Unlikely heroes

Mo Edu. 

He had spells when the ball just didn't work for him , but what I liked about him was he didn't hide . Attacking or defending he was never far away from the ball and available to help out one of his teammates . 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some Aluko.

More unlikely in the sense that he wasn't exactly a signing which got most fans excited but he proved to be a shrewd signing.

He provided us with some memorable moments and great moments in a dark time for us as fans.

(This is a copy of an old post I did in praise of a Daily Record reporter who in my opinion is possibly our greatest unsung hero, who'd have thought it)

John Fairgrieve. (Deserves a greater note in our clubs history.)

From Willie Mathiesons account on the Sporting Lisbon v Rangers match on our run to success in the European Cup Winners Cup.

Its common knowledge Rangers were knocked out of the competition on penalties in Lisbon when Dutch ref Laurens van Ravens wrongly ordered a shootout after the teams tied 6-6 on aggregate.

However the away-goals rule which had been used in the Cup Winners Cup since 1965 saw Rangers through with a little help from journalist John Fairgrieve.

Mathieson said: Most peoples memory of that game in Portugal are Ronnie McKinnon breaking his leg and the confusion at the end.

I remember it because on the Saturday before wed played Kilmarnock and I got thumped in the ribs. I was in a lot of pain and took an injection before kick-off in Portugal, then another at half-time.

In the second half I was on the same side of the park as the dug-out and the doc was shouting, If you go down, stay down and Ill come on and give you another jag!.

After the game the ref ordered penalties, we missed all of ours and Sporting scored their first three so we were out 3-0.

John Fairgrieve produced the rule book and it showed the game should never have gone to penalties.

Im not sure even Willie Waddell was sure we were through it was the next day back in Glasgow that UEFA ruled that we were through.

If it had not been for his action it is possible @tannerall would not have witnessed the greatest game I ever saw when Rangers defeated the West German nationalteam (disguised as team Bayern Munich) in the cup winner's cup semi.

In more recent times, would any of the bastards from the mhedia, or SPL have helped us in similar fashion ? 

2 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

Loved Kevin Thomson as a player, don't think he was fully appreciated by a lot of fans until after he left.

He was my favourite player at the time. I remember in the 07-08 season the games I managed to attend I spent most of the game just watching him.

He had a great one touch forward pass when receiving it from his left hand side. Normally into Darcheville's feet.

Probably my favourite player of the last 15 or so years.

Gordon Smith, he was the perfect foil for DJ, was fantastic watching those two for the couple of seasons that they played together, most fans go for Hately/McCoist as the best partnership but I always choose DJ/Smith.

I also had a soft spot for big Davie (slim) McPherson, never the most pleasing on the eye but always gave his all, and who could forget Ted McMinn, funny as fuck watching him, worth the entrance fee for the entertainment value alone, but he chipped in with some amazing goals.

But the winner all the time this question gets asked is without a doubt Stuart Munro, never understood why Souness kept trying to replace him when he continued to prove he was the best choice.

12 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Jan Bartram, Jimmy Philips, Colin West, Chris Vinnecombe, Billy Drinkell, Shug Burns, Cammy Fraser...... I could go on, but all the above cost very little, and paid back alot.

Jan Bartram was my favourite player. For a very short period of time, obviously.

And I liked Cammy Fraser when I first started going.

20 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Great player and perhaps the most underrated in our history

Often forgotten in amongst our big signings ,  we could do with him now in our team 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He was my favourite player at the time. I remember in the 07-08 season the games I managed to attend I spent most of the game just watching him.

He had a great one touch forward pass when receiving it from his left hand side. Normally into Darcheville's feet.

Probably my favourite player of the last 15 or so years.

He was very underrated IMO. The likes of Ferguson, Cuellar and Weir took a lot of plaudits that season but he was right up there as well.