*** Official Rio Olympics 2016 Thread ***

If Murray were to now win a second Olympics on top of what he's already achieved it would be sensational. I would also fancy him to get to number 1 and win a few more slams prior to his retirement. His legacy could be something that not many will ever come close to. Even now his standing is pretty incredible but he really can do somethingĀ even more special over the next few years.

2 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

If Murray were to now win a second Olympics on top of what he's already achieved it would be sensational. I would also fancy him to get to number 1 and win a few more slams prior to his retirement. His legacy could be something that not many will ever come close to. Even now his standing is pretty incredible but he really can do somethingĀ even more special over the next few years.

One key point to note here is the Olympics don't give ATP ranking points this year, in 2012 they did. So Djokovic losing yesterday makes no difference to the ATP rankings. Murray can theoretically beat Djokovic to the year-end #1 spot, but really he needs Novak to perform badly at the US Open +Ā World Tour FinalsĀ and himselfĀ to win the US Open to have a legitimate chance.

Big DT is ragingĀ :lol:

Dear Mr Bach,

I love the Olympics. But I am at home watching the Games with my kids and the questions they have asked have made me want to write an open letter to you. Who is looking after the interests of the people who matter most, the athletes?

I would rather see a smaller competition with a complete ban on all Russians. Less air time, fewer sponsors and far fewer jollies for you lot at the IOC.

All I want is a level playing field for all the athletes who spend years and years of their lives working hard towards their Olympics.

But what I saw during the opening weekend was a convicted Russian doper winning in the pool, rowers not knowing when they would start their races as they bailed water out of their boats, empty seats in temporary stadiums, long queues of people struggling to get into arenas and a cycling road race with a horribly dangerous descent.

My boys saw it all too and they asked me: ā€˜Dad, what happened to the greatest sporting show on earth?ā€™

You, Mr Bach, are all about appeasement, concessions and not looking after the clean athletes. Whatever the pressures on you, this should always be your main concern.

You spend Ā£15million a year on anti-doping and yet your income is in the billions. That would seem to be a little stingy when you consider you are fighting the biggest menace in sport; something that might be strong enough to crack the very foundations upon which sport is built.

It may be that with the IOCā€™s vast experience in keeping their heads in the sand, this case of state-run institutional doping by Russia will just pass by ā€” as it usually does - and the competing athletes will be too busy to complain.

Most of the people who are on the athletesā€™ commission ā€” the men and women who are supposed to look the interests of the competitors ā€” are more interested in the trips, the status quo and making it on to the next level of free-loading. They do not want to make any waves.

So here is my question to you, Mr Bach. Who is actually looking after the interests of the most important part of the Olympics, the athletes? Because it certainly isnā€™t you.

Your sincerely,

Daley Thompson

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics_2016/article-3728537/An-open-letter-double-Olympic-champion-Daley-Thompson-IOC.html