him (Leicester forums).

Given time he could come good, our management seemed to think so or they wouldn't be signing him.

The general view seems to be that he's not all that much presently but he's a decent finisher and there's some talent there but very raw. The views were all over the place as to what he's capable of being but what I said previously seems to be the view as to what he is just now. A few others did say that he can't beat a man and with that in mind it's odd they played him out wide, one or two reckoned play him through the middle, make the most of what he's got, and you might see a different side to him.

I think he's going to be the bench at best generally and knocking up appearances as a sub, part of me thinks he'll score quite a lot considering that fact but it won't be this season that we see the best of him or a regular 90 minutes. Going by what Warburton has been like thus far that's not exactly a bad thing, Zelalem seemed to get better towards the tail end, McKay with a season under his belt is picking out crosses I haven't seen in years at Ibrox, it might not be the CF/Targetman I hoped for but if he's a finisher out of nothing and can only get better then he's not what anyone would call a bad signing. 

Hopefully, we can get that 1st team CB sorted out because even if Kiernan or Wilson looks good next to Hill (could very likely happen because neither Kiernan or Wilson is a commander and so it makes them look awful together) if Hill was to be sidelined for any reason we'd be stuck with the chronic combo and I can't imagine our title challenge would survive it frankly. Mariappa would have been great and unless he's signed elsewhere you never know (doubtful but still). A Marvin Andrews type is all we need if push comes to shove and there must be someone out there like that for change.

10 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

From what I've read I wouldn't put too much expectation on him (Leicester forums).

Given time he could come good, our management seemed to think so or they wouldn't be signing him.

The general view seems to be that he's not all that much presently but he's a decent finisher and there's some talent there but very raw. The views were all over the place as to what he's capable of being but what I said previously seems to be the view as to what he is just now. A few others did say that he can't beat a man and with that in mind it's odd they played him out wide, one or two reckoned play him through the middle, make the most of what he's got, and you might see a different side to him.

I think he's going to be the bench at best generally and knocking up appearances as a sub, part of me thinks he'll score quite a lot considering that fact but it won't be this season that we see the best of him or a regular 90 minutes. Going by what Warburton has been like thus far that's not exactly a bad thing, Zelalem seemed to get better towards the tail end, McKay with a season under his belt is picking out crosses I haven't seen in years at Ibrox, it might not be the CF/Targetman I hoped for but if he's a finisher out of nothing and can only get better then he's not what anyone would call a bad signing. 

Hopefully, we can get that 1st team CB sorted out because even if Kiernan or Wilson looks good next to Hill (could very likely happen because neither Kiernan or Wilson is a commander and so it makes them look awful together) if Hill was to be sidelined for any reason we'd be stuck with the chronic combo and I can't imagine our title challenge would survive it frankly. Mariappa would have been great and unless he's signed elsewhere you never know (doubtful but still). A Marvin Andrews type is all we need if push comes to shove and there must be someone out there like that for change.

I'd take the "can't beat a man" stuff with a pinch of salt as the defenders he'd be trying to beat in the EPL would be miles better than the hammer throwers in Scotland. 

Having said that he's one to develop and hopefully get 2 or 3 good seasons out of before selling him on for a big fee. That'll be the reality for us now, which considering it's how teams like Ajax and Porto have been operating for years, it isn't a bad reality.

Just now, The Beast said:

I'd take the "can't beat a man" stuff with a pinch of salt as the defenders he'd be trying to beat in the EPL would be miles better than the hammer throwers in Scotland. 

Having said that he's one to develop and hopefully get 2 or 3 good seasons out of before selling him on for a big fee. That'll be the reality for us now, which considering it's how teams like Ajax and Porto have been operating for years isn't a bad reality.

They were basing that on the reserves level or whatever he was playing against it seems and I'd say that isn't any better than our league. Still though I know what you're getting at, I would prefer not to insinuate he'll tear it up, up here because well alot of players have came here and done nout in our "pub" league. As you say (and I agree with) he looks like a development job rather than a 1st team player. I just get the niggle going by what some said in the LC forums that he could be a bit of a Boyd, now before you smash your screen let me explain; if he's generally doing hee haw all game in the reserves but he gets a chance and scores it that would be like Boyd at his best, if he could do that coming off the bench then he'd contribute where it matters and would actually be of real benefit THIS season. I think we can all imagine he'll get better the more he plays he's still only a boy aint he? so if he can chuck in a few game winners and improve then he'd help this season and set us up nicely for the subsequent seasons (where I think we'll see the better of what he can do). I'm optimistic but don't expect that he'll be an instant success because well who knows anything about him?! I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed (i.e. like Zelalem). I'm guessing like everyone else ultimately.

2 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

They were basing that on the reserves level or whatever he was playing against it seems and I'd say that isn't any better than our league. Still though I know what you're getting at, I would prefer not to insinuate he'll tear it up, up here because well alot of players have came here and done nout in our "pub" league. As you say (and I agree with) he looks like a development job rather than a 1st team player. I just get the niggle going by what some said in the LC forums that he could be a bit of a Boyd, now before you smash your screen let me explain; if he's generally doing hee haw all game in the reserves but he gets a chance and scores it that would be like Boyd at his best, if he could do that coming off the bench then he'd contribute where it matters and would actually be of real benefit THIS season. I think we can all imagine he'll get better the more he plays he's still only a boy aint he? so if he can chuck in a few game winners and improve then he'd help this season and set us up nicely for the subsequent seasons (where I think we'll see the better of what he can do). I'm optimistic but don't expect that he'll be an instant success because well who knows anything about him?! I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed (i.e. like Zelalem). I'm guessing like everyone else ultimately.

I agree with with lot of what you say but I still believe that the vast majority of Scottish Premiership players wouldn't even get into the reserve team of an EPL club, even an "unfashionable" club such as Leicester (pre last season of course).

1 hour ago, sammy cox said:

Don't really know a great deal about the guy but as some have said before in Warburton we trust and also Mc Parland as I am sure he has had a hand in this and most of our other recent signings. Good day all round for the club. 

Apparently he's a weally weally wubbish CF - but he's a brilliant singer, which MW feels is great for moral.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

I agree with with lot of what you say but I still believe that the vast majority of Scottish Premiership players wouldn't even get into the reserve team of an EPL club, even an "unfashionable" club such as Leicester (pre last season of course).

They wouldn't be signed based on arrogance as much as anything else although I've generally felt that players from other SPL teams that went down South in better moves weren't much to shout about and wouldn't make it, we couldn't give Charlie Adam away on the other hand and within a few months he was worth a gazillion. Basically our top division is like 2 teams from each level down south it's a bit of an odd mix in comparison but just being in England doesn't mean you'll make any impact up here. I'm not saying someone at Aberdeen should be in the Man City reserves or anything like that but England thinks everything it has is better than up here and a lot of people up here think the same. There's plenty of gash in the Championship and us and celtic have had plenty of Premiership players that were mince. If we get a Premiership reserve player that doesn't mean he's going to be any better than a decent first teamer at Hearts for example. Mind the two boys we got from Man Utd when they were still running amock, one lasted 7 games and the other a few months, celtics had how many Arsenal/Man City "wonderkids" that's been shite? Basically a lot of Premiership reserves will end up average in the Championship/L1/L2, plenty of examples. You tend to have some twinkle of potential to end up in the Premiership reseverves but that's at what age when they get picked up? 15? 17? Plenty hit early 20's and then drop to League 2, it simply doesn't mean you're a good adult first team player. We've had plenty of cracking young boys that go no where, some fail to make it at our club then go down South and do well. I suppose I could sum it up in a line and that would be - there isn't a rule for it that holds true. Our manager might be picking up the what would be considered dreggs down South BUT crucially I think Frank can spot what's worth having and our manager can spot the right attitude (that's something many fans don't even think about, aye he might be good at Hibs but does it mean he'll be a winner with us? he'd be playing the same teams but crucially with entirely different expectations and teams give hoe much extra effort against us?), that changes perspective. If I'm rambling I'm sorry but I'm busy the now so just rattling words out like ad speak to a pal, an editor would have a stroke no doubt reading this.

30 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

I said on his thread in the transfer forum that Dodoo in all likelihood will be average-ish. The big unknown is whether he'll be average-ish bordering on good or average-ish bordering on poor. We all know the type of player he's being described as on the Leicester forum; talented, but raw, and questions about his commitment over the whole 90 minutes. Its now in his own hands (and Warburtons)  to improve.

5 minutes ago, JockyWilsonspants said:

I said on his thread in the transfer forum that Dodoo in all likelihood will be average-ish. The big unknown is whether he'll be average-ish bordering on good or average-ish bordering on poor. We all know the type of player he's being described as on the Leicester forum; talented, but raw, and questions about his commitment over the whole 90 minutes. Its now in his own hands (and Warburtons)  to improve.

I think if Warburton can't bring him on Dodoo have to look at himself but I'm confident in that regard. I just feel that unless he turns out to be that guy that plays 'meh' and scores with his only chance having come off the bench then he's not really adding a string to our bow for this season. I did say weeks ago that O'Halloran would come good and he was unlucky last season, I said that Kenny is like the big game or key goal man (experience a plenty and still fairly rapid, just a 60 minutes man at best now though), with regards to Waghorn I see him as the allrounder but I see no header-scorer, I don't see the brute force option against the back 10, the boy that signed for Aberdeen (Stokely or summit) is a headers man and maybe not good enough for us but he'll score more headers than we have in our locker up front of that I'm sure. Dodoo looks to be a finisher who's a project so I don't think it's fair to expect much from him as he could go either way over the course and might just be too rough in the short term. Hopefully, he is a 1-chance-goal man and he'll contribute in that sense but now that he's signed ruling out a big CF/Target type I'd assume we'd be looking for O'Halloran to contribute far more. Our midfielder and wing options are lightyears better than we had last year and that'll make a huge difference too goals wise, I just like to have someone for every problem and I think we lack someone to stick a header on it up front in that regard. CB is needed now though and not a project either.