Has Murty already failed?

AM1872

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I see a guy that has won 6 out of 10 games with someone else's squad. Played well at times. Changed McCrorie's position to excellent effect. Had the courage to play youngsters. Has a good honest but respectable manner. 

Let's judge him in May. And back him until then. 

Murty will be lucky to be there in January but back to the question, did you see that a change was needed?

5 hours ago, tango said:

Of course pressure and abuse is applied by fans that's the nature of the beast if he can't put out a team or change a formation to win games then he deserves to be criticised he has after all put himself in the firing line by accepting the job till the end of the season .As for the supporters only a fool would give blind loyalty to someone who is not up to the job .

.... and only a crass idiot would look to do that at this point in time. 

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

I don’t think many have abused him, if any.

Plenty don’t think a guy with no managerial experience and 8 losses in 16 games should be out manager. I include myself in that. 

I don’t blame Murty. I’d take the job if I was offered it, but I shouldn’t be and neither should he. 

The person I quoted said they would pipe pressure and abuse on Murty - that’s a real premature judgement. 

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Said it before - Murty is the fall guy for the boards incompetence. We'll all blame him when it's the useless bastards upstairs that have failed us. 

The bigger situation is the Board's fuck up and they are to blame. No doubt. But that doesn't exclude Murty from praise or blame.

He got his rewards and acclaim for the 2 sheep games and rightly so.

But for the general performances, some of the team and substitute selections, and results he deserves criticism.

Especially when his style is quite contrary to that of previous successful Rangers managers. 

If he prefers not to be blunt, direct, authoritarian, demanding and instead prefers to talk up and back underperformers whilst refusing to rollick them following repeated embarrassments,........ well he then deserves all the criticism coming if the failings and defeats continue.

5 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

The bigger situation is the Board's fuck up and they are to blame. No doubt. But that doesn't exclude Murty from praise or blame.

He got his rewards and acclaim for the 2 sheep games and rightly so.

But for the general performances, some of the team and substitute selections, and results he deserves criticism.

Especially when his style is quite contrary to that of previous successful Rangers managers. 

If he prefers not to be blunt, direct, authoritarian, demanding and instead prefers to talk up and back underperformers whilst refusing to rollick them following repeated embarrassments,........ well he then deserves all the criticism coming if the failings and defeats continue.

He will get no new signings in January, has a squad full of injured players - Its unfair to blame him for some results when he has to work with the shite that's left. He isn't beyond criticism but you can't really blame him for inheriting the shite and being asked to win games with them. 

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

He will get no new signings in January, has a squad full of injured players - Its unfair to blame him for some results when he has to work with the shite that's left. He isn't beyond criticism but you can't really blame him for inheriting the shite and being asked to win games with them. 

Can and do. He's the manager, doing it his way.

If we brought in a different manager then we'd expect better results and performances than Murty has brought us. Like Clark has at Killie.

Whoever takes on the job has to take us forward, that's their job, and I'll not be making allowances for getting outplayed and beat by the likes of Kilmarnock and Hamilton.

Murty has an advantage in that he knows well the youths in the development squad. He has those as back up, and a good few in his first team squad he's not given opportunities. He has options, but he's the one who decides on bizarre decisions to play the likes of hodson, Niko Herrera etc.

Our development squad probably earn similar to many of the Kilmarnock players. We should be better and he's now paid to make us better.

So it's definitely not all his fault, but the responsibility is his, the buck stops with him, and he has to find solutions....now, before it costs him his job.

I reckon he was honoured - and possibly surprised - to be asked to step into the breach in the immediate aftermath of the Warbuton, Weir (and who was the other useless big-reputation guy?) defections.    I reckon most of the Support cut him a fair bit of slack when he answered the call and did his best.    Hit the repeat button on the sudden sacking of Pedro but.....and its an important 'but' imo.......he then makes it clear he's thrown his hat into the ring for the manager job on a permanent basis.   In doing that he's clearly convinced himself he has enough credentials, practical experience, know-how, and nous to succeed as a first team manager of a very big British football club.    And what do you know, after months of a supposedly intensive recruitment campaign no one else is found and he is given the job until the end of the season with the subsequent declaration from the DOF that he is in pole position to land the job for next season onwards.

Seems the club conveniently placed a decisive and overwhelming value on Murty's desire and enthusiasm and the fact that he was already at Ibrox.

But when any company appoints a non-manager into a most (in this case the most) vital operational role which is the key influencer on success or failure for the company, someone with no track record of delivering at that level, with no credible relevant experience, with no practical insights into how to overcome adversity when results are not going well and so on then unless you really get very very lucky you gets what you pays for.  And it isn't success.      It just now waits to unravel over the next 5 months (or maybe a lot less).

The other thing here is having allegedly cast a wide net over a long period time to try to land a proper, seasoned, experienced, patently appropriate football manager.......and failed....and then just shrugged shoulders and appointed a rookie in-house interim then when you do go back to the market don't expect to be taken all that seriously by proper managers.   In the same way recruiters and employers don't like time waster applications for jobs then at that level skilled, experienced professional football managers and their agents won't much like having their time wasted by a time-wasting Club.   The reputation damage to the Club is done.  The only question is how much damage and can it be recovered.    We're not the attraction we used to be.  That is plain - absolutely plain - in the appointment of a non-manager after months of trawling the market.

We will get what King has been prepared to pay for.  No more and very probably a lot less because a non-manager, however well intentioned and however full of desire he may be, just does not have it in the experience locker to do a proper manager job at Rangers.   

He will need every good bit of luck that is going. 

He had failed before he started. He’s a youth coach in a job that’s above him.

I’ll be surprised if he lasts the season.

Steve McClaren just left his current job and was said to be Allen’s choice, many that were against him are probably more open to the idea now.

On 27/12/2017 at 13:48, Bad Robot said:

Murty will be lucky to be there in January but back to the question, did you see that a change was needed?

Kilmarnock out fought/performed us, especially in 2nd half. But what does he do? Shore up to hold 1-0 or push on for 2nd? Pena probably best option on the bench but GM doesn't seem to fancy him at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Steve McClaren just left his current job and was said to be Allen’s choice, many that were against him are probably more open to the idea now.

He has won 7 from 11 games. Most seasons that is title form, albeit a few draws in the other 4 wouldn't have gone a miss. 

26 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Yes so no compo

53 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Steve McLaren would have the best CV in Scotland for crying out loud. Folk turning their noses up at him are crazy, as if we can do better. We've ended up with an absolutely dreadful youth coach in our dug out. 

4 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Steve McLaren would have the best CV in Scotland for crying out loud. Folk turning their noses up at him are crazy, as if we can do better. We've ended up with an absolutely dreadful youth coach in our dug out. 

Trouble is the position isn't just about picking a team, tactics and coaching ( supposedly Murty's strong points....it's much more multi-faceted than that...you are the face of the club, recruitment, link to board, primary PR face, influence over direction of the club, in charge discipline.....you are No1 employee

Not for the inexperienced or feint-hearted...Souness managed it but he was world-class player that was media savvy and played in the top league in the world.

4 minutes ago, BlueSnowGoose said:

Trouble is the position isn't just about picking a team, tactics and coaching ( supposedly Murty's strong points....it's much more multi-faceted than that...you are the face of the club, recruitment, link to board, primary PR face, influence over direction of the club, in charge discipline.....you are No1 employee

Not for the inexperienced or feint-hearted...Souness managed it but he was world-class player that was media savvy and played in the top league in the world.

McCoist was an understandable gamble. After that absolute shambles this club needed a very steady and experienced hand. We still haven't had that. 4 managers and 3 years later. I long for the day this club appoints a man of stature and experience we can universally support.