RFCRobertson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, psb07158 said:

Hands up I fucking slated him on here many a time. What I've noticed about his game is he has become much more aggressive which is what you need in Scotland. 

Hope he continues to shove my words down my throat 

The sign of a man to admit a faux pas. Like you say, I hope he keeps it up.

Now if Halliday could do the same........

10 hours ago, HG5 said:

I think Warburton's thrown his principles out the window!

With very satisfactory results!!!

The players look a lot happier with what they're doing over the last couple of games.

May not be as pretty but if we can conjure something like that up on the 31st, who cares?

I wouldn't say the gaffer has thrown his principles out the window,HG; what I would say is that in Clint Hill and Joe Garner+ possibly the likes of Matt Crooks, Phillipe Senderos et al we now have various targets in the box that can cause damage at set pieces in the air, as opposed to previously when we only had Kiernan and Wilson, so it was easy to pick our targets to mark.

1 minute ago, Reformation Bear said:

More goals please, and more often.

It would be really good to start to show that we have goal-scoring aerial threat at corner kicks / free kicks.    

Well I think our biggest threats would be Hill, Garner, Wilson and Kiernan. Maybe Senderos if he ever gets a game again. 

That's where the mixing up the corner take will matter most, having it short at times and long at other times. So the defenders don't know whether to rush out to Tav whose outside the box or stay with Garner. 

I've fuckin slated him all the time got to hold me hands up and say kiernan and Wilson at long last were fuckin superb yesterday when we were 2 up I kind of wanted them to have a few set pieces and crosses to see if they could deal with it . :001: Big tree 

Just now, RFCRobertson said:

Well I think our biggest threats would be Hill, Garner, Wilson and Kiernan. Maybe Senderos if he ever gets a game again. 

That's where the mixing up the corner take will matter most, having it short at times and long at other times. So the defenders don't know whether to rush out to Tav whose outside the box or stay with Garner. 

Agreed.  Losing the tag of predictability at set pieces and making the opposition uncertain of where the goal scoring threat comes from would be a very good thing.   Too often in recent times the approach at set pieces has been so predictable, and at the same time too unrewarding.

1 hour ago, Ozblue said:

I wouldn't say the gaffer has thrown his principles out the window,HG; what I would say is that in Clint Hill and Joe Garner+ possibly the likes of Matt Crooks, Phillipe Senderos et al we now have various targets in the box that can cause damage at set pieces in the air, as opposed to previously when we only had Kiernan and Wilson, so it was easy to pick our targets to mark.

That certainly helps, mate.

I'm more thinking we're a lot more direct than we have been, with much less of the aimless knocking it around until we forget what to do with it!

Means we're not dominating the ball as much, but the lads have been getting stuck in & winning lots of second balls.

May not be as pretty or controlled as before, but it seems like we've found a way of dealing with these teams that are in the same bracket as us.

Be interesting to see if we can take it on the road....

I think he , and our other cb's , have suffered a bit through taking short corners most of the time . Good to see that more lately we're taking some of them long and we might see this a bit more regularly . 

More pleased with the fact that he's been a lot more solid and reassured at the back . 

53 minutes ago, HG5 said:

That certainly helps, mate.

I'm more thinking we're a lot more direct than we have been, with much less of the aimless knocking it around until we forget what to do with it!

Means we're not dominating the ball as much, but the lads have been getting stuck in & winning lots of second balls.

May not be as pretty or controlled as before, but it seems like we've found a way of dealing with these teams that are in the same bracket as us.

Be interesting to see if we can take it on the road....

I would agree we are playing with a sharpness we haven't had since the start of the season and I put that down in part to our players now starting to gel a bit better and the fact we had too many players being off form at the same time.We certainly seem to be mixing it up more and not being so predictable in the last few games, so it will be interesting to see if we can  unlock the tight defences when we travel to the likes of Hamilton etc.

The style of football Warburton prefers needs players who can play quick penetrating movement and pass a ball properly, which we will need to have playing the likes of the sheep and Hearts, plus Bheast FC.

1 minute ago, Ozblue said:

I would agree we are playing with a sharpness we haven't had since the start of the season and I put that down in part to our players now starting to gel a bit better and the fact we had too many players being off form at the same time.We certainly seem to be mixing it up more and not being so predictable in the last few games, so it will be interesting to see if we can  unlock the tight defences when we travel to the likes of Hamilton etc.

The style of football Warburton prefers needs players who can play quick penetrating movement and pass a ball properly, which we will need to have playing the likes of the sheep and Hearts, plus Bheast FC.

Yes - the tight pitches are another story...

Was listening to Man City's game on the way back down the road.

They'd completed 495 passes to Leicester's 96.

And were 3-0 down! 

A bit extreme, maybe, but reminded me of how we've been at times!

4 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Yes - the tight pitches are another story...

Was listening to Man City's game on the way back down the road.

They'd completed 495 passes to Leicester's 96.

And were 3-0 down! 

A bit extreme, maybe, but reminded me of how we've been at times!

All my coaching life I have been saying that it's not the amount of possession you have that wins games; it's what you do with it that counts as shown in the Leicester game. Leicester had 22% possession over the entire game yet were 3-0 up after 20 minutes and 4-0 up with 12 minutes left to play.

Your last sentence is spot on and was the big flaw in our system of play = we get possession and pass around all over the park going nowhere; meanwhile our opponents gladly withdraw back to their penalty box with 10 players behind the ball and we have no answer to them.

Kiernans performances in the last 2 games have been reminiscent of the semi final in April.  It's why I really can't criticise him because the solidness is always there.  Kiernan was good yesterday but wilson for me was immense.  If any of our midfielders had that range of passing we'd score barrowloads

4 hours ago, Ozblue said:

All my coaching life I have been saying that it's not the amount of possession you have that wins games; it's what you do with it that counts as shown in the Leicester game. Leicester had 22% possession over the entire game yet were 3-0 up after 20 minutes and 4-0 up with 12 minutes left to play.

Your last sentence is spot on and was the big flaw in our system of play = we get possession and pass around all over the park going nowhere; meanwhile our opponents gladly withdraw back to their penalty box with 10 players behind the ball and we have no answer to them.

Probably shouldn't work like that, but changing from total domination of the ball to chucking it in the mixer a bit looks more likely to get us the results we want!

doh

3 hours ago, HG5 said:

Probably shouldn't work like that, but changing from total domination of the ball to chucking it in the mixer a bit looks more likely to get us the results we want!

doh

Our problem was that we dominated the football in most games but in the wrong areas, plus the fact we were so predictable in how our passing shape mapped out that opposition teams had us sussed even before the game started. Now we appear to be mixing the play up and our opponents have to make a choice whether to press us high or have their midfield drop deeper to defend when we decide to go long.

Our recent tactics would bring out the best in a player like Niko Kranjcar who would have a field day in our midfield.

16 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Our problem was that we dominated the football in most games but in the wrong areas, plus the fact we were so predictable in how our passing shape mapped out that opposition teams had us sussed even before the game started. Now we appear to be mixing the play up and our opponents have to make a choice whether to press us high or have their midfield drop deeper to defend when we decide to go long.

Our recent tactics would bring out the best in a player like Niko Kranjcar who would have a field day in our midfield.

Aye - his passing would have been just the job, against less packed defences.

?