Players who surprised you

K.A.I

I think Weir and Rod Wallace are the two main standouts. Both more than surpassed expectation and were brilliant for us. 

Generally speaking, I think most players we sign from Scottish Clubs, I tend to have second thoughts about. Not necessarily because I didn't think they were decent, most of them I thought were, but just a combination of being unsure whether they could make the big step up to play for us but also some of them were in their twilight years. Therefore I think i've been surprised how well guys like Andrews, Latapy, Thompson, Thomson, Boyd, Naismith, Johnston, Dodds and even Caniggia did for us. I was aware of Caniggia's pedigree of course but at his age I had my doubts. What a fucking class act he was though, even at that time of his career. Incredible ability. 

Nacho Novo is another one. I think we signed him around about the same time we signed Dado Prso who had just smashed the Champions League with Monaco as well as Boumsong who (along with possibly Mexes) were touted as some sort of French superstars. Therefore I wasn't overly excited by signing little old Nacho from the mighty Dundee, despite a very decent return with Raith/Dundee. Boy did he prove me wrong, and some though.

Lastly, I would probably say Jelavic too. I'll be honest and say I knew nothing about him. All I knew was he scored against the taigs and the whole villa/rapid/away goals chat that still exists to this day! However the reason I had my doubts was simply down to the fact that, as I didn't know much about him it was a helluva lot of money for us to pay, that seemed to keep going up and up. Also, as in recent times, money was tight and Smith had an option of going for quality (which is always a risk no matter how much research you put in) or quantity. I was unsure if putting all your eggs in one basket was the correct way to go however I have to say Smith got it right as Jelavic proved to be a fantastic signing...........

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only player that I can fully remember slating fuck out of was Miller when he was due to come back the 2nd time and the guy next to me at ibrox was all for it and i used every excuse under the sun for why a thought Miller was Shite and shouldn't be allowed back but he has proved me wrong 100x time over 

Goram, nightmare goal for jambo's against us, thought wtf, semi final v hibs letting that chunt wright score

Davie Robertson, from the baabaa's, how they hated him afterwards

Basil Boli, thought what a signing.....dire

Alexei Mikhailichenko, what a player he turned out to be

39 minutes ago, Liam_RFC said:

The only player that I can fully remember slating fuck out of was Miller when he was due to come back the 2nd time and the guy next to me at ibrox was all for it and i used every excuse under the sun for why a thought Miller was Shite and shouldn't be allowed back but he has proved me wrong 100x time over 

Yeah same, it didn't help where he'd been but I genuinely did think he just wasn't good enough as a player and was only known for running about

Got it way wrong

56 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Dingy Hamilton in 1975, low key signing who turned out to be an integral part of a Treble winning team. Shrewd move by Jock Wallace.

Never heard of him, who did we buy from and what kind of career did he have with and after us?

7 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Is there anyone through the years that when we signed you thought "ffs no - waste of money" but they turned out to be really good players?

For me 

Kenny Miller second time - not just because of the Celtic thing I just didn't think he would be any good but the impact he had when Walter signed him was incredible. 

David Weir - I remember watching him and Daily for Scotland against Faroe's in a 2-2 draw and they looked absolutely pish and I didn't really remember thinking he was great at Falkirk, Hearts or Everton but what a signing he was for us. Not a good passer of the ball but could read the game superbly and time his tackles to perfection.

Nacho Novo - Watching him for Dundee and thinking he was a wee headless chicken. Again, not blessed with massive footballing ability but a big game player. Some of his goals and finishes on the biggest occasions. 

Stevie Thompson - Maybe a strange one but I thought he was very under-rated with us and got a hard time from the fans but nowhere near as bad as people made out. Done us a turn and for cheap. 

We made them look pish :pipe: 

I remember feeling embarrassed when we signed Caniggia as I remembered him from a world cup that seemed a lifetime away. Was a great wee player for us.

Can't remember how much we paid but that Tugay was a class act. Revered in Blackburn.

I also liked that mad keeper Charbonnier

On the other side of the coin it would have to be Boli

King Kenneth

Hated and booed him when he resigned but has proven himself time and time again, I'll never call him a legend since Imo you can never be called a Rangers legend if you played for them, but he's redeemed himself and more