Murty - defend the lead

KeyserSoze

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

It’s a risky strategy and ok the game was never going to be lost but you saw how a dodgy penalty and perhaps a wee fluke and it could have been different. 

I’ve als seen us draw games we should have won - because we chased more from a game - nothing wrong with a bit of pragmatism

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goss looked very good first half, but was running on quicksand in the 2nd.There is a very good player there, not difficult to see why Man Utd saw fit to put an option to buy back in his contract.. just in case he realises his potential. Best corners taken by a Gers player in years.

As for bringing a fresh,  talented striker on to run at a tired defence.. Well its fucking crazy, but it might just work. 

9 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I'm instantly reminded of the 5-1 pumping we took off celtic while Warburton was here.  At 3-1 we could've sat back and went for damage limitation but Warburton went for it.  He was heavily criticised afterwards. 

There was also the exuberant hivs final when the bread man subbed Waghorn for Clark on 75 while we were sitting 2-1 up. To me we should have swapped a striker for another midfielder and ground out the result especially in a cup final.

Sometimes these tactics can work for you and sometimes not and grinding out results isnt pleasant viewing but magic when the whistle blows and you’ve achieved the objective ?? 

14 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

There was also the exuberant hivs final when the bread man subbed Waghorn for Clark on 75 while we were sitting 2-1 up. To me we should have swapped a striker for another midfielder and ground out the result especially in a cup final.

Sometimes these tactics can work for you and sometimes not and grinding out results isnt pleasant viewing but magic when the whistle blows and you’ve achieved the objective ?? 

That must have been the worst substitution in our history

I just remember Clark strolling around like he was on the beach 

I absolutely hated the guy that day . 

2 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

That must have been the worst substitution in our history

I just remember Clark strolling around like he was on the beach 

I absolutely hated the guy that day . 

Typical MW with his single minded approach and I’m sure it was Clark who lost the ball and gave them a shy at their goal and they broke from there and scored. I was really gutted as it would have gave us Europe.

23 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Tbf we had fuck all on the bench and had all ready made at least one sub

2 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Typical MW with his single minded approach and I’m sure it was Clark who lost the ball and gave them a shy at their goal and they broke from there and scored. I was really gutted as it would have gave us Europe.

He did something similar moments before    this one mate 

I thought he cost us the game tbh

Waghirn was dead on his feet but he kept Hivs man over on that side looking after him 

As soon as Clark cane on ..We got overrun in midfield as he was not up for it 

Despised our Manager and Clark after the game for one of the most gutting losses of my life watching Gers 

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

He did something similar moments before    this one mate 

I thought he cost us the game tbh

Waghirn was dead on his feet but he kept Hivs man over on that side looking after him 

As soon as Clark cane on ..We got overrun in midfield as he was not up for it 

Despised our Manager and Clark after the game for one of the most gutting losses of my life watching Gers 

I can’t despise Clark as players are players but after our managers fkd up escape plan    that game really annoys me even more. 

4 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I don’t disagree with you but we never had a wide variety of choice, Burt and Law, who never really had a bad season that year

I think Law should have been brought on and I know some slag him for being the invisible man but I’m sure he would have got on the ball with 15 to go.

8 hours ago, Smile said:

What a daft post ask Walter only a halfwit would equate Murty with Walter Smith.

Only a shitebag would call people names online cos they didn't agree with something .

Explain your pish then .. Walter as manager parked the bus when necessary.. held onto leads when required . Threw defenders on with 10 minutes to go to secure 3 points ...stop me when I'm wrong .

I'm no saying they are equal in stature fur fuck sake im saying tactically murty got it spot on and did what Walter used to do. 

Clear enough . ??? 

5 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

2-0 up with 10mins to go, you close the game down take the 3 points and go home happy. 

Would folk rather we went looking for a third and blow a 2 goal lead. 

We did blow a two goal lead by doing the opposite and not looking for a third

The problem is HOW he chose to close the game down. Surely you do this by controlling the game more. Keep the ball, short passes, wide areas etc. 

Murty (two games now) chose to tell the team to sit in with 15 to go. Bringing on Halliday to have a sitting midfielder to try and shore things up. This tactic invited both the sheep and county to have a go. I think it’s a risky naive tactic that will trip is up. 

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The problem is HOW he chose to close the game down. Surely you do this by controlling the game more. Keep the ball, short passes, wide areas etc. 

Murty (two games now) chose to tell the team to sit in with 15 to go. Bringing on Halliday to have a sitting midfielder to try and shore things up. This tactic invited both the sheep and county to have a go. I think it’s a risky naive tactic that will trip is up. 

You do realise he bought Halliday on because Candeias had a knock and there were 5 minutes left of normal time. Your entire premise is based on something that didnt actually happen as you describe. 

Its only the second game in for this group and some have had very little game time so will take time to get fully up to speed. Until the dubious penalty they didnt look like scoring at all.

57 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

How did we blow a 2 goal lead and win 2-1. 

4 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

The trouble with MW was that we could be 5-0 up or 1-0 down and he would stick to a 4-3-3... 

The only reason we looked to be holding on was due to lack of finishing and 1-2 good saves from county’s keeper.  It looks to me that we as a team decide on how tough or easy a match is going to be.  There’s been plenty squads throughout this clubs history that have 1 week scored 4 and the next been gritty in a 1-0 win or 2-1 wins.  Lots of Walters games were won 2-1 by going 2 up then sitting back.   It’s frustrating but it’s also another away win 8 matching last years total and another 3 points.  The positives of getting in good scoring positions outweigh the negative of sitting back and soaking up pressure.

I don’t think we can be too harsh on the subs as if jack or mcrorie are fit then they’re on before Halliday, you could say it was down to a lack of options.