McSalary: No regrets

Virtuoso

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Cooper was a far superior player than McCoist ever was and would have walked into most teams on the planet.

Cooper was undoubtedly a more technically gifted player but McCoist's main strength was scoring goals and he proved to be one of if not the greatest striker to play for Rangers.

8 minutes ago, The No.9 said:

Lol still a stupid point messi only wins the golden boot with barca so that's only because the teams good and not him?

In that scenario, both are outstanding. To compare a journeyman with Messi is what's stupid. Barca only won the CL how many times?

In our 9IAR years, we were paying top wages in Britain and didn't Ally know it. Scotland then as now is a footballing backwater. Two teams, with the scum on their erse back then with not a pot to piss in.

11 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Cooper was gifted. Quality. 

McCoist was a journeyman who found his meal ticket. Not that you couldn't notice. 

It comes as no surprise to me that you don't know how good Ally was.

Anyone who followed Rangers when he played for us will know he wasn't a journeyman.

6 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

In that scenario, both are outstanding. To compare a journeyman with Messi is what's stupid. Barca only won the CL how many times?

In our 9IAR years, we were paying top wages in Britain and didn't Ally know it. Scotland then as now is a footballing backwater. Two teams, with the scum on their erse back then with not a pot to piss in.

But being honest did you consider him a journeyman at the time when his goals were playing a major part on our way to 9 in a row or is it a judgement that has only came about after everything he has done the last few years . 

Dont get me wrong , I think the guy is a cunt and would happily not see him at ibrox for a good few years if not ever but being realistic , he was more than just average as a striker .

11 minutes ago, Heshootshescores said:

Pedigree over a scavenging mongrel. Neither AC Milan nor Monaco would  have even looked at McCoist. 

That's fair enough - yet the Rangers support gave hateley a hard time because he was keeping ally out the team - I get uncomfortable thinking about some of our supports' behaviour sometimes - mccoist got more abuse than any other Rangers player I can remember - certainly not thousands singing get tae fuck to anyone else - and hateley was regularly booed in his first year at ibrox, ironically for keeping ally out the team, yet who are our strike force in our all time dream team? It's a funny game sometimes ??

on the subject of accusations of greed and extortion doesn't Goram's naked blind robbery of rangers fans recently not eclipse anything ally's accused of? Yet he gets nothing like the awful comments you read in the pages before- it's a funny old game Saint ?????

No-one hates him more than me but you can't deny the impact he had on the team and his goalscoring record. IMO that's just re-writing history to compound an argument against him. There's enough on him without doing that.

It's OK saying he had fantastic service from guys like Durrant, Steven, Gascoigne, Laudrup etc but look at the chances we create now and the shots off target/sitters we miss.

A legitimate concern about McCoist and his scoring could have been he never done it in Europe for us or did it at international level (but who gives a fuck about them)

4 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

That's fair enough - yet the Rangers support gave hateley a hard time because he was keeping ally out the team - I get uncomfortable thinking about some of our supports' behaviour sometimes - mccoist got more abuse than any other Rangers player I can remember - certainly not thousands singing get tae fuck to anyone else - and hateley was regularly booed in his first year at ibrox, ironically for keeping ally out the team, yet who are our strike force in our all time dream team? It's a funny game sometimes ??

on the subject of accusations of greed and extortion doesn't Goram's naked blind robbery of rangers fans recently not eclipse anything ally's accused of? Yet he gets nothing like the awful comments you read in the pages before- it's a funny old game Saint ?????

Think you will find our support gave McCoist a much harder time than Hateley ever got.

8 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

No-one hates him more than me but you can't deny the impact he had on the team and his goalscoring record. IMO that's just re-writing history to compound an argument against him. There's enough on him without doing that.

It's OK saying he had fantastic service from guys like Durrant, Steven, Gascoigne, Laudrup etc but look at the chances we create now and the shots off target/sitters we miss.

A legitimate concern about McCoist and his scoring could have been he never done it in Europe for us or did it at international level (but who gives a fuck about them)

His scoring ratio at international level was just short of 1 in 3 which was a decent return for a Scotland striker at a time when most of us did give a fuck.

8 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

His scoring ratio at international level was just short of 1 in 3 which was a decent return for a Scotland striker at a time when most of us did give a fuck.

I know what you're saying but almost 1 in 3 ... his goals were against teams such as Greece, Switzerland, Australia as far as I can remember. Who did he score against of a decent standard? did he score in that 2-0 France game? I know Mojo scored.

What's McFadden and Kenny Miller's ratio's for Scotland - just out of interest?

Also I never cared about them, even as a wean but that's just me (tu)

1 hour ago, Real Ranger said:

Does the same rule apply to the late great Davie Cooper, did he only look good playing for Rangers because of the shity opposition players he was up against or are you talking nonsense again?

Cooper had a far more difficult job i would argue.  Strikers only seem to be judged on goals scored, ignoring those missed and the quality of team mates and opposition.

46 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Still the same, barca in comparison to all except Real Madrid in there league are miles better richer and larger fan base not to mention the wealth in merchandise , I clearly wasn't comparing McCoist and messi the players seriously??? I was comparing the scenario.

he still won the euro golden boot twice in a row and at a time before Spain England Germany France Italy where all getting double and treble the points for each goal

28 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Good point on Europe though he does also hold the highest amount of goals for our club in Europe so that could be said for all our goal scorers

1 minute ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

Three attempts it took us to sign him. Played u like a mug he has

you are bang on the money about Ally Bob,  but you should really think about getting those enlarged testicles checked out. Cant be too careful especially when the condition coincides with mental instability. 

1 minute ago, The No.9 said:

Good point on Europe though he does also hold the highest amount of goals for our club in Europe so that could be said for all our goal scorers

Yeah for all our good strikers through the years I don't think we've had that one player that always done it in Europe for us the way someone like Larsson, Sutton, Hartson seemed to do it for them in recent years. Again, could be mistaken.

31 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

But being honest did you consider him a journeyman at the time when his goals were playing a major part on our way to 9 in a row or is it a judgement that has only came about after everything he has done the last few years . 

Dont get me wrong , I think the guy is a cunt and would happily not see him at ibrox for a good few years if not ever but being realistic , he was more than just average as a striker .

I am being honest and maybe amongst the few, but I never rated him then and most certainly not now. In a way he ended up proving my theory when he stiffed us as a manager. Just sat it out for the money. He was the happiest man on the planet when Souness left and Walter's love child then never missed a game thereafter. I get that. Don't get me wrong, I still celebrated his goals, but I still thought he was a chancer. I remember one bit of brilliance when he took the ball from the hallway line beat two/three players and rifled it into the back of the net and I'm sure it was against the scum at Ibrox. Wasn't his usual game, being a penalty box player, but he didn't half miss many sitters.

I've got to give him some credit as he is our record goal scorer, but he was never a gifted quality player in the sense of Cooper. He worked for what he achieved. He hung in there and I'll give him that, but I would say it was more down to the financial opportunity than any sense of loyalty, which of course what it comes down to for most. He definitely upset me with some of his misses, most probably in Europe and it must have became one too many for me. Just ended up being a major disappointment. Maybe I expected too much of him, but that blind spot is there and won't go away. I can grudgingly give him credit, but I can't say he was class

1 minute ago, Nieto11878 said:

Seriously questioning wether he is a Club Legend or not?? ! The Years of Service , The goals , The commitment albeit out of his depth in the managers role will always be super Ally to me.

I'm only asking you how you define a legend - we all have different definitions. Personally I feel mine is the right one and while he was our best ever striker, to be a Rangers legend in my eyes it comes down to more than just playing ability.