Where is our weakness?

As far as I can see,  our weaknesses right now are fitness and not taking our chances,  our tally should be greater than 7. But as it's still pre season I have faith that this will be fixed for the game against Hamilton. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much a weakness but the element of surprise would be good, a whipped in corner, a speculative shot - our style of play relies on a somewhat predictable game plan. 

When teams learn how to play against us we struggle as shown in the last quarter of last season. 

Amazingly, just over a year after Mr Warburton's arrival we are strong in all aspects of coaching, managing, quality of play, discipline, teamwork, excitement and enjoyment of play, could go on and on..........

Phenomenal is the only word to describe it, so difficult to look at the negatives.

But being a moaning git I will.  

Even this early in the season last year's slight problems with turning our possession and chances into goals can still be seen. Possibly still some concerns about our defensive frailties, especially the midfield cover, and centre half positions, but after three clean sheets with albeit smaller teams (Motherwell ;)), and the potential to improve, these problems may be solved soon. 

From a purely football perspective however, couldn't be happier with the last 12 months progress, looking back at the previous years it surely is the stuff of dreams......onward and upward. 

1 hour ago, Albertz 78 said:

Weakness? Probably the lack of a physical presence up front and at the back.

Almost every corner we get tends to be wasted, sometimes the ball ends up back at the half way line by the time we make 50 passes from some corners. 

I like the passing style a lot but when games are 1-1 late on I would like us to just throw the ball into the box and go for it rather than try to score the Hollywood goal.

Maybe a big target man might help but not sure if that's Warbutons style.

This will have to change .If it doesn't then we will lose some big matches for me .

13 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Not so much a weakness but the element of surprise would be good, a whipped in corner, a speculative shot - our style of play relies on a somewhat predictable game plan. 

When teams learn how to play against us we struggle as shown in the last quarter of last season. 

Great post Soze (tu)

18 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The game against Annan showed us doing so many unexpected and surprising and individual moves I actually started a thread on it.

There was an abundance of unexpected moments. The reality is we now have a team style and a number of confident, skilful, youthful and experienced players who not only are able to, but are confident to do the unexpected surprising thing. 

Have you not watched Kranjkar, McKay,O'Halloran and others do amazing things already this season ?

A great follow on from Oduwa last season. 

Our defence (against better teams at least - x3 clean sheets so far, though)

but what's glaring now is the fact we don't have a poacher type of hungry goalscorer who's willing to take some responsibility in and around the box and burst the net. We play fantastic football and build up but we keep trying to walk it in - need a hungry striker to just smash the net. I know these guys don't come cheap and I don't even want a Boyd (I know that sounds mental, but I want someone who can actually play a bit too and not over-weight, lazy and can't handle a football)

Anyone got a spare 80 million for Higuain? :lol:

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Our defence (against better teams at least - x3 clean sheets so far, though)

but what's glaring now is the fact we don't have a poacher type of hungry goalscorer who's willing to take some responsibility in and around the box and burst the net. We play fantastic football and build up but we keep trying to walk it in - need a hungry striker to just smash the net. I know these guys don't come cheap and I don't even want a Boyd (I know that sounds mental, but I want someone who can actually play a bit too and not over-weight, lazy and can't handle a football)

Anyone got a spare 80 million for Higuain? :lol:

Not sure that even if we had the money this would happen.  MW's philosophy is to sign players who can play anywhere across the front.  Identifying a poacher, like McCoist or Boyd, who had the positional awareness and ability to play 8, 9 or 10 is almost impossible.  I think this season will be more about playing three front players who can all score goals.  All three front players need to be more clinical.  I can see KM, Waghorn, Dodoo all on at least 15 goals this season so that's 45 right there.  Poacher would be nice but don't see it happening.

8 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Not sure that even if we had the money this would happen.  MW's philosophy is to sign players who can play anywhere across the front.  Identifying a poacher, like McCoist or Boyd, who had the positional awareness and ability to play 8, 9 or 10 is almost impossible.  I think this season will be more about playing three front players who can all score goals.  All three front players need to be more clinical.  I can see KM, Waghorn, Dodoo all on at least 15 goals this season so that's 45 right there.  Poacher would be nice but don't see it happening.

Yeah your probably right. We probably wouldn't appreciate a poacher type anyway - we will be too used to fantastic ball playing players that a Kris Boyd would stand out like a sore-thumb ability wise and it would infuriate us.

We still need to be ruthless though and someone to take a lot more responsibility in and around the box - that's why I was really pleased with Dodoo's simple tap in last night - it wasn't an amazing finish but it was something we lacked - a forward getting into a position in the box between defenders and on the end of a cross ball. We never seem to do that. Miller and Waghorn are great players but they usually find theirselves wide and skinning people cutting inside or trying to make their own luck which hinders us.

17 hours ago, westenclosure2008 said:

There are still doubts over the defence and we haven't really been tested in the last  two games to know if it has improved. I don't think Clint Hill is the greatest player but our shape seems better and the confidence of Kiernan and Wilson seems better playing alongside Hill.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that I don't see any glaring weakness just now. I see it as our most well rounded squad in years.

I've never been so eagar for a season to start.

*pointless post I know but just getting my first out the way

Believe me, that defence will get found out if we dont strengthen. Wilson and Kiernan are a shambles together. 

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Yeah your probably right. We probably wouldn't appreciate a poacher type anyway - we will be too used to fantastic ball playing players that a Kris Boyd would stand out like a sore-thumb ability wise and it would infuriate us.

We still need to be ruthless though and someone to take a lot more responsibility in and around the box - that's why I was really pleased with Dodoo's simple tap in last night - it wasn't an amazing finish but it was something we lacked - a forward getting into a position in the box between defenders and on the end of a cross ball. We never seem to do that. Miller and Waghorn are great players but they usually find theirselves wide and skinning people cutting inside or trying to make their own luck which hinders us.

Kind of agree with you.

I don't care though if it's a poacher or someone that can play across the front line. 

What we need is whoever is assuming the CF role is: 

1. there when we're breaking and

2. when the ball comes in can and does finish regularly. 

Dodoo showed he can do that already which is a great start.

If they can't then they shouldn't be taking the CF position even if it's is part of the rotational flexibility MW likes.

Fuck having the guy that's meant to be CF when the ball comes pissing about out wide.

One good CB away from being untouchable in my honest opinion.

If I was being greedy a decent young LB for competition for Wallace or as a back up for injuries suspension etc... 

But all in all, if things stay as they are we'll be there or there abouts come end of the season. 

Warburton has said himself he wants to get another CB in, so he obviously is aware that's our 'weakest' area. Wilson is severely underrated IMO. I'm not saying he's a world class centre back, but he's a lot better than some give him credit for, he's slow but his strength and vision make up for it

35 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Warburton has said himself he wants to get another CB in, so he obviously is aware that's our 'weakest' area. Wilson is severely underrated IMO. I'm not saying he's a world class centre back, but he's a lot better than some give him credit for, he's slow but his strength and vision make up for it

Wilson severely under-rated lmao behave mate :D

12 hours ago, Smile said:

We have not improved the poorest part of our team so will be a struggle against decent opponents.

Think having Barton sitting Infront of the two of them will protect them and help their concentration, yes we need  another C/H but Crooks and Hill could make the difference with hawd It dawd It knowing any mistakes would mean time out the team.I agree we need a goal scoring center forward, a penalty box type.

40 minutes ago, piperpete said:

Think having Barton sitting Infront of the two of them will protect them and help their concentration, yes we need  another C/H but Crooks and Hill could make the difference with hawd It dawd It knowing any mistakes would mean time out the team.I agree we need a goal scoring center forward, a penalty box type.

It could work but the problem for us is cross balls when the balls swung in Kiernan looks lost and even got outjumped by wee fat McDonald, Wilson fine if he's up against a slower player.

Clint Hill doesn't look the quickest, to play the system Warburton plays you'd have thought he would have went for pacey men at the back. 

8 hours ago, tannerall said:

The game against Annan showed us doing so many unexpected and surprising and individual moves I actually started a thread on it.

There was an abundance of unexpected moments. The reality is we now have a team style and a number of confident, skilful, youthful and experienced players who not only are able to, but are confident to do the unexpected surprising thing. 

Have you not watched Kranjkar, McKay,O'Halloran and others do amazing things already this season ?

A great follow on from Oduwa last season. 

Wait til they're doing it regularly & effectively against top 6 sides before getting carried away.

The 'unexpected moment' for me was that we only got 2 goals against them.

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Wilson severely under-rated lmao behave mate :D

He'd do himself a lot of favours if he could repeat that towering header he scored against us the season before last! (Obv. At the other end!!)

2 hours ago, nathanburt said:

TAV is pish at defending for a full back, needs to come back more when opposition are countering

Diz he, aye?   He is a wing back and a player from midield is supposed to slot in to tht role whn he bombs firward.  .never watch germany?

8 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

Strength ?

He reminds me of David Weir without any of Weirs strengths