Billy Gilmour - Living the dream

falkirkNS

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Billy is EASILY the most talented player I've seen at that age. Kid can go as far as he wants in football. I'd watch him get thumped by boys (and men) much bigger than him and he'd simply get up, dust himself off and get back to playing. No bitching and whining, no running to the ref. Just got on with it. His weight and range of passing for a kid who was 15 at the time would put some pf the highly paid stars in this (and previous) Rangers teams to shame. His awareness of what's going on round about him is really good to. Assuming he keeps his head screwed on - and tbh I don't doubt for a second he will - then I genuinely believe he can go and be one of the best players Rangers or Scotland have ever produced.

Rangers produced and nurtured him since the age of 7 or 8 for no gain if an EPL club can swipe our most talented kid for two weeks of Eden Hazards wages just what is the point of it?

I wish him well but he is going to need some massive fortune to reach a Chelsea first team whose last kid to make the breakthrough was John Terry (who they poached from WHU) since then they have signed 100's of Billy Gilmours and spat them all out the other end with none making it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

He's not a Rangers player anymore so why should I be a fan and what pressure was on Gilmour? don't get wrong I'm not a massive fan of Bates but he does the basics well and credit where it's due he was outanding in what's far from an easy situation being thrown into an old firm game at the piggery

There wasn't any YET. It would of came though, we do it with every decent prospect. Big them up massively then tear them to shreds when they make a mistake.

As for doing the basics well, I'm glad. It's the basics we have been lacking in so hopefully we build a foundation on the basics during the break.

1 minute ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

There wasn't any YET. It would of came though, we do it with every decent prospect. Big them up massively then tear them to shreds when they make a mistake.

As for doing the basics well, I'm glad. It's the basics we have been lacking in so hopefully we build a foundation on the basics during the break.

Like to think if they're good enough they'll thrive under pressure look at Ferguson played like a seasoned pro from the moment he made his debut

10 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Rangers produced and nurtured him since the age of 7 or 8 for no gain if an EPL club can swipe our most talented kid for two weeks of Eden Hazards wages just what is the point of it?

I wish him well but he is going to need some massive fortune to reach a Chelsea first team whose last kid to make the breakthrough was John Terry (who they poached from WHU) since then they have signed 100's of Billy Gilmours and spat them all out the other end with none making it.

It's frustrating but it's the reality of where we are as a club mate

2 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Like we've spent years doing to clubs smaller than us? It's the nature of football unfortunately. Every kid needs a huge dose of luck to make it but I can't blame the boy for wanting to give himself every chance by going to work with far superior coaching staff than we have here.

4 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Like to think if they're good enough they'll thrive under pressure look at Ferguson played like a seasoned pro from the moment he made his debut

Social media etc was nowhere near as prominent then. Iv seen fans tweeting players telling them they are shite etc. You need to have a heart of stone not to let that get to you in any way

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Like we've spent years doing to clubs smaller than us? It's the nature of football unfortunately. Every kid needs a huge dose of luck to make it but I can't blame the boy for wanting to give himself every chance by going to work with far superior coaching staff than we have here.

Was saying this to my mate yesterday. I genuinely think if Scottish football is to improve Rangers and celtic should be limited in how many domestic transfers they can make in a season or at the very least for the January window. Any players or teams doing well in Scotland have had their squads plundered by the old firm so they pose no opposition

2 minutes ago, Hamie said:

If in the 3rd division we had developed a name as a club who brought through and developed young talent then we probably would have kept young gilmour 

Mccoist made sure that didn't happen 

Other than the 20 or so boys McCoist played you mean? Almost all of whom were fucking gash.

Ross Perry, Chris Hegarty, Andy Mitchell, Kal Naismith, Kyle Hutton, Robbie Crawford, Lewis Macleod, Barrie McKay, Gregg Wylde, Rhys McCabe, Scott Gallacher, Calum Gallagher, Kyle McAusland, Jamie Ness, Kane Hemmings, Thomas Bendiksen, Darren Cole, Luca Gasparotto, Jordan McMIllan, Charlie Telfer, Dany Stoney, Ryan Hardie, Tom Walsh

Every one of them played first team football under McCoist. How many were good enough?

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Billy is EASILY the most talented player I've seen at that age. Kid can go as far as he wants in football. I'd watch him get thumped by boys (and men) much bigger than him and he'd simply get up, dust himself off and get back to playing. No bitching and whining, no running to the ref. Just got on with it. His weight and range of passing for a kid who was 15 at the time would put some pf the highly paid stars in this (and previous) Rangers teams to shame. His awareness of what's going on round about him is really good to. Assuming he keeps his head screwed on - and tbh I don't doubt for a second he will - then I genuinely believe he can go and be one of the best players Rangers or Scotland have ever produced.

I obviously haven't seen as much of him as yourself but from what i have seen i have been veey impressed, like a proper old school young Scottish lad who is made of the right stuff and knows it but at the same time not a cocky wee cunt and very level headed.

Gallus was the word used for James McFadden when he broke through.

He has outstanding ability, it's just a shame he didn't want to stay and develop here, but seeing the Chelsea set up it's easy to see why he would want to go and try his luck.

Not sure our set up compares but the vibe i am getting is that Craig Mulholland and his team are definately putting us on the right track.

39 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Other than the 20 or so boys McCoist played you mean? Almost all of whom were fucking gash.

Ross Perry, Chris Hegarty, Andy Mitchell, Kal Naismith, Kyle Hutton, Robbie Crawford, Lewis Macleod, Barrie McKay, Gregg Wylde, Rhys McCabe, Scott Gallacher, Calum Gallagher, Kyle McAusland, Jamie Ness, Kane Hemmings, Thomas Bendiksen, Darren Cole, Luca Gasparotto, Jordan McMIllan, Charlie Telfer, Dany Stoney, Ryan Hardie, Tom Walsh

Every one of them played first team football under McCoist. How many were good enough?

More forced than actually trusting them. His signing policy showed that. How many players did mccoist sign under the age of 21 that went straight into the first team? 

It's a difficult one. 

The goldfish bowl isn't some mythical metaphor. I've been swimming around it all my life and I have no desire to ever come out. For myself it's only ever been Rangers and what's going on in our own backyard. The rest can batter on! 

I would imagine most posters on here are similar, we are for the most part season ticket holder's some will be 2nd/3rd generation and will have grown up at Ibrox quite literally. 

My point is its very difficult for us to contemplate life outwith Rangers at times. A young footballers perspective and plan for his career is a very different world from the one we live in. 

A footballers career is very short, and how many footballers will have the chance to go test themselves at Chelsea? 

I wish him all the luck in the world but I'm not going to watch out for him or look for results, I'm to busy following the famous, life on planet Rangers goes on. 

For what its worth he left at possibly the worst time in recent history, I can't remember another time when so many young boys have gotten a crack at the first team, and done so well... He would have been right in the mix. 

Really cant blame the lad gettimg the move for money but I cant see him amounting to anything.

He was pretty close to our first team and I'd imagine he would have featured at least once by now if he stayed. There is no doubt his career as a footballer would have been developed far better here........a choice between first team football at a massive club with 50000 fans or a club who are subsidised by Sky and a russian billionairre while playing youth football, I know which is better and its not on a park with other kids playing in front of 20 people.

9 minutes ago, Hamie said:

More forced than actually trusting them. His signing policy showed that. How many players did mccoist sign under the age of 21 that went straight into the first team? 

How many were good enough and we wouldn't be robbed blind to sign them? 

2 minutes ago, Camshy said:

Really cant blame the lad gettimg the move for money but I cant see him amounting to anything.

He was pretty close to our first team and I'd imagine he would have featured at least once by now if he stayed. There is no doubt his career as a footballer would have been developed far better here........a choice between first team football at a massive club with 50000 fans or a club who are subsidised by Sky and a russian billionairre while playing youth football, I know which is better and its not on a park with other kids playing in front of 20 people.

Again, he was offered very similar terms by Rangers. Money played almost no part in it. I was told by a senior staff member at Rangers we had "practically matched" Chelsea's offer.