Poppies on Shirts

The Scottish first ministers questions had the Msp'sĀ all wearing remembrance poppies but Ross Greer with a few more leading green msp's was wearing a white one.

"Those who promote the wearing of white poppies argue that the red poppy also conveys a specific political standpoint, and point to the divisive nature of the red poppy inĀ Northern Ireland, where it is worn mainly byĀ unionistĀ but boycotted byĀ Irish republicans.[1]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_poppy

This is diabolical that these members of parliament feel that they should use there own political feelings in conjunction with what the remembrance poppy represents. If these politicians wants to portray Irish politics in there methodology then fuck off to Republic of Ireland.Ā 

10 hours ago, folkestoneger said:

Sad to see Northern Ireland have bottled it and won't wear them.

Some support for all the troops that died over there

It's a divisive symbol here in NI. There is going to be a display pre-match and tbh I'm happy enough with that. I'll have my poppy on as will the vast majority of the support.

4 hours ago, there'sonlyoneamoruso said:

It's a divisive symbol here in NI. There is going to be a display pre-match and tbh I'm happy enough with that. I'll have my poppy on as will the vast majority of the support.

The divisive symbol argument doesn't wash mate. It's turning into a divisive symbol for some twisted people in Scotland aswell, no chance we should bow down to them.

It's a cop out from NI, plain and simple.Ā 

So I've Ā read a wee bit more and we asked permission from FIFA to wear the poppy on shirts and got the same response that the other home nations got. I'm surprised that we even asked to be honest as if permission had been given and we had worn it our enemies in the local media would have had a field day slagging us off about not being all inclusive.Ā 

We're not going to risk punishment and have comprised with black armbands and a poppy display. I still think that is fair enough.

Good on England and Scotland for defying FIFA, but I'm happy with the decision the IFA have taken. Say there was a points deduction England won't care as they'll still qualify, Scotland won't care as they won't qualify anyway whereas we have a chance of 2nd in a tight group, so I don't want them to risk any chance of getting to a WC.

7 hours ago, there'sonlyoneamoruso said:

It shouldn't be divisive.

Plenty of brave men from the south of IrelandĀ lost their lives fighting for Britain in many wars.

They have my complete respect the same as any other soldier brave enough to put on the uniform for our cause

You shouldn't let the republican scum get away with their pish about it being a symbol of their " oppression "

14 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

It shouldn't be divisive.

Plenty of brave men from the south of IrelandĀ lost their lives fighting for Britain in many wars.

They have my complete respect the same as any other soldier brave enough to put on the uniform for our cause

You shouldn't let the republican scum get away with their pish about it being a symbol of their " oppression "

Oppression is being black listed for being an IrishmanĀ and fighting fascism,another dirty wee secret the Irish government buried.

I honestly believe that if it wasn't England we were playing then Scotland would have backed down and wouldn't even wear the armband with the poppy on it. I could be wrong but, to me, the English FA made such a big deal about it (and rightly so) that the SFA had to take action to avoid looking stupid. Obviously this is all my opinion.

The minutes silence was impeccable tonight at Windsor and the card display in the Kop looked very good too. The names of some of the fallen were on the big screen too which was a nice touch (I think they were those who had represented NI at international level).