Billy Gilmour away to Chelsea

scottjf82

3 minutes ago, stevemac said:

It was a 30-40 grand Jag, and he didnt exactly go and chuck a weeks wages at it, he'd been saving for 3 years from his youth contract to buy it.

Still a lot of money but youths aren't on as much as you think down there. Plenty of young guns in the premiership with appearances to their names earning a grand or two a week.

Thought it was 80. 

How do you know he had been saving?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

Thought it was 80. 

How do you know he had been saving?

It was in the video and his Instagram post.

His dad went to all of his matches and took him up and down the country to every game as a youth in a battered old focus and he wanted to repay his dad for it and he said he'd been saving since he got his first pro contract to get his dad his dream car, a Jag. Looked to me like an F type or something which is about 40 grand. 

4 hours ago, JustJen said:

10 out of 10 for this one. How many knew big DJ went to Chelsea before Jock W brought him back?

Not before he went to Dundee utd on loan and made his dream come true playing for the team he supported as a boy:britney:

Shit what all this TV cash has done to football. Bad enough we can't buy Laudrups anymore and can easily be outspent by seaside clubs but not being able to keep promising kids just shows how much of a farce football has become. 

He'd have been better here for football reasons as he's more chance of making it and getting a big contracts move after proving himself. That would earn him more long term and guarantee him a first team chance at whatever Micky Mouse Sky TV outfit bought him.

No doubt he's been advised that he'd be with other top talents and that would raise his level but nothing is better for a career than breaking into a first team and playing senior football. First team football for us would give him great experience at a young age. He won't get that down there as young and could easily just fail to make it.

Rangers would probably have been willing to give him extra leeway to make it if anything. I don't hold it against him as this generation are born into the culture of the big time is down South and he'll have been told to grab the cash just in case his career doesn't work out. Just think he'll probably lose out in the long term as the odds are against him making it. Many more get a chance after starring for Rangers than leaving Scotland to join youth teams down in England.

He will get a chance up here even if he doesn't make it down there but it probably won't be with us. Wise move would have been to try and bag some recognition by being a Rangers player then seeing what happens rather than taking the risk of failing down South and ending up a Dundee Utd substitute for most of your career. Reminds me of the stupid move that Liam Miller lad made when he left the filth for Man Utd.

He'd have more chance of making it at Rangers. That should be his number one priority. It's not as if we pay buttons but I'm glad we haven't went silly over him as it would just be daft given how many of these highly rated young kids disappear. 

36 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Shit what all this TV cash has done to football. Bad enough we can't buy Laudrups anymore and can easily be outspent by seaside clubs but not being able to keep promising kids just shows how much of a farce football has become. 

He'd have been better here for football reasons as he's more chance of making it and getting a big contracts move after proving himself. That would earn him more long term and guarantee him a first team chance at whatever Micky Mouse Sky TV outfit bought him.

No doubt he's been advised that he'd be with other top talents and that would raise his level but nothing is better for a career than breaking into a first team and playing senior football. First team football for us would give him great experience at a young age. He won't get that down there as young and could easily just fail to make it.

Rangers would probably have been willing to give him extra leeway to make it if anything. I don't hold it against him as this generation are born into the culture of the big time is down South and he'll have been told to grab the cash just in case his career doesn't work out. Just think he'll probably lose out in the long term as the odds are against him making it. Many more get a chance after starring for Rangers than leaving Scotland to join youth teams down in England.

He will get a chance up here even if he doesn't make it down there but it probably won't be with us. Wise move would have been to try and bag some recognition by being a Rangers player then seeing what happens rather than taking the risk of failing down South and ending up a Dundee Utd substitute for most of your career. Reminds me of the stupid move that Liam Miller lad made when he left the filth for Man Utd.

He'd have more chance of making it at Rangers. That should be his number one priority. It's not as if we pay buttons but I'm glad we haven't went silly over him as it would just be daft given how many of these highly rated young kids disappear. 

Millers attitude was the reason he never made it. He had, at least broken into the first team when he left.

I think its a mistake from a purely footballing viewpoint (if the reports are confirmed). Money doesnt seem to be the immediate  issue as it has been claimed, on here, that the offers are similar at around £6k a week. What other enticements Chelsea are offering may be the crux of the issue and the opportunity for the family to move South.

The pressure applied by some EPL teams to attract youngsters is intensifying (see Liverpools recent issues) but only seems to have a negative effect on the majority. Lets hope that the talk of a 'clear path to the first team' comes to fruition and provides enough incentive to others to see Rangers as something more than a stepping stone.

So it is a newspaper report and nothing official, at 15 there are no guarantees that you will make it anywhere in football at any level never mind at one of the top clubs, the failure rate must be in the high 90's % for youths to make it.

The one thing Sky/BT cant change is that you are only allowed 11 players on the park at one time and all the time you have the pick of the stall in world football it lessens even more the chances of a youth coming through the system of making it, by the time Billy Gilmour is anywhere near the finished article as a player Chelsea will have signed another 20 "Billy Gilmours"

I think he has been with us since he was 8 so its a bit of a kick in the nuts for all the guys who have nurtured this boy to see him leave for such a paltry (if true) fee, I really hope it is a load of shite and he stays at Rangers to have a fighting chance of a career here, and if he does turn out special we are suitably rewarded financially for the time and effort put in.

I think we plundered Gattuso under similar circumstances that had his club seething at the time so I suppose its swings and roundabouts and maybe its the system that is flawed.

8 hours ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Gone are those days when Chelsea players left Chelsea for Rangers. 

Can't remember any, but surely there was.

8 hours ago, tannerall said:

First thing I thought of was cellic's wonder kid Islam Feruz who's been 4 years at Chelsea and not played once.  Been loaned out every season to such exotic teams as OFI Crete, Blackpool, Hibs, Mouscron and now Swindon Town and has played a total of 19 first team games in those four years. 

However, as a previos poster suggested, I hope we have a few good apperance and sell on clauses in the deal. 

Yes very true however he is now a millionaire a few times over at 21yr old. His contract expires in summer he was on  35k a week in his last year !!!  What's to say he would've made it if he had stayed???  It's life you have to siege every opportunity no regrets  good luck to Billy he has made the correct life choice sad to see him go but totally understand his choice 

1 hour ago, RFC Eagle said:

Millers attitude was the reason he never made it. He had, at least broken into the first team when he left.

I think its a mistake from a purely footballing viewpoint (if the reports are confirmed). Money doesnt seem to be the immediate  issue as it has been claimed, on here, that the offers are similar at around £6k a week. What other enticements Chelsea are offering may be the crux of the issue and the opportunity for the family to move South.

The pressure applied by some EPL teams to attract youngsters is intensifying (see Liverpools recent issues) but only seems to have a negative effect on the majority. Lets hope that the talk of a 'clear path to the first team' comes to fruition and provides enough incentive to others to see Rangers as something more than a stepping stone.

Miller was 23 yr old not 15 !!!!! He was never going to make it even at Celtic he was possibly sir Alex worst signing signed on the strength of one game !!! 

1 minute ago, GeeSS said:

Miller was 23 yr old not 15 !!!!! He was never going to make it even at Celtic he was possibly sir Alex worst signing signed on the strength of one game !!! 

I know how old Miller was and his issue was attitude. I think you've forgotten Ralph Milne and Bebe!:lol:

My point was Miller had made the first team so was not comparable.

1 minute ago, Gaz52 said:

Somehow I don't think he'd be stupid and his family wouldn't let him stand in a Celtic end for an old firm. 

I call bullshit unless there's evidence. 

Totally agree with that mate, especially if it's correct about the 5-1 game as there was no talk of Chelsea interest etc at this point and for a player to be connected to our club even at youth level to stand in their end cheering on our most hated rivals in the days of every cunt filming literary everything then you'd have to be pretty fucking stupid indeed. 

32 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

I know how old Miller was and his issue was attitude. I think you've forgotten Ralph Milne and Bebe!:lol:

My point was Miller had made the first team so was not comparable.

Sorry i totally agree with you my reply was directed to the other poster  comparing Miller to Gilmour and yes Fergie did made a few costly mistakes !

31 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Fuck him. Chose cash over a career. Wee tim anyway. 

No he isn't some people on here are so misinformed the lad is a big fan unfortunately for us Chelsea have given him the chance to make him and his family secure for life he has to grasp this chance in football there are no guarantees he could suffer an injury to end his career tomorrow or he could simply not improve and drift out the game in life you always grasp every opportunity that presents itself as you don't get a second chance if it was my son I would be advising him to go and I am sure deep down we would all do the same  sad but true 

9 hours ago, gmcf said:

Would you want him back ? Being the Devils Advocate here but there is a bit of similarity to that of naismith, lafferty et all . 

Not trying to be harsh here , as he is just a boy , but I'd have thought he must know he has a better chance at Rangers in the next couple of years , than he will there , other than the fact of more money . 

I don't think I would want him back. He would only come back if he fails down south and who would want that?

20 minutes ago, West_Side said:

Has there been some proof of him being at the 5-1 game I've missed?

This angle is often discovered when someone for whatever reason is deemed to be out of favour..... it's usually without conclusive evidence.

------------------

If BG goes as is likely, good luck to the lad.

But it does leave a sour taste in the mouth in that you wonder why even bother discovering and nuturing exceptional talent in this day and age. It's just another aspect of an increasingly uneven playing field within a business that has very little sport left in it.

7 hours ago, gmcf said:

Well actually it is a fair point , if it's true . 

I couldn't give a fuck if he's a taig or not , but to support the opponents of the players that you know , train with and be a part of a team with , then yes , fuck him. 

Whatever happened to squad unity ? 

Totally with you, how he can potentially train with the team and support the fierce rivals is rather poor and ill advised especially as he is in the public eye.

I support Rangers and they are my main concern not some wee guy who has not represnted the club....why would I give a shit about him.

Clearly he will leave, being a Celtic fan tells me his choice of joining Chelsea has already been made......Billy who 

9 hours ago, tannerall said:

First thing I thought of was cellic's wonder kid Islam Feruz who's been 4 years at Chelsea and not played once.  Been loaned out every season to such exotic teams as OFI Crete, Blackpool, Hibs, Mouscron and now Swindon Town and has played a total of 19 first team games in those four years. 

However, as a previos poster suggested, I hope we have a few good apperance and sell on clauses in the deal. 

1 of those sides has a euro trophy pal vs Napoli away 3 0 with a eyetie riot at 70mins and afterwards. A shit euro trophy perhaps but beat Juve(with Fabio Capello) along the way!

1 hour ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Fuck him. Chose cash over a career. Wee tim anyway. 

He's not - there a several members on here posting/claiming this.

It's misinformed nonsense at best. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this because my info is that the family would not decide until he was actually 16 although admittedly Chelsea was the likely choice. 

6 hours ago, stevemac said:

It was a 30-40 grand Jag, and he didnt exactly go and chuck a weeks wages at it, he'd been saving for 3 years from his youth contract to buy it.

Still a lot of money but youths aren't on as much as you think down there. Plenty of young guns in the premiership with appearances to their names earning a grand or two a week.

Mate you're wrong there I know for a fact some of their players in their u23/u18 will be earning significantly more than some

of the top earners at our club at the moment. In addition to that, Chelsea will have offered his parents and the boy all sorts to turn the deal in their favour. This is going back the best part of 6/7 years and even then when Josh McEachran signed his first deal there he was getting £15k a week. The figures are higher now. 

Given the fact there are no Chelsea academy graduates playing in the premier league, apart from Ryan Bertrand. I'd hoped he'd have continued his education here or even at a club more likely to give him a pathway to the first team but as the old saying goes money talks. 

When you think of how few players from our youth system who have become Rangers regulars over the last 30 years staying with us would appear to be as big a career gamble as going to Chelsea.

Going by history his career would be better going to another scottish team who would give himm game time and then sell him to us for a fortune.