Barton gets 18 month ban :-)

Former Rangers midfielder Joey Barton has been given an 18-month ban by the English FA after being found guilty of breaching strict rules on gambling.

The Burnley player was also fined £30,000 and warned about his future conduct after admitting that he had bet on football matches over a ten-year period.

He was charged with placing 1260 wagers on matches between March 2006 and May 2016, including bets against his own team.

An FA statement read: "Joey Barton has been suspended from football and all football activity for 18 months with immediate effect after he admitted an FA misconduct charge in relation to betting.

"It was alleged that between 26 March 2006 and 13 May 2016, he placed 1260 bets on the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in, football matches or competitions in breach of FA Rule E8.

"Following the Independent Regulatory Commission hearing, the Burnley midfielder was also fined £30,000 and warned as to his future conduct."

Burnley have said Barton intends to appeal the length of the suspension.

In a lengthy statement on his personal website, Barton explained he had a gambling problem and insisted he had not bet on any games in which he had played.

He did admit to betting against his own side at times when he was not available to play.

It is the second time in less than a year that Barton has been punished for breaking rules on betting.

During his short spell at Rangers, the player was charged with betting on 44 matches between July 1 and September 15.

At a Scottish FA hearing which he attended in person, Barton was suspended for one match.

32 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

That's a proper skelping and has finished his career if he doesn't get it reduced. Maybe it's because of all his shit over the years but Cantana got 12 months or so less for booting a punter in the mush. I'd be raging if that was me.

Cantona was one incident and he was under extreme provocation, Barton committed the same infraction over 1,000 times.  Did he come to Scotland initially to move out of the FA's jurisdiction?

Seems harsh specifically because it will effectively end his career , but hard to sympathise with anyone who backs his own team to lose, regardless he didn't play in the games. No doubt though the FA are sending out a message and Joey is the perfect sacrifice as no one will give s shit.

So the English FA give him 18 months for 1260 bets and the SFA give him a one match ban for 44 bets. 

The number of bets are both excessive but the SFA just look either toothless or incompetent.

You just wonder if this was all done in his own name and if so, why the fk would you ? Crazy by JB and any addiction should be laughed at.

15 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Cantona was one incident and he was under extreme provocation, Barton committed the same infraction over 1,000 times.  Did he come to Scotland initially to move out of the FA's jurisdiction?

Maybe. Has this been brewing since before he came to us? I get the repeated nature of it but I can't think of anyone getting anywhere near that for betting. If he's been doing it on his own games and making money then it would be technically cheating I suppose. Kicking a supporter in the stand in the mush trumps this for me though. Will see what it's saying on the news later but looks like they're using him to set an example. Must be loads of them that having been betting over the course of their careers. What did Ian Black get for his bets? 

8 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Maybe. Has this been brewing since before he came to us? I get the repeated nature of it but I can't think of anyone getting anywhere near that for betting. If he's been doing it on his own games and making money then it would be technically cheating I suppose. Kicking a supporter in the stand in the mush trumps this for me though. Will see what it's saying on the news later but looks like they're using him to set an example. Must be loads of them that having been betting over the course of their careers. What did Ian Black get for his bets? 

To be honest I have more sympathy for Cantona that for Barton, then again my temperament is more akin to that of the Frenchman and I have never had a gambling problem (unless you count picking donkeys).  If Barton has an addiction, then like Gazza he needs help.  If he is pretending to have an addiction then throw the book at him cause it diminishes the effect of what is a serious illness that devastates families.  

Just like the EBT situation, authorities look for an easy target and Barton fits that bill, probably many more players doing exactly the same thing but Barton, with his history, is an easy one to use as an example.  

1 hour ago, RFCRobertson said:

Nice new pic Kai 

Better than yours with a horrendous cunt in it. Am not talking to you unless you change it.  

Thats final. Even your bestest thread making skills, gifs or memes will not intice me in 

nope never