State of our Youth

Ok Bears

Tin hat on (feel appalled for having to wear this for raising this) but surely to fuck we have some big honest young guy in the reserves squad that we are looking to bring through like we did with Danny Wilson? 

I am also asking myself about some of the other youngsters we had that have toally fallen out of favour, walsh, murdoch etc. We have padded out the team with older playes which was the opposite of what needed. 

Warburton is not going to get a youth system going inside 16mths, never mind a successful one.

Starting it now, 5-10yrs before you see fruit, and it's been woefully neglected for years.s 

It's not something I can criticise the manager for, and steps are being taken behind the scenes.

It's something Warburton hasn't done, When he first arrived he stated that there would be a clear path from the youth team to the first team, I haven't seen any evidence of this, with the exception of Mckay who had already been there for a couple of seasons.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Warburton is not going to get a youth system going inside 16mths, never mind a successful one.

Starting it now, 5-10yrs before you see fruit, and it's been woefully neglected for years.

Agree with that, there's a guy that posts on here about the youths and I'm sure he said they've been looking in pretty bad shape maybe apart from one year group??

I don't think it's personally MW's job either, it has to be the whole club's responsibility

32 minutes ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

Winning at youth level isn't important MW said.All these top youth analysts and coaches have produced fuck all nor are they likely to. Quite happy to go on RTV talking about having the same philosophy as MW.

Results aren't the basis of a good youth system. It's totally flawed to look at results and performance to judge it.

For instance, a team that produces a couple of good players whilst winning f##k all? and not looking great, would be better than a dominating team that doesn't have any first team graduates.

36 minutes ago, GWR1979 said:

It's something Warburton hasn't done, When he first arrived he stated that there would be a clear path from the youth team to the first team, I haven't seen any evidence of this, with the exception of Mckay who had already been there for a couple of seasons.

Ever thin they might not be good enough.  I'm not in a position to comment, @DUDE andand @Elfideldo  seem to see more of the youth players 

As I have stated on here before, we have TWO Under 20's players on our books.

We have a handful of over age players out on loan NONE of them are centre backs. 

This is a result of the Sinky regime and it will take a bit of time to recover.

Our centre backs at youth level are 17 and 18 year olds.

In recent games we have used Matt Crooks and a over age play who couldn't get in the Raith Rovers team.

Ross McCrorie would be the oldest and where he has great potential anyone who has seen him will know he is no towering centre back.

11 minutes ago, pcbear said:

u15's won  6-1 v Dundee United today, Elfidelo has just posted the match report, young Owen McGinty running riot for us.

That's quite a turnaround from last week when I watched Rangers play Hearts U15s and U17s at Riccarton.  The U15s lost 3-2 and the score flattered Rangers. It was about the worst performance I've seen from a Rangers youth team.

The U17s performed a bit better in beating Hearts 2-0, although it was level until Hearts had a man sent off and eventually finished with 9 men.

I'll put it down to the inevitable inconsistency in youth performances, but I didn't see anyone that I would say stood out from the rest.

29 minutes ago, Elfideldo said:

We have a handful of over age players out on loan NONE of them are centre backs. 

In recent games we have used Matt Crooks and a over age play who couldn't get in the Raith Rovers team.

Ross McCrorie would be the oldest and where he has great potential anyone who has seen him will know he is no towering centre back.

As someone who watched the youth a lot do you think Gasparotto could have done a better job than what we have currently or do you not think he was good enough.

1 hour ago, Elfideldo said:

Defensively, the youth are all over the place. Of the 5 new boys who came in on deadline day, are any of them defenders? I've not had a chance to look at anything about them yet. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Results aren't the basis of a good youth system. It's totally flawed to look at results and performance to judge it.

For instance, a team that produces a couple of good players whilst winning f##k all? and not looking great, would be better than a dominating team that doesn't have any first team graduates.

Not to mention that it's easy to dominate at unders football if you just pack the side with the players who develop physically at a younger age to bully everyone else. They'll get found out at U-20 level bar the occasional Kenneth or Wilkie and everyone else will never play above Scottish League One. 

Nothing gained by doing that.

2 hours ago, GWR1979 said:

Jesus fucken Mary and Joseph

Hold me back Jesus, hold me back.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Starting it now, 5-10yrs before you see fruit, and it's been woefully neglected for years.s 

It's not something I can criticise the manager for, and steps are being taken behind the scenes.

We still need more from the set up tho - we are quick to brush the shite results aside by throwing the narrative out there about taking time - we need to develop a winning mentality first and foremost - it's essential 

1 hour ago, Smile said:

As someone who watched the youth a lot do you think Gasparotto could have done a better job than what we have currently or do you not think he was good enough.

I liked Luca, but have to say that Dom Ball looked on another level and was six months younger, so my answer would have to be no.

42 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Defensively, the youth are all over the place. Of the 5 new boys who came in on deadline day, are any of them defenders? I've not had a chance to look at anything about them yet. 

As far as I'm aware only 4 came in on deadline day.

Myles Beerman has been described as a full-back, but when he played in a game for Rangers last season he played as a winger, he is 17.

Ursene Mouanda is a holding midfield player ( what Warburton would call a No 4), not tall enough to play centre back. Just been signed from a Boys Club, only contracted till January so basically on an extended trial, he is 18

Serge Atakayi is a winger/striker and is only 17.

Amin Abaradan is a striker and is 19. Intially listed as Amin Bouzaig, been in formed Bouzaig is his middle name.

2 minutes ago, Elfideldo said:

As far as I'm aware only 4 came in on deadline day.

Myles Beerman has been described as a full-back, but when he played in a game for Rangers last season he played as a winger, he is 17.

Ursene Mouanda is a holding midfield player ( what Warburton would call a No 4), not tall enough to play centre back. Just been signed from a Boys Club, only contracted till January so basically on an extended trial, he is 18

Serge Atakayi is a winger/striker and is only 17.

Amin Abaradan is a striker and is 19. Intially listed as Amin Bouzaig, been in formed Bouzaig is his middle name.

Ronaldinho when we played Psg had Gaucho on his shirt, maybe the same thing.

5 hours ago, Elfideldo said:

How far away is McCrorie from being ready for the first team?

Youth is shite and has been for ages. Said the same when people slated McCoist for not using them, even though he probably used more than any manager in my life time.

The youth set-up in Scotland is gash and like pissing in the wind.

There needs to be major changes at youth level before we will ever start to see major benefits.

3 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Youth is shite and has been for ages. Said the same when people slated McCoist for not using them, even though he probably used more than any manager in my life time.

The youth set-up in Scotland is gash and like pissing in the wind.

There needs to be major changes at youth level before we will ever start to see major benefits.

That is a slightly different debate, but I don't think Scottish footballs developed a world class player in over 30yrs. We had a good crop in the 70's, who were world class.... then the 90s came and the talent pool got smaller and smaller.

There is a bigger picture out there than just our youth system.