Brand of football

bombaybadboy08

I was one of many slating Walter Smith then more recently Ally McCoist over the utter shite and boring style of football. Granted the former delivered a bag load of trophies and memories that will never fade but the football made me want to prise my eyes out. Before Warburton came along some even admitted that Le Guen maybe should have been given more time at Ibrox. 

Fast forward to the present day and we have a manager who believes in a style of football we have been crying out for, but can't produce the results required of a Rangers manager. 

Is the general consensus as Rangers manager now..

"Fuck the style of football, just win" ?

Just wondering as when we get back to where we should be as a club will we be hearing that we are boring etc? Threads for new managers to play exciting football?

I don't know where I stand right now tbh, I just cling onto the hope that we can play great football and win trophies but obviously when it comes to the crunch I want us as Champions and in the Champion's League . 

3 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

I was one of many slating Walter Smith then more recently Ally McCoist over the utter shite and boring style of football. Granted the former delivered a bag load of trophies and memories that will never fade but the football made me want to prise my eyes out. Before Warburton came along some even admitted that Le Guen maybe should have been given more time at Ibrox. 

Fast forward to the present day and we have a manager who believes in a style of football we have been crying out for, but can't produce the results required of a Rangers manager. 

Just wondering as when we get back to where we should be as a club will we be hearing that we are boring etc? Threads for new managers to play exciting football?

I don't know where I stand right now tbh, I just cling onto the hope that we can play great football and win trophies but obviously when it comes to the crunch I want us as Champions and in the Champion's League . 

Problem is we don't play attractive football. The football on display right Now boring and ugly tae watch it's the same all the time pass across the midfield, pass to a winger then pass it all the way back to the CH's rinse and repeat

We can still be play exciting brand of football not using the 433 system. That's what my issue is with Warburton. His stubbornness to change the formation. We simply don't have the quality to play a 433. Teams flood the midfield and we can't cope with it. 

Say we go with 4 in the midfield we can still play exciting football but we have that extra body in there to make the difference. We don't need three forwards. We have three forwards and we are lucky if we score more than two in a game.

Warburton doesn't have to abandon the type of football he wants to play. He needs to change the system we play it in IMO. 

I think that's what we all want is to see nice football being played on the park.

But unfortunately MW wants us playing like Barcelona with a lot of 'mediocre at best' players from the lower teirs of English and Scottish football, and it's just not working unfortunately .

Also his reluctance to change a formation when it's simply not working beggars belief!!

11 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

He isn't even delivering the style of football any more.

Even when we scrape results, it's as much by luck as judgement.

I hated the style of play under Walter but I always admired the defending, never say die attitude and ability to string more than 3 passes together

Yes it was horrible to watch at times but we more often than not won the games 

This year we aren't showing any signs of getting better, in fact, we are showing signs of getting worse :power_of_anguish:

I doubt any Rangers fan would deny that the style of football Warburton brought in was superb to watch and what we'd all been crying out for for years.

However and exciting brand of football doesn't guarantee results, and the players using the brand have to be good at it. 

We haven't played good football all season in to the bargain.  The 2 centre backs knocking the ball about between them doesn't count as exciting passing.

I would have more patience for the manager and occasional bad results if we were evidently making progress.  But we clearly aren't, and have in fact went severely downhill since this time last year.

2 hours ago, OhW said:

The style of football that Warburton wants us to play has been on the way out since Bayern destroyed Barcelona in the Champions League in 2013. 

Slightly off topic but that Bayern side played far better football than ANY Barca team imo. 

They were a cracking team to watch who would just run right over the top of teams,was refreshing to see.

also I think this is a little unfair on Walter. He signed Laudrup and Gazza - hardly boring players. It was only latterly when he couldn't call on those type of signings that his style became more "pragmatic" as he accommodated our style of football to suit our ability.

Thats what MW has singularly failed to do.

I think there has to be a balance.

Smith's teams during his second spell tended to be quite defensive where he primarily looked to keep a clean sheet and then nick a goal or two and at the other end of the extreme you have Warburton's team who are, or certainly were, completely gung-ho the whole time with absolutely no consideration put towards the defensive side of the game.

I've said it before but to me the ideal way for British Football to be played is how SAF's Man Utd or our team during 9IAR played.

Both were sides who were built on solid defensive foundations scattered with some gallus players who could change games in a second.

To me, those sides had the perfect balance and it's no coincidence that both of them dominated their respective leagues.

You only have to look at how possesion being utilised when we have the ball more often or not we go back the way Hearts last night didnt.

There was a prime example last night they had a throw-in and the big Hitler lookalike Patterson took a long throw going into the box we throw these back the way or 3 yards to each other.

Football all about winning whatever style we play.

I had my worries last year that however entertaining the football was against the part-timers, it's a system which could have the potential to struggle.

I feel like this type of football can only be played if you are either the best team by a long way, and can entertain the fans as a result, or you're a mid-table team in no danger of going down, but with little ambition to do any better.

This isn't 'Winning' football. It's football played to appease fans of a team with no ambition to win titles, in my opinion.

His first spell was a little before my time, but the criticism of the football during Walters second run was massively over the top - barring the 07/08 season, which funnily enough was probably one of the best seasons to follow Rangers in the post 9 in a row era. From 2009-11 on our day we played some pretty good, fast attacking stuff with lots of width and pace. How many teams did we flat out bulldoze at home ? Look at the amount of 3 or more goal wins at home during the 3 in a row run. Away from home we got ourselves organised and slaughtered teams with any combination of  Davis, Naismith, Miller, Weiss, Jelavic, Boyd and even Lafferty on the break. 

Id gladly watch that team every day til the day i die if it meant we never see this horrific 433, pass the ball in our own half style or hear the words 'pitch geography,' and 'control the football' again. 

Stringing 40 passes together, getting 30 yards from goal, then running out of ideas before passing the ball backwards has become so repetitive that it's now verging on becoming boring.

Keeping possession without scoring or even having a shot on goal is not entertaining. Right now I want a team that knows how to defend, score goals and win games.