Change of Formation

Sack the wingers, we've tried to play with them for years and it hasn't worked yet. 

4-1-2-1-2. 

Fod

Tav Cardoso Alves Wallace

Jack

Pena Dorrans

Kranjcar

Morelos Herrera. 

Why we play with 2 holding mids is mental, add in the abomination of wingers we have and we're probably playing to our weaknesses

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, deco19761 said:

How can you think 3 is.too defensive yet you mark down 4 at the back ? 

I think he thought it was a back 5, with 3 centre backs, rather than the two wing backs being part of the midfield. 

1 hour ago, deco19761 said:

How can you think 3 is.too defensive yet you mark down 4 at the back ? 

Because in a back 4 you only have 2 center halves on the pitch. Even if we play 3 at the back, the 2 wide players become full backs when we are off the ball. So it's really a back 5 when not in possession. A back 4 is always a back 4 defensively. 

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

Sack the wingers, we've tried to play with them for years and it hasn't worked yet. 

4-1-2-1-2. 

Fod

Jack

Pena Dorrans

Kranjcar

Morelos Herrera. 

Why we play with 2 holding mids is mental, add in the abomination of wingers we have and we're probably playing to our weaknesses

Peña wasn't fit, and Dorrans was ineligible; don't think that was any indication that we plan to play Jack, Rossiter and Niko as our midfield. 

I think when everyone's up to speed we should go...

Fod

Tav Alves Cardoso Wallace

Jack

Dorrans Pena

Candeias     Dalcio 

Herrera 

Serious question marks over Wallace, but I think Dalcio needs time. If Walker comes in then obviously Dalcio drops out. 

Key to the formation is midfielders breaking forward, which Dorrans and Pena can both do. 

Miller and Niko don't have the legs for it anymore, but can both be useful impact subs if we're struggling to break teams down. 

I know everything's pretty negative at the moment, but I think we've now got a good spine to the side. 

1 hour ago, plymouthranger said:

Because in a back 4 you only have 2 center halves on the pitch. Even if we play 3 at the back, the 2 wide players become full backs when we are off the ball. So it's really a back 5 when not in possession. A back 4 is always a back 4 defensively. 

I would prefer a simple back three with the two aforementioned holding defensive midfielders creating the cushioning between midfield and defence.  Our problem has been that we have been over run in midfield even against lesser opposition. Pena and dorrans going forward will create snd those two can give stability.  Celtic played 5 against us and we had three in opposition. That's why they were winning the games in the midfield . Our defenders.eere.being pulled out to shut down space as we had no midfield there. This formula would allow defenders to defend and for the other two to stop attacks before it gets into he danger areas. 

1 hour ago, plymouthranger said:

Mate man United used to play that way and walker tried it but you have got to have the personnel to do that. We don't.  Simple 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

I think when everyone's up to speed we should go...

Fod

Tav Alves Cardoso Wallace

Jack

Dorrans Pena

Candeias     Dalcio 

Herrera 

Serious question marks over Wallace, but I think Dalcio needs time. If Walker comes in then obviously Dalcio drops out. 

Key to the formation is midfielders breaking forward, which Dorrans and Pena can both do. 

Miller and Niko don't have the legs for it anymore, but can both be useful impact subs if we're struggling to break teams down. 

I know everything's pretty negative at the moment, but I think we've now got a good spine to the side. 

That team is lucky to finish 4th. 

Personally speaking, going back to basics with a 442 would be a good start.

Fod

? Jack Dorrans ?

Herrera Miller

WIngers i've left blank as I am 100% convinced our weakness this season will be our pace and speed and we lack it I think.  I'd also like to see better fullbacks but I cannot see that changing.

14 hours ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

With the players we have available I think a 3-5-2 type formation would work better.

We just dont have good enough Wingers/Inside forwards for the formation we have been playing.

Full backs were our strengths when they were not required to defend, now we have some decent CDMs its time to let them off the chain.

Also think Candeias would be a really good Defensive Winger, looks strong, likes to cross early, works hard.

Also means there isnt just 1 up front as we are seriously lacking goals.

Anyone any alternates? 

596332ae0bd45.jpg

Waghorn. Really?

I've been calling for this too. We are totally ineffective playing 3 up top, and have been mostly since Warburton took over, even in the championship. Think we definitely need to play more centrally, maybe using Kranjcar's creativity (though I don't expect him to play anywhere near every minute) and hopefully Pena or Dorrans. Having the two up top to play off one another would be better imo, Herrera could act as the target man with Morelos or Miller running on. Tav and whoever out at LB to act as an out ball. Unless we get more wingers in I just don't see that as an option to play with wingers, cause fuck playing Miller or Waghorn out there, plus Dalcio. :whistle:

I think though we do need to be much tougher to break down, this was what made Walter's teams so successful. Loading the central areas will definitely help with that imo. Our midfield three were our weakest area last year, hopefully this year they aren't as exposed physically.

31 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

Waghorn. Really?

Was the players available in the positions. Would never be my choice.

I would rather list Lukaku but we dont have the 85 mil, maybe King can sell a few bottles and we can bid for Costa.

The one think Pedro needs to do is get the side playing for him, we could have the best individual players in the world but if the team won't play for you then you are fucked.

I hate drawing comparisons with them but if you look at the job the  tranny banger at the tims has done with pretty much the same players that deila had it's night and day.

We need a strike partnership, only true partnership we've seen since Weir/Bougherra anywhere on the pitch is McKay and Wallace. Two strikers feeding off each other would ruin a lot of defences in this league.

What we need is our players to believe they are good enough. Nothing has changed in 5 year teams play against us to not loose first and foremost if they get a result by doing this happy days. Our players need to get on the ball in areas that will disrupt the shape and score goals.. Warburton and now  pedro seem to be over complicating the game..

There is no need for the  fancy stuff round the edge of the area looking for one twos in a attempt to get in behind its much easier than that beat your direct opponent Our main strengths IMO are wide yet since warburton took over I haven't seen both full backs get forward and beating a man its always been a run then pass inside or back to get round a player.. same with the wingers.

Its almost as if they are scared to get a whack 

I like the 4-2-3-1 and it's proven to be a success in our league as shown by the Tims last season.  We just need more quality, specifically in the wide areas, to make it work.  If we can't get the wide players we need in I imagine it will be a narrower formation with a reliance on the full-backs to provide the width again :anguish: