Well Said Smudger

SteveEarle

A former chief executive of the Scottish Football Association (SFA) has called for an inquiry into historical sexual abuse.

Gordon Smith told the BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme it should look at how clubs and national bodies responded to allegations.

His comments came after Partick Thistle confirmed that a physiotherapist was dismissed from Firhill in 1992.

The club said it acted immediately after allegations of abuse were made.

It said it had now informed the police and the football authorities.

'A disgrace'

Mr Smith said: "There should be an inquiry, an inquiry into anybody who knew anything about this sort of thing.

"If this was happening at a club, what action did they take?

"We're now finding out some of the cases down in England where the club tried to hush the situation, even paid a player money to not say anything about it."

The English Football Association has commissioned an independent investigation into the way it dealt with abuse allegations.

Image caption Partick Thistle said the police and the football authorities have now been informed

Partick Thistle have not named the physiotherapist accused of carrying out abuse or made clear if he was reported to the authorities at the time.

He has subsequently been named as John Hart, who died in 1995.

In a statement, the north Glasgow club said: "As far as Thistle's current management can ascertain, no other allegations were made to the club at that time with regard to him or any other employee.

"The club has contacted the SFA and Police Scotland to advise them of what they know to date and will fully comply with any investigation."

Gordon Smith said any inquiry set up by the football authorities would have to consider three groups of people.

"Obviously there's people who were committing the offences," he said. "They are a disgrace and hopefully they're going to be found out legally and charged.

"There's the kids who suffered from it who are now adults who obviously got great psychological and traumatic effects of it.

"The third element is the people who maybe knew something about this going on and didn't do anything about it. Although they're maybe not legally culpable they're certainly morally culpable because they didn't do anything about it."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

To be commended, but to set an example, our board should be doing this and leading from the front, as well as taking on the mhedia.

Our board should only concern themselves with matters that affect only our club. It's not their place to be demanding enquiries.

Though they could mention that they are happy to comply with any investigation and that every club should welcome it. Then stand back and see how that east end club react.

5 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Our board should only concern themselves with matters that affect only our club. It's not their place to be demanding enquiries.

Though they could mention that they are happy to comply with any investigation and that every club should welcome it. Then stand back and see how that east end club react.

This is a widespread problem and does affect our club if we don't want another unsuspecting abuser foisted upon us. There are many strands and layers associated with child protection and safeguarding and not before time we should be showing some leadership, instead of constantly being on the back foot and deafening silence.

The message is correct but if he wants my kudos he has to have the balls to mention Celtic. 

Not doing it just allows the media to do what they do best which is protect Celtic by applying a Partick Thistle narrative to his words.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

The message is correct but if he wants my kudos he has to have the balls to mention Celtic. 

Not doing it just allows the media to do what they do best which is protect Celtic by applying a Partick Thistle narrative to his words.

Fair comment.

10 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

So he bottled it to mention Celtic.

To be fair, he didn't mention any club at all.  It's the BBC who've weaved it into a story about Thistle.  

But everyone knows what he means and no-one can deny it.  He's pretty much calling out his successor to do the right thing...

He did mention celtic by name, no surprise the paper left it out 

As for Morales 

The club in question have none, they handle being repugnant so well simply because they have always been repugnant 

You see some folks with no arms painting great works with their toes, It's the same thing, you learn to cope with what you are 

18 minutes ago, Rangers Lady said:

He did mention celtic by name, no surprise the paper left it out 

As for Morales 

The club in question have none, they handle being repugnant so well simply because they have always been repugnant 

You see some folks with no arms painting great works with their toes, It's the same thing, you learn to cope with what you are 

You must have heard a different interview from me then.  No mention from him about them in the Radio Scotland interview. At whatever clb it's happened it's a diabolical disgrace and the pain that people have suffered shouldn't be part of a points scoring exercise.

1 minute ago, offsiderules said:

You must have heard a different interview from me then.  No mention from him about them in the Radio Scotland interview. At whatever clb it's happened it's a diabolical disgrace and the pain that people have suffered shouldn't be part of a points scoring exercise.

I heard him mention celtic boys club, if I need to go dig out the interview I will

What gets me is, as you say, this subject, it's so serious yet some of our own have the audacity to accuse us of "Point Scoring" 

8 minutes ago, Rangers Lady said:

I heard him mention celtic boys club, if I need to go dig out the interview I will

What gets me is, as you say, this subject, it's so serious yet some of our own have the audacity to accuse us of "Point Scoring" 

Dig it out, if you would.

1 hour ago, SteveEarle said:

A former chief executive of the Scottish Football Association (SFA) has called for an inquiry into historical sexual abuse.

Gordon Smith told the BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme it should look at how clubs and national bodies responded to allegations.

His comments came after Partick Thistle confirmed that a physiotherapist was dismissed from Firhill in 1992.

The club said it acted immediately after allegations of abuse were made.

It said it had now informed the police and the football authorities.

'A disgrace'

Mr Smith said: "There should be an inquiry, an inquiry into anybody who knew anything about this sort of thing.

"If this was happening at a club, what action did they take?

"We're now finding out some of the cases down in England where the club tried to hush the situation, even paid a player money to not say anything about it."

The English Football Association has commissioned an independent investigation into the way it dealt with abuse allegations.

Image caption Partick Thistle said the police and the football authorities have now been informed

Partick Thistle have not named the physiotherapist accused of carrying out abuse or made clear if he was reported to the authorities at the time.

He has subsequently been named as John Hart, who died in 1995.

In a statement, the north Glasgow club said: "As far as Thistle's current management can ascertain, no other allegations were made to the club at that time with regard to him or any other employee.

"The club has contacted the SFA and Police Scotland to advise them of what they know to date and will fully comply with any investigation."

Gordon Smith said any inquiry set up by the football authorities would have to consider three groups of people.

"Obviously there's people who were committing the offences," he said. "They are a disgrace and hopefully they're going to be found out legally and charged.

"There's the kids who suffered from it who are now adults who obviously got great psychological and traumatic effects of it.

"The third element is the people who maybe knew something about this going on and didn't do anything about it. Although they're maybe not legally culpable they're certainly morally culpable because they didn't do anything about it."

Surely they could be legally culpable too?

Are there not cases in the papers about the partners of murderers / partners of people who abused toddlers that knew about the crime but didn't report it... and they are punished with jail time (albeit not as heavily punished as the actual murderer / abuser)... 

If BJK and he was alive today, surely he would be legally culpable. As is the others who are alive and knew. 

4 minutes ago, siamthedanger said:

That BBC article is a fucking disgrace. The brass neck of them mentioning Partick countless times but not once Celtic Football Club. They are not even trying to disguise this now. Covering up in full effect. 

Thats the bit i dont get. its historical fact that abuse happened at that club yet its not being mentioned. it must go deeper than football allegience though,as nobody no matter what club they support would condone child abuse. if it happened at Rangers i would be pushing to get the bastard done,and anyone who knew about it. fuck reputations its kids who's lives are at stake.