The main problem with the team.

Chineseboy

This is not a thread bashing the manager, but I feel that the big problem with the team at the moment is that we don't have a settled first eleven. In order to get confidence and playing together well, then we should have a team that knows how we all play. At the moment we are playing a different team each week, so it basically comes down to a pre season match every week where we are trying to see how we play together. This is something that should not be happening half way through a season. Furthermore, the players that we do stick with each week are probably the players who shouldn't be starting each week. However, it could be argued that given the method we now employ of signing loan players, then this is not going to change in the near future. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Chineseboy said:

This is not a thread bashing the manager, but I feel that the big problem with the team at the moment is that we don't have a settled first eleven. In order to get confidence and playing together well, then we should have a team that knows how we all play. At the moment we are playing a different team each week, so it basically comes down to a pre season match every week where we are trying to see how we play together. This is something that should not be happening half way through a season. Furthermore, the players that we do stick with each week are probably the players who shouldn't be starting each week. However, it could be argued that given the method we now employ of signing loan players, then this is not going to change in the near future. Thoughts?

I think the manager is trying to create a scenario where the system is the consistency 

not saying I agree with him but the thought process would be that the players know the position inside out and any number of players can play in those roles.  

Have the same structure and system from top to bottom and you slot the players in. 

He doesn't really have a first team 11. He says constantly it's about the 22. He sees the squad not the starting 11

1 minute ago, Bakbear said:

I think the manager is trying to create a scenario where the system is the consistency 

not saying I agree with him but the thought process would be that the players know the position inside out and any number of players can play in those roles.  

Have the same structure and system from top to bottom and you slot the players in. 

He doesn't really have a first team 11. He says constantly it's about the 22. He sees the squad not the starting 11

Good point, but would still rather have a best first eleven for these positions instead of constant chopping and changing.

Fod. Hill. Wallace. Halliday. Miller. All absolute stick ons for a start

mcKay. Tav. Kiernan. Holt. Almost certain to start when fit

So that leaves two positions up for grabs. 

Up until the loanees came in anyway. It can be argued that the lack of changes is just as damaging as too many?

40 minutes ago, Chineseboy said:

Before changing to a 3-5-2 just after Christmas our line ups were pretty consistent IMO. It was generally:

Foderingham,

Tavernier, Kiernan/Wilson, Hill, Wallace,

Holt, Halliday, Windass/Forrester,

Waghorn, Garner/Miller, McKay.

Apart from Waghorn and McKay being dropped for a short period that was pretty much our usual line up.

IMO a lot of players just not being good enough is our biggest problem.  Also every head goes down almost every time we go a goal behind.

I think the main problem is we have a manager who cannot see the mistakes the players make and change the personnel or adapt to it, we have the same defenders making the same mistakes they were making in the Championship and still playing every week.

Whether we play good or bad teams the mistakes are the same.

The players aren't good enough and while I do think Warburton would obviously do better with more quality to work with,his decision making is really atrocious at times when it comes to starting lineups substitutions etc,and the biggest red flag for him as a manager is his last two (nearly three) transfer windows.

We have Crooks away out on loan (a natural DM) while we're stuck with Halliday playing there :duh:

P.S I somehow managed to leave out his away record....

Our biggest issue is that we haven't spent enough on quality players who through their performances MUST be on the teamsheet.

Fod and McKay aside there's no one I'd worry about losing at the moment. 

That said, I do wish we had more consistency in selection. Particularly upfront - strikers need a run of games to build confidence IMO. 

The players have been rank with less than half consistently getting pass marks in games. Even if shite they have often retained their place. Typically when they have been replaced the replacement has been just as bad.

A lot of this is basics nothing Barca like - defenders unable to defend, midfielders anonymous and neither helping defence out or supporting attack, forwards failing to create and take chances.

We've been hit hard by injuries and several players from last season have really underperformed. 

Manager deserves considerable blame too as he continues to try to get players to fit his tactics rather getting a working system to suit his players.

All in all a cluster fuck.

33 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

Before changing to a 3-5-2 just after Christmas our line ups were pretty consistent IMO. It was generally:

Foderingham,

Tavernier, Kiernan/Wilson, Hill, Wallace,

Holt, Halliday, Windass/Forrester,

Waghorn, Garner/Miller, McKay.

Apart from Waghorn and McKay being dropped for a short period that was pretty much our usual line up.

IMO a lot of players just not being good enough is our biggest problem.  Also every head goes down almost every time we go a goal behind.

Would agree with above.

We have made changes, mainly in the midfield & front but the guys who come in are no better than the others and plsy to system so no real individuality.

We need a commanding player in the middle of the park that can grab the game with the scruff of the neck and drive us on. We  dont seem to have any characters in the team.  

We are a bit Vanilla 

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

He is our tinkerman 

Wonder if that would make King to be beggarman? Not in the sense of someone who is homeless and might be pitied.   But someone who has made himself  financially impoverished in terms of being prepared to invest as promised in Rangers.....to the point that his lack of financial investment and lack of quality in leadership of the Club begin to beggar belief.

5 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Wonder if that would make King to be beggarman? Not in the sense of someone who is homeless and might be pitied.   But someone who has made himself  financially impoverished in terms of being prepared to invest as promised in Rangers.....to the point that his lack of financial investment and lack of quality in leadership of the Club begin to beggar belief.

You ok mate? That's the shortest post I've seen you make for some time, ha

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Our biggest issue is that we haven't spent enough on quality players who through their performances MUST be on the teamsheet.

Fod and McKay aside there's no one I'd worry about losing at the moment. 

That said, I do wish we had more consistency in selection. Particularly upfront - strikers need a run of games to build confidence IMO. 

I agree about those 2, probably our biggest assets, i'd throw Miller in there too. We'd be pretty much fucked without him IMO. 

The real problem is we have no leaders in our team. Leaving savco aside these players should be more than good enough to be comfortably in second. The attitude at the club stinks from the top to the bottom. How many times this season have we seen this team faffing about and only get shaken into action when we lose a goal. Saturday was a prime example, we faffed about for 75 mins until they scored and then we gained a sense of urgency and put them under pressure. MW said he was happy how we moved the ball after the match, he should have been getting stuck into them for treating it like a training match. 

The main problem at the weekend was playing 3 or 4 passes to get the ball from A to B instead of playing it straight from A to B quickly. It was painful to watch. 

If there's no intensity and quickness then that gives the opposition time to get themselves organised again. The only times we looked dangerous were when we broke at pace. Of course, you can't do that unless you catch the opposition on the break but if we moved the ball around more quickly when they had men behind the ball then it would've freed up some space to exploit. 

We've also only got one player in McKay (maybe Windass too at a push) who can actually go past a man. Waggy can be alright 1 on 1 as well but if we had more players capable of stepping past their man then it'd force another of the opposition to step out of position - creating space. 

Just need to look at the league table, we do not score anywhere near as many goals as we should.

Some say we don't create enough others think we do not have a natural finisher, probably a mixture of both. We tend to waste 3 or more chances before scoring one, never tend to turn half chances into goals.

Striker needed aswell as the midfield chipping in with goals. Hopefully the 2 loan signings will chip in and possibly the young lad from Villa.

If we knew how to defend, at all, we'd be a lot closer to the tims than what we are. If you even look back at the first 4 games of the season every single one of the goals could've been avoided with basic defending. 

Hamilton goal, should've done a lot better dealing with the cross and then could've cleared it three times after that. Disgraceful.

Dundee - man marking. Basic. 

Motherwell - Should have done miles better dealing with that cross that lead to the goal, again from the right side. 

Kilmarnock - was actually a good goal tbf but you'd like to think we know Boyd a bit better than that and know what he would've done and maybe try and catch him offside with a defensive line. 

And then the Celtic game, not worth mentioning, that was just a shambles at the back, we made it so easy for them, would never have happened under Walter or even Ally tbf. 

And that's been the theme of our defence since. 

If we can see it, why can't Warburton or Weir? 

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:58 PM, Johnny Dangerously said:

You ok mate? That's the shortest post I've seen you make for some time, ha

Yes - I'm fine.   Thanks for asking.  I'm often told that less is more.  Sometimes I take heed.  

.....then normal service resumes.