Unlikely heroes

When I was younger, like most youngsters I guess, every season I selected my favourite player. Often, it would be someone who was getting stick from others who sat near me. 

Jimmy Nicholl was one, even though he'd joined from Manchester Unitd, a club I detested and still do with a passion. He played in the same position as me and I really identified with him even though there were far more talented and glamorous players alongside him.

Another was Robert Fleck, despite his strike partner being Ally McCoist. I thought at that stage of his career he was a really clever player. No pace, but excellent with his back to goal, bringing players into the game and a decent finisher. A bloke behind me hated him which made me like him more and I was gutted when he left lol.

Anyone else had unusual heroes?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

Don't know if he qualifies however Cludio Reyna was probably my last favorite player (now I love them all equally).

Thought he was fantastic. Seemed to guide over the ground. Was a relatively cheep signing iirc.

I loved Reyna as a player. Very underrated. I admired him at Manchester City too but the crowd there hated him. He was a really effective continuity player. Always available for the ball, never over complicated the game and linked the play very neatly.

Disregarding the antics after his playing days then for me it's John Brown. In the days when Goram, Gough, McCoist and Hateley were grabbing the headlines much of Bomber's performances went unnoticed. Leeds away being a classic example. 

Never capped for Scotland!! Worse still Brian Irvine at Aberdeen was a regular pick in front of him!!