Tav

Lloyd

19 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Agree with all of that except the Hutton bit. For a year with us Hutton was astronomic. If you think they're comparable you're forgetting how good Hutton was during that period, for us in the league and Europe and for Scotland against some top class teams.

Tav is a right good player though. Should be 4 million ballpark IMO. 

My point is that Hutton was so astronomic because he had a far better standard of player around him.

Tav is one of the few real footballers we have in our team. If you put him in that team, I honestly think he would have been a star.

Hutton was more powerful than Tav, but Tav has a better touch and a far better delivery of the ball.

Don't forget, we sold Hutton for £9m when £9m was allot of money for an epl team to spend.

We now live in a world where Troy Deeney is getting valued at £25m between relegation fighters.

People valuing Tav at around a million quid are doing him and us a massive disservice.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

My point is that Hutton was so astronomic because he had a far better standard of player around him.

Tav is one of the few real footballers we have in our team. If you put him in that team, I honestly think he would have been a star.

Hutton was more powerful than Tav, but Tav has a better touch and a far better delivery of the ball.

Don't forget, we sold Hutton for £9m when £9m was allot of money for an epl team to spend.

We now live in a world where Troy Deeney is getting valued at £25m between relegation fighters.

People valuing Tav at around a million quid are doing him and us a massive disservice.

I agree with this. As soon as a player leaves us his value appears to rocket - that needs to change and if we dont get the right deal then we dont sell

2 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Players worth is down to 2 things:

1. Does the selling club need the money?

2. How long is left on the players contract.

Of course there are other considerations, but it boils down to that.

Quality of the player does count a bit to.

1 minute ago, Big Al II said:

Players worth is down to 2 things:

1. Does the selling club need the money?

2. How long is left on the players contract.

Of course there are other considerations, but it boils down to that.

Manchester City will make a decision over next few days whether to bid for Alexis Sanchez as Pep Guardiola eyes four transfers this month.

City are likely to test the water with a £25million bid but could go up as far as £35m, with Sanchez's contract at Arsenal set to run out in six months' time.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-5234793/Manchester-City-bid-25m-Arsenals-Alexis-Sanchez.html#ixzz53DLHeegq 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

17 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I wouldn’t rule out Conor McGlaughlin at Millwall.

Quite an attack minded right back, first choice right back for Northern Ireland now and recently lost his place in the Millwall team and with most teams at the lower end of the Championship having tight budgets they might be somebody they are happy to move on for the right price or to get them off the wage bill.

It’s an easy link to make but with Nicholl coming in he might be a player that he recommends as an affordable replacement for Tav.

Good shout. I’ve not really seen him play apart from a few NI highlights. 

Crucial to replace him with right player as so much of our attacking play goes through him. 

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Manchester City will make a decision over next few days whether to bid for Alexis Sanchez as Pep Guardiola eyes four transfers this month.

City are likely to test the water with a £25million bid but could go up as far as £35m, with Sanchez's contract at Arsenal set to run out in six months' time.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-5234793/Manchester-City-bid-25m-Arsenals-Alexis-Sanchez.html#ixzz53DLHeegq 

Yep...how much would he be worth if he had 3 years to run? £125m?

11 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Yep...how much would he be worth if he had 3 years to run? £125m?

At 29, I doubt as high as that.

Say it was that though, he would be going for a quarter of his value, with just 6 months left to run.

People are suggesting selling Tav for around the £1m mark when he has 18 months left on his contract.

29 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

30-35 million is nothing to a team spending double that on right backs. For example City could get Sanchez for what they sold Iheanacho and Ennes Unual for and still have a few million change..... Let that sink in

That fee ensures they get him over anyone else who in 6 months time offer him a contract which would be a shoot out to who can offer more in wages, signing on fee and bonuses.

52 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

30-35 million is nothing to a team spending double that on right backs. For example City could get Sanchez for what they sold Iheanacho and Ennes Unual for and still have a few million change..... Let that sink in

That fee ensures they get him over anyone else who in 6 months time offer him a contract which would be a shoot out to who can offer more in wages, signing on fee and bonuses.

Which is my point.....

We are talking about selling one of our best players for a pittance into the league set up that are paying crazy money for players.

Can anyone remember the right-back we were supposedly after before we got Tav?

Edit: Reece Wabara was his name. Released by Bolton in May 2017 so maybe he is pish. Didn't know he was Mark Walters' nephew.

2 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Hutton was a better player. Nothing to do with who was around him, he was simply better. Better around player against better opposition. His delivery was good as well btw. Can think of several big goals coming from his crosses. 

Doesn't matter who's around him, Tavernier will never be tearing up Italy, France, Stuttgart, Lyon and Ukraine the way Hutton did.

Still a good player, just not as good as Hutton was at that particular time.

9 hours ago, DBBTB said:

I wouldn’t rule out Conor McGlaughlin at Millwall.

Quite an attack minded right back, first choice right back for Northern Ireland now and recently lost his place in the Millwall team and with most teams at the lower end of the Championship having tight budgets they might be somebody they are happy to move on for the right price or to get them off the wage bill.

It’s an easy link to make but with Nicholl coming in he might be a player that he recommends as an affordable replacement for Tav.

No no no no no no no!!!! Declan, Michael, Murphy (I know he’s one of us but c’mon), Daniel, Sean and you want a Conor?! What next a Brendan? We even have an Aiden FFS!

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Inigo said:

Agree with all of that except the Hutton bit. For a year with us Hutton was astronomic. If you think they're comparable you're forgetting how good Hutton was during that period, for us in the league and Europe and for Scotland against some top class teams.

Tav is a right good player though. Should be 4 million ballpark IMO. 

Yep people forget that Hutton was at Rangers 2002-2008 and had one outstanding season, the rest of the time he was a major target for the boo boys.  

Agree with your Tav comments, even going to a Championship club we should be looking for a minimum of 3 million.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2018 at 12:52, cushynumber said:

Aside from who we bring in, one of our top priorities should be hanging on to James Tavernier

This.

Tavs is a real asset.

Get the defending sorted out at a team level, keep McCroie as the defensive midfielder. learn to dominate the middle of the park, and there will be no need to point fingers at Tavs when we lose goals.

He is an attacking fullback, but he also needs to play in a side that is used to his movement and has a settled way of playing that defends together as a unit.

Too often we have had a back four isolated from the midfield and too often it is the defence that has taken all of the blame for our defensive errors, whilst the midfield area has been overrun by average teams.

On 13 January 2018 at 14:21, DBBTB said:

Watched the Sunderland Cardiff game today. Tav is mental if he really wants to leave us and go there. One of the only clubs in britian who are more of a shambles than we are at the moment :lol:

Money talks tho,that's pretty much all the majority of players care about nowadays 

2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

With Martin signing on Tuesday, think that Tav will be out the door very shortly after. He's got to go this window or we will lose a lot of money on him.

I think tav stays if the team shapes up well from now on in

Archived