The day after review.....

Snakeater

So after excitedly taking my seat in the east enclosure for yesterday match against the accies I left Ibrox a bit deflated, more at the performance rather than the result. If we drew and their keeper had one of those days then fair enough, but to be honest it wasn't quite like that. Opening 10 minutes were great then we became too slow on the ball the rest of the first half and we were giving the ball away all over the park. Niko caught on wrong side of Crawford then dived in and to be fair great strike but if he was ball side of him and stayed on his feet goal doesn't happen. 

2nd half better, Barton had more of an impact and HF and MO made huge difference with their change of pace. I think if Waggy hadn't missed last 10 minutes we would probably have sneeked a victory. Probably. 

My issues and worries are:

miller should not have started, based on pre season MO should have been in team before him.

midfield three of Barton, Niko and Halliday did not work. Niko looks a yard of the pace against fitter teams so as good as he is when he has time, he needs to get a lot fitter to play in our system. 

We looked a bit leggy. Not sure if it was occasion or first league match got to the players but last year I remember thinking how great our fitness levels were as a team but that wasn't evident yesterday.  Even in semi against the vermin we ran and passed them off the park. Our tempo was much quicker and we closed teams down a lot more. 

I trust in Warbs and think he's done great with what he's had to play with but I honestly feel we need to change things about a bit tactically to have any chance in the league. Every team knows how we're going to play and that's an issue unless some of them are truly outstanding, Iike laudrup, de Boer , Mols, etc. If we had better players our rigid 4-3-3 would be fine but I think we can all agree we are at least one centre half short and striker and even more so as Waggy will prob be out for a few weeks at least. 

On a positive, our bench now looks decent, Windass, Holt and Crooks are still to come in to the fold and Rossiter looks like he could start right now and keep his place. Let's hope King spends some of the money he promised as I feel if we get a good commanding centre half and centre forward we will be fine. Lots of players had a off day and that can happen. It's one game down. I'm sure Warbs will make some changes for Tuesday then next week away to Dundee I'm sure you will see a different Rangers. Teams will all come and park the bus at Ibrox so away might be a bit easier for us to play at pace with the extra space we can get.

Down but not defeated....in Warbs we trust...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Warbs we do trust however he definitely got a few things wrong yesterday and it was a hugely disappointing day.

Neither Miller or Niko should have started and whats disappointing is most bears I spoke to pre game could see this, the midfield lacked the energy of a Harry F or a Holty and in general sat too deep in the 1st half, this should have been addressed.

1 minute ago, markem said:

In Warbs we do trust however he definitely got a few things wrong yesterday and it was a hugely disappointing day.

Neither Miller or Niko should have started and whats disappointing is most bears I spoke to pre game could see this, the midfield lacked the energy of a Harry F or a Holty and in general sat too deep in the 1st half, this should have been addressed.

This.  Miller should not be starting. He is an impact sub. We should've went with MOH. 

I can see why he started Niko but we could all see how off the pace he was by HT. Hopefully lesson learned. 

It's very early days, and most , if not all, teams are a bit rusty at the start of the season. We have got a great squad  of players  and we will soon show what we have. The reaction after 1 game in here has been stupid tbh, but I think as a support we are notoriously impatient. This has to change, and our manager has constantly told us to be patient with the team, although  this seems to fall on deaf ears. Onwards and upwards.

Just now, kanjo said:

This.  Miller should not be starting. He is an impact sub. We should've went with MOH. 

I can see why he started Niko but we could all see how off the pace he was by HT. Hopefully lesson learned. 

I can only assume that the hope was that Big Game Kenny would turn up, he never. Who knows what MW see's training however for me we haven't seen enough from Niko (yet) that merited his spot ahead of HF or JH. To be fair the entire team looked sluggish and lacking the endeavour the occasion and stakes deserved, truth be told it was unacceptable in the 1st half.  We are told the team is very critical on itself, they should be having a long hard look at themselves today, They take lots of plaudits and rightly so however that was not good enough.

5 minutes ago, Chineseboy said:

It's very early days, and most , if not all, teams are a bit rusty at the start of the season. We have got a great squad  of players  and we will soon show what we have. The reaction after 1 game in here has been stupid tbh, but I think as a support we are notoriously impatient. This has to change, and our manager has constantly told us to be patient with the team, although  this seems to fall on deaf ears. Onwards and upwards.

Mate, rusty or not it's Hamilton Accies at home and we should have beaten them comfortably. Another worry for me is the fact that Ibrox no longer appears to have a fear factor for visiting teams.

Miller was poor but if the plan is to play this interchanging front 3 with the number 9 dropping back then the attacking mid has got to then go beyond.

Kranjcar cant do that and Halliday looked lost.

The amount of times we got to byeline and there was no one in middle was poor..

21 minutes ago, Chineseboy said:

Mate I am typically balanced and optimistic when it comes to us in particular during MW tenure, I agree with you about rustiness etc, what pissed me off was that imo we could have been better had he not played a couple of guys that the majority (from who I spoke too) agreed hadn't earned their place (accepted who knows what seen i training) ahead of others (I am thinking Forrester and MOH) and most significantly the energy was not good enough in the 1st half, they had to work harder, create space, shift the ball quicker.

Like you I am sure we will come good!

21 minutes ago, Snakeater said:

So after excitedly taking my seat in the east enclosure for yesterday match against the accies I left Ibrox a bit deflated, more at the performance rather than the result. If we drew and their keeper had one of those days then fair enough, but to be honest it wasn't quite like that. Opening 10 minutes were great then we became too slow on the ball the rest of the first half and we were giving the ball away all over the park. Niko caught on wrong side of Crawford then dived in and to be fair great strike but if he was ball side of him and stayed on his feet goal doesn't happen. 

2nd half better, Barton had more of an impact and HF and MO made huge difference with their change of pace. I think if Waggy hadn't missed last 10 minutes we would probably have sneeked a victory. Probably. 

My issues and worries are:

miller should not have started, based on pre season MO should have been in team before him.

midfield three of Barton, Niko and Halliday did not work. Niko looks a yard of the pace against fitter teams so as good as he is when he has time, he needs to get a lot fitter to play in our system. 

We looked a bit leggy. Not sure if it was occasion or first league match got to the players but last year I remember thinking how great our fitness levels were as a team but that wasn't evident yesterday.  Even in semi against the vermin we ran and passed them off the park. Our tempo was much quicker and we closed teams down a lot more. 

I trust in Warbs and think he's done great with what he's had to play with but I honestly feel we need to change things about a bit tactically to have any chance in the league. Every team knows how we're going to play and that's an issue unless some of them are truly outstanding, Iike laudrup, de Boer , Mols, etc. If we had better players our rigid 4-3-3 would be fine but I think we can all agree we are at least one centre half short and striker and even more so as Waggy will prob be out for a few weeks at least. 

On a positive, our bench now looks decent, Windass, Holt and Crooks are still to come in to the fold and Rossiter looks like he could start right now and keep his place. Let's hope King spends some of the money he promised as I feel if we get a good commanding centre half and centre forward we will be fine. Lots of players had a off day and that can happen. It's one game down. I'm sure Warbs will make some changes for Tuesday then next week away to Dundee I'm sure you will see a different Rangers. Teams will all come and park the bus at Ibrox so away might be a bit easier for us to play at pace with the extra space we can get.

Down but not defeated....in Warbs we trust...

Totally agree with all. 

My big concern is the lack of an alternative tactic, yesterday just confirmed it, teams have got our style sussed already (stubbs and houston had us sussed by the end of last season as well)

Also think this going to be a season to far for Kenny, MOH and Dodoo should be given a run as starters before him.

14 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Miller was poor but if the plan is to play this interchanging front 3 with the number 9 dropping back then the attacking mid has got to then go beyond.

Spot on imo

HF or JH have the energy to play in-between the mid/front and will run beyond.  There was a moment in the 1st half where Mckay skinned the full back near the half way line, he bolts down the touch line, not one midfielder (actually anyone if I recall) matched his run to get themselves in the box.  It was at times lazy looking in the 1st half.

1 minute ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Totally agree with all. 

My big concern is the lack of an alternative tactic, yesterday just confirmed it, teams have got our style sussed already (stubbs and houston had us sussed by the end of last season as well)

Also think this going to be a season to far for Kenny, MOH and Dodoo should be given a run as starters before him.

I think Plan A can continue towork however its been some time since we have effectively executed it.  

3 minutes ago, markem said:

Spot on imo

HF or JH have the energy to play in-between the mid/front and will run beyond.  There was a moment in the 1st half where Mckay skinned the full back her the half way line, he bolts down the touch line, not one midfielder (actually anyone if I recall) matched his run to get themselves in the box.  It was at times lazy looking in the 1st half.

First half Miller plays ball to Waghorn, and stops. Waghorn gets to byeline and not a player in box.

MOH done same second half..

Is this tactics or a lack of desire from players?

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

The starting 11 and the defence cost us yesterday.

Hamilton had 2 shots on goal the entire game and should've scored twice.

Wouldn't argue with that however even losing the goal (which Niko got all wrong) we should have had enough to score twice and I think the issues where in the middle of the park.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

First half Miller plays ball to Waghorn, and stops. Waghorn gets to byeline and not a player in box.

MOH done same second half..

Is this tactics or a lack of desire from players?

For me in the 1st half it felt like that, and that tbh that is just not good enough.  

7 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

See I hear about this interchanging front 3 but I'm not sure it really is.

Barrie stays left. Waggy stays right. 

Miller is the issue in that he plays wherever he wants other than the 9 role. 

If he's coming out to create space for an advance midfielder that doesn't make sense when he's typically the one running out of position, coming to yards from the CHs to get the ball and return it to them. It , and he, serves no purpose. He was so out of position at one time yesterday he berated the lack of cutback to him. He ignored the fact he should've been in the middle for a square ball at the time and that he was only reaching the edge of the box due to how far out of position his starting point was.

I'm not sure whether the CF creating space as you say is a tactic or a result of KM being that CF.

Huge decision to make for the boss if Waggy is out for a few weeks. More of the same from KM or the pace of Dodoo, MOH or HF in the front 3.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Aye, spot on . McKay sticks right on the touch line and we couldn't get him going yesterday. The form he's on we should be letting him drop into the 10 position all the time and running the game.

I've said it for months, we stretch the game far to much now - there's no one in the 10 position as all our midfield are concerned with is keeping possesion. Result; our midfield is fucking miles away from our front 3. Shock horror as soon as Forrester comes on and gets into an advanced central position, goal. 

We quite simply weren't good enough yesterday. Seemed to lack any drive,second to every ball and there was no creativity bar a few moments of magic. Tav was solid defensively and Barton improved as the game went on. Forrester should have started,made a hell of a difference when he came on. Waghorn needs to learn to use his right foot,kept cutting back on his left allowing Hamilton time to get an extra man or 2 back.

It's done though. We move on now and hopefully improve in the areas where it's required.

16 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Miller is the issue in that he plays wherever he wants other than the 9 role. 

If he's coming out to create space for an advance midfielder that doesn't make sense when he's typically the one running out of position, coming to yards from the CHs to get the ball and return it to them. It , and he, serves no purpose. He was so out of position at one time yesterday he berated the lack of cutback to him. He ignored the fact he should've been in the middle for a square ball at the time and that he was only reaching the edge of the box due to how far out of position his starting point was.

I'm not sure whether the CF creating space as you say is a tactic or a result of KM being that CF.

Huge decision to make for the boss if Waggy is out for a few weeks. More of the same from KM or the pace of Dodoo, MOH or HF in the front 3.

Waghorn isn't the answer either as the out and out striker.

We've needed to sign one now for a year. If we dont sign one soon it's going to be a very long season..

2 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Waghorn isn't the answer either as the out and out striker.

We've needed to sign one now for a year. If we dont sign one soon it's going to be a very long season..

Unsure of Dodoo and yeah likely none of them are the out and out striker as you say.

But whoever is picked as the 9, or rotates into the 9 role just needs to play as a CF and goals will come. Let others do the creative stuff, their job is to be in the middle and finish off moves, crosses, etc. 

I actually think even Miller would benefit from this approach. 

After an evening to reflect, I've a few thoughts...

- crowd were terrific, even when they scored 

- Warbuton got the starting 11 totally wrong, and left the subs too late

- Miller offered nothing at all

- Krancjar has talent, but doesn't fit into our fast paced pressing style

- Foderingham pulled us out a hole with that save, and was great to see him properly going off his nut rather than being nicey nicey

- Clint Hill doesn't have the legs anymore 

- Centre half is required big time, or we'll win nothing this year

- Forrester must start against Dundee

- Waghorn seemed to give off the vibe that he was frustrated all game, hoping this injury isn't too bad

Not a good start to the season at all sadly. 

1 hour ago, markem said:

That's exactly what my pal and i were saying, midfield was slow and sitting too deep. Lacked urgency. As soon as Forrester came on he made and impact

on review the manager should now be going for a natural goal scorer. If he doesn't I want to no why not or who is gonna score the goals that'll win us 55. Waggy on his own won't score the goals even tho sky and bt pundits have waghorn down as a natural finisher. Sorry I just don't see that

Starting with Miller in the line-up is baffling for me considering the form MOH has shown so far in the friendlies and the cup games. Would also like to see MW make some substitutions at half time when it clearly isn't working - the 60 min sub thing is a bit too predictable now. Apart from that, it's early days :)