Gary Rowett

WCPRANGERS1

Now not starting this as a "he wants to come here" thread, more a thread in terms of what do people think of him?

He seems to have done fairly well getting Birmingham back to a reasonable position in the Championship before his sacking, although doesnt have a great win percentage there.

I'll admit I dont know a great deal about him but have seen Rangers fans on social media wanting him in charge.

Has also allegedly made himself available to us   http://www.footballinsider247.com/highly-rated-42-year-old-made-rangers-board-aware-interest-manager-job-report/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short term I'd rather have him than McLeish.

I'd prefer we found a long term replacement now though rather than wait until the summer.

We'll either have Euro games or League cup games early on which means little pre-season time for a new manager to come in during the summer and see what's what and who he thinks he can keep and get rid of.

4 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

I do not know much about him, but not fantastic career results as a manager:

Burton Albion 2012 - 2014  W 62 D 34 L 45  - Win % 43.97  (Total games 141)

Birmingham City 2014 - 2016 W 42 D 32 L 32  - Win % 39.62  (Total games 106)

Those stats arent great bt he did take Birmingham from 21st to 10th then the following season 7th before sacking.....other than those stas i really dunno much about him, playing style etc......

9 minutes ago, WCPRANGERS1 said:

Those stats arent great bt he did take Birmingham from 21st to 10th then the following season 7th before sacking.....other than those stas i really dunno much about him, playing style etc......

He compared his teams to Atletico/Leicester. They defend well and hit on the counter. Usually opts for a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

2 minutes ago, WCPRANGERS1 said:

:thumbup:

It was because I did not know much about him that made me have a wee search and realised they were not great. I would be surprised if we go for him but you never know. 

NO. Anybody who has watched his Birmingham side will see lots of running/effort but no flair in the performances. Last season started well then they tired, had run of of 10 games approx without win and dropped down the table, this season the performances were same. Brum fans were split over Rowett, but they preferred him to Zola. 

5 minutes ago, PRW. said:

He compared his teams to Atletico/Leicester. They defend well and hit on the counter. Usually opts for a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

You know what mate i actually wouldnt mind us playing to that style and in fact the countering kind of style would probably suit us more in the the short to medium, only issue with that is do we have the players to defend well enough, i think we do have good counter attacking players....

I'd take Rowett in a heartbeat over any of the other names being touted other than FDB. Very impressive at a provincial club like Burton and I know the Birmingham fans are furious still that he was sacked. They've won once in 11 games under Zola since. Heard he does a belting rendition of the sash as well. Rowett Loyal ?⚪️?

41 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Short term I'd rather have him than McLeish.

I'd prefer we found a long term replacement now though rather than wait until the summer.

We'll either have Euro games or League cup games early on which means little pre-season time for a new manager to come in during the summer and see what's what and who he thinks he can keep and get rid of.

See that for me is something that is being hugely overlooked. Sure we have to go with the current squad but any new long term manager has a very short window to get the players training/playing to his ethos.

The season ends what the end of May then starts again the end of June. One good thing means we shouldnt be involved in the league cup early on as happened with euro qualifiers this season.

Part of me thinks even if we ave an "interim" boss he will have a good shout of being long term.

55 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Given the financial gap at the moment that is probably the kind of manager that we need to be looking for. Not sure Rowett has the experience at a big club. Again I'm glad there are other candidates outwith the usual suspects interested in the job. 

44 minutes ago, eosmhdo said:

An ex Burton and Birmingham boss? FFS, we are talking about Rangers manager here. Not for me at all. 

McLeish was at what Mwell and Hibs before us.

Walter assistant and Dundee Utd and us before manager....

Warburton Brentford boss only....