Of all the signings !

Camshy

The only argument for us not spending the rumoured 20M on an average of 10 in for 2M is that we don't want to waste money again if it goes wrong

Is that any better than filling the squad with league 1/bottom end championship standard loans, average free's and two CB's plus whoever else we bring in?

That leaves you in a positon where Gerrard will more than likely fail, his staff will need paid off, Pena could be back for all we know and then we need to replace the loans with players PLUS fix the squad arguably more than we ever have had to before

That's far more of a risk than being ambitious IMO, if your first thought when spending money is that it could go wrong and it's better to scout Brandon Barker then you're being run poorly over simply being sensible with your money

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Why though should that type of budget not happen? Not one person has ever gave me a good reason (not one) as to why we can’t have a budget like that 

if there’s a good reason why we don’t have that sort of implied money, what’s the point in going down the same route year after year signing frees, loans and a 5 million spent for a total rebuild job - it won’t get us anywhere so why not wait a couple of years and stockpile the cash instead of buying constant cheapies and sub standard gambles?

buy cheap but twice - our transfer strategy is barking ... there’s about 6 weeks to turn it around and convince me otherwise 

Because much of our revenue goes to bills, salaries, etc including dozens of players who contribute zero.

We don't have investors lined up, our share issue hasn't come to fruition yet, no money from merchandise sales.

That's why the money isn't there. Whether the above should have been sorted by now is entirely up for discussion. But it hasn't.

But budget isn't everything, it let's you buy now. But a 5m player is still a 5m freebie if his contract runs down and you get him for nothing. They're few and far between though, then there's the wage structure issue and enticing a top player to a club that's finished 3rd amongst shite and never mind the CL mightnt even make the Europa groups.

It's tough getting affordable quality that will come. Just spending money doesn't guarantee it, it just offers more options. We don't have the money for those options as discussed above so need to improve on the cheap whilst making good money off sales. The scum are taking in another 6m for Armstrong due to his scum, Scotland and CL performances. We need to market players better and sell when the iron is hot.

More of our shite will be out of contract next summer which will help in freeing up more funds. Waiting til then or a couple of years isn't an option though SG would be sacked by then too and then circus would just move on to the next ringmaster.

10 minutes ago, TheGovanIniesta said:

The only argument for us not spending the rumoured 20M on an average of 10 in for 2M is that we don't want to waste money again if it goes wrong

Is that any better than filling the squad with league 1/bottom end championship standard loans, average free's and two CB's plus whoever else we bring in?

That leaves you in a positon where Gerrard will more than likely fail, his staff will need paid off, Pena could be back for all we know and then we need to replace the loans with players PLUS fix the squad arguably more than we ever have had to before

That's far more of a risk than being ambitious IMO, if your first thought when spending money is that it could go wrong and it's better to scout Brandon Barker then you're being run poorly over simply being sensible with your money

20m rumoured by internet posters who base it on an assumption Gerrard wouldn't come here otherwise.

If the money isn't there, and it likely isn't, then it's futile discussing how it's best spent.

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Because much of our revenue goes to bills, salaries, etc including dozens of players who contribute zero.

We don't have investors lined up, our share issue hasn't come to fruition yet, no money from merchandise sales.

That's why the money isn't there. Whether the above should have been sorted by now is entirely up for discussion. But it hasn't.

But budget isn't everything, it let's you buy now. But a 5m player is still a 5m freebie if his contract runs down and you get him for nothing. They're few and far between though, then there's the wage structure issue and enticing a top player to a club that's finished 3rd amongst shite and never mind the CL mightnt even make the Europa groups.

It's tough getting affordable quality that will come. Just spending money doesn't guarantee it, it just offers more options. We don't have the money for those options as discussed above so need to improve on the cheap whilst making good money off sales. The scum are taking in another 6m for Armstrong due to his scum, Scotland and CL performances. We need to market players better and sell when the iron is hot.

More of our shite will be out of contract next summer which will help in freeing up more funds. Waiting til then or a couple of years isn't an option though SG would be sacked by then too and then circus would just move on to the next ringmaster.

All you are doing is telling me why it won’t happen but it’s not a good enough reason to me - we have unambitious amateur’s making the decisions at our club - Robertson, King and Mark Allen who never learn from their mistakes and keep on thinking that doing the same thing all the time has to pay off once - as I said our footballing/transfer strategies are barking 

I maintain there’s not one good reason why we can’t have a 20 million budget with record season ticket sales, a 6 million share issue and even topping it up by selling Tav and Morelos and Fod and Windass but there’s no desire to do so therefore rinse and repeat - different transfer window, same shite 

6 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

20m rumoured by internet posters who base it on an assumption Gerrard wouldn't come here otherwise.

If the money isn't there, and it likely isn't, then it's futile discussing how it's best spent.

I said it was nonsense but basically everyone who's ever had a connection near the club ran with it and the club I feel did during ST sales time.

For the record I don't expect us to buy 10 at 2M but that's the sort of numbers you expect when 20M is rumoured, considering in amongst that will be free's and loans.

If the money isn't there is it really wise to be spending 5M on two CB's when we needed 4 of them and 3 strikers before we strengthened first team fully after that anyway, I believe the money is there though and the board still lack serious ambition and any willingness to seriously dip into their own pockets and make a difference.

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Goldson, Katic, Mcgregor and Arfield has a buzz about it purely on football ability and potential I think.

Flannigan, Ojaria and Sadiq are underwhelming. 

We need another 3 in the top category for me to be satisfied. 

I think Tav, Morelos, McCrorie and Rossiter will be the sole First XI survivors so we need players that’ll start

Flannigan might not have a fancy name, or reputation, but, he is a very good player. I think we have ourselves a standout player on our books.

All you are doing is telling me why it won’t happen but it’s not a good enough reason to me - we have unambitious amateur’s making the decisions at our club - Robertson, King and Mark Allen who never learn from their mistakes and keep on thinking that doing the same thing all the time has to pay off once - as I said our footballing/transfer strategies are barking 

I maintain there’s not one good reason why we can’t have a 20 million budget with record season ticket sales, a 6 million share issue and even topping it up by selling Tav and Morelos and Fod and Windass but there’s no desire to do so therefore rinse and repeat - different transfer window, same shite 

Sales are the way to go, I've said that above. Sell and reinvest. It may well happen but it'll help when folk accept we need to be a selling club and don't then blame the Board or manager for selling our best assets.  No issues selling any of those you mention. 

The share money isn't there yet. The merchandise money isn't there yet. But if SG did nothing to develop the squad then he'd rightly get sacked. He can only piss with the cock he has and unfortunately right now the money just isn't there, not even from pending ST money which in many cases comes in over 4 months.

Patience is needed I'm afraid and this season isn't and wasn't ever going to be a souness revolution type some expected.

2 hours ago, gersandy said:

I’m cynical, because I year ago I thought:

Dorrans: good premier league experience, will add quality to the middle of the park.

Alves: quality center back who’ll add steel to the center defence.

Pena & Hererra: Mexican internationals, must be decent enough.

The proof is in the pudding. 

:thumbup:

I really hope the good things we are reading about Stevie G and his new ideas works and the players he has so far brought in do well, but I have been let down too often in the last few years and so will wait until we play a few games before getting carried away.

Sales are the way to go, I've said that above. Sell and reinvest. It may well happen but it'll help when folk accept we need to be a selling club and don't then blame the Board or manager for selling our best assets.  No issues selling any of those you mention. 

The share money isn't there yet. The merchandise money isn't there yet. But if SG did nothing to develop the squad then he'd rightly get sacked. He can only piss with the cock he has and unfortunately right now the money just isn't there, not even from pending ST money which in many cases comes in over 4 months.

Patience is needed I'm afraid and this season isn't and wasn't ever going to be a souness revolution type some expected.

The share money is in the bag - transfers aren’t paid up in full time of purchase anyway 

we’ve been patient but we still have substandard policies in place and make the same mistakes - let’s be honest If the window slams shut tomorrow, we’ve no chance - we might have a better defence (and then again we might not) but we need a marquee striker, another one on top of that and 2 top class midfielders 

if we are in negotiations or looking for them guys then I’ll stand corrected when they sign but right now I’m quite underwhelmed and I’ve still not got 1 good reason why we don’t appear to have a proper transfer budget to compete yet 

people don’t understand that unless we spend this money, we won’t win the league and get into the CL again, we have to spend it at some point - why not now and save years of misery?

Really happy with Goldson, McGregor and Arfield. Also Flannigan in the sense that we need fullback cover and I think he's good cover.

Optimistic about Katic, happy with Murphy coming back

Sadiq will be a decent signing I think as a 2nd option

Ejaria has me least excited but I think he may be better than he showed at Sunderland.

I'll be a lot more confident if we add some more forward quality. 

16 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

The share money is in the bag - transfers aren’t paid up in full time of purchase anyway 

we’ve been patient but we still have substandard policies in place and make the same mistakes - let’s be honest If the window slams shut tomorrow, we’ve no chance - we might have a better defence (and then again we might not) but we need a marquee striker, another one on top of that and 2 top class midfielders 

if we are in negotiations or looking for them guys then I’ll stand corrected when they sign but right now I’m quite underwhelmed and I’ve still not got 1 good reason why we don’t appear to have a proper transfer budget to compete yet 

people don’t understand that unless we spend this money, we won’t win the league and get into the CL again, we have to spend it at some point - why not now and save years of misery?

Share money isn't in the bank though.

Yes transfers ARE paid like depreciation. Hence the problem is the existing contracts of shite players who offer nothing but not only take a wage but we're still paying at transfer fees too ie Pena.

You've not been patient 're the current manager. Should players he might want to build a team around be sold prior to his arrival to raise him a transfer fee?

Should he not get the chance to see in preseason those who meet his requirements and those he feels he'd do better selling and replacing? 

Fans who watch us every game differ on how great or shite players like Windass and Tav are.  So where's the patience in allowing Gerrard to assess too?

And let's not say the window shuts tomorrow because it doesn't. Patience ?.

You do have reasons why we don't have a proper transfer budget, you're just not willing to accept them. 

Share money isn't in the bank though.

No transfers are paid like depreciation. Hence the problem is the existing contracts of shite players who offer nothing but not only take a wage but we're still paying at transfer fees too ie Pena.

You've not been patient 're the current manager. Should players he might want to build a team around be sold prior to his arrival to raise him a transfer fee?

Should he not get the chance to see in preseason those who meet his requirements and those he feels he'd do better selling and replacing? 

Fans who watch us every game differ on how great or shite players like Windass and Tav are.  So where's the patience in allowing Gerrard to assess too?

And let's not say the window shuts tomorrow because it doesn't. Patience ?.

You do have reasons why we don't have a proper transfer budget, you're just not willing to accept them. 

The share money is in the bank though the uptake will be there mugs like club1872 literally have more than 1/6 of the total that will be raised 

what do you mean transfers are paid in depreciation? That makes no sense to any of my points - I’m saying anyone we buy we don’t pay upfront in full so that would allow time to get the season ticket money and share revenue in - mind we’ve also got that 3 million credit facility too the board wanks were making a big deal about 

the bit about the transfer window shutting tomorrow you’ve took totally out of context - I said it in hypothetical terms and also made the point there’s something like 6 weeks left for stuff to happen and change my mind 

the stuff about Gerrard, his team, seeing what he can work with, allowing Gerrard to assess just comes down to whatever optimism levels you have - I’m not overly optimistic so far - you seem to be, you seem to think it’s been a fine window going on your excuse making for lack of appropriate spend - fill your boots if that makes you happy but as it stands we won’t win this league - I’ve no idea how anyone can take exception to that 

The share money is in the bank though the uptake will be there mugs like club1872 literally have more than 1/6 of the total that will be raised 

what do you mean transfers are paid in depreciation? That makes no sense to any of my points - I’m saying anyone we buy we don’t pay upfront in full so that would allow time to get the season ticket money and share revenue in - mind we’ve also got that 3 million credit facility too the board wanks were making a big deal about 

the bit about the transfer window shutting tomorrow you’ve took totally out of context - I said it in hypothetical terms and also made the point there’s something like 6 weeks left for stuff to happen and change my mind 

the stuff about Gerrard, his team, seeing what he can work with, allowing Gerrard to assess just comes down to whatever optimism levels you have - I’m not overly optimistic so far - you seem to be, you seem to think it’s been a fine window going on your excuse making for lack of appropriate spend - fill your boots if that makes you happy but as it stands we won’t win this league - I’ve no idea how anyone can take exception to that 

Mate I'm rationalizing it not agreeing with it.

The share money is not in the bank. Fact.

The depreciation aspect is a factor as we'll still be paying transfer fee instalments from all the last few seasons where a fee was involved. Unless it was upfront which would be unlikely.

I would say I'm more realistic th an optimistic. The optimists were imo the delusional ones who expected 20m transfer fees, a revolution, winning league etc. I expect strong development and progress but have said repeatedly I'll likely have more patience than others as I expect it'll take longer than most think.

And I think the keeper and CH position have strengthened, plus Flanagan improves that. I'm pretty sure you had a similar view so we've both filled our boots. Not once have I said the signings are great or better than I'd hoped. But they are in line with what I realistically expected.

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Mate I'm rationalizing it not agreeing with it.

The share money is not in the bank. Fact.

The depreciation aspect is a factor as we'll still be paying transfer fee instalments from all the last few seasons where a fee was involved. Unless it was upfront which would be unlikely.

I would say I'm more realistic th an optimistic. The optimists were imo the delusional ones who expected 20m transfer fees, a revolution, winning league etc. I expect strong development and progress but have said repeatedly I'll likely have more patience than others as I expect it'll take longer than most think.

And I think the keeper and CH position have strengthened, plus Flanagan improves that. I'm pretty sure you had a similar view so we've both filled our boots. Not once have I said the signings are great or better than I'd hoped. But they are in line with what I realistically expected.

I hear what you’re saying and you aren’t exactly telling any untruths but I think you are rationalising a bit 

I agree with your reasons as to why we aren’t spending the money we should - but they reasons aren’t acceptable to me 

So I am very underwhelmed so far but here is the thing.... I don't know what would have me overwhelmed anymore... or even just whelmed... if it was a word

We are likely never again going to be able to afford the cream of the "known" talent. They are all going to be already on mega bucks. We simply cannot afford them irrespective of the Gerrard effect.

So that means there are only three categories we are able to shop in

Unknowns with potential - Goldson Katic etc

Misfits - Flannagan Pena 

Has beens.- Alves, Kranjcar etc

Experience has taught us that Has beens rarely works out, so its Unknowns with potential and Misfits that we are left with. 

So who the fuck were we expecting to sign?

7 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

So who the fuck were we expecting to sign?

I hate it when someone says that because they know fine well your average fan has no idea what players are available and/or interested 

I never thought we’d get Arfield tbh 

some of these are different times but I never thought we’d have had a chance with Mojo, Laudrup, Boli, Gascoigne, Van Vossen, Numan, Gio, De Boer, Flo, Capucho, Arveladze, Arteta, Prso, Boumsong and even Alves last season 

Its about making a decent pitch to a player and shuffling the numbers about (I.e same wages we paid O’Halloran, Dodoo and Hererra we could have covered Dembeles wages for example - you’d rather have them 3? Or him?)

We should never start accepting mediocre shite and sub standard windows because of this 

Despite finishing top goalscorers last season, I thought we struggled creating chances a lot. 

I'd like to see a creative player or two being added plus another striker. I'd ideally want another left back and centre back too right enought but I know it's tricky to do it all in one window. 

Quite happy that we seem to have strengthened the defence with Goldson , Katic and McGregor behind them . If we can stop shipping daft goals like we have previously , that could be worth an extra dozen or so points by the end of the season . 

Going forward , I'm less impressed , but the fact we've lost about 10 players and possibly another 3 or 4 more , leads me to hope that there may  yet be more to come . Hopefully more attack minded players , now that we've sorted the defence . 

14 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I hear what you’re saying and you aren’t exactly telling any untruths but I think you are rationalising a bit 

I agree with your reasons as to why we aren’t spending the money we should - but they reasons aren’t acceptable to me 

Which is fair enough. But they ARE reasons, and given the way I have rationalized (exactly what I've said I'm doing) I'm willing to give SG time to sort it out. And it should be him that gets the final say.

When the share money, merchandise money etc is in and hopefully a full more transferred out then winter and next summer It's a different matter.

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Which is fair enough. But they ARE reasons, and given the way I have rationalized (exactly what I've said I'm doing) I'm willing to give SG time to sort it out. And it should be him that gets the final say.

When the share money, merchandise money etc is in and hopefully a full more transferred out then winter and next summer It's a different matter.

I don’t really think you are getting what I’m trying to say though - they are reasons, but not good enough reasons For me. 

We should be (and can be) aiming a lot higher. We’ve little ambition in our transfer policy thus far 

9 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I don’t really think you are getting what I’m trying to say though - they are reasons, but not good enough reasons For me. 

We should be (and can be) aiming a lot higher. We’ve little ambition in our transfer policy thus far 

The loans we seem to be signing year after year concern me, second and third rate youth players who get hyped up because they play for a big Club. I'm all for using the loan system but we are accepting cast offs rather than going for quality.

4 hours ago, Camshy said:

Have been watching closely the lads in pre season and enjoying the vibe that is surrounding the club ATM. Such a positive outlook with Stevie G in charge and here's hoping he gets the full backing from the support, even during the difficult times ahead.

Out of all the new players, who do you feel will make the greatest impact?

Scott Arfield - experienced midfielder who will add extra quality to an area we struggled in last season.

Shagger - love him or loathe him he is the number 1 for that position and again improves the squad.

Nikola Katic - bit of an unknown but has great physical presence and at his age can only improve.

Jamie Murphy - already know what we have with him and hopefully he is played in a more central role to get the best from him.

Jon Flannagan - played at the highest level in England and still a good age, shrewd signing I feel.

Ovie Ojaria - like Katic a bit of an unknown but comes with a solid reputation, can he handle the blood and guts up north though?

Connor Goldson - this for me is the best signing and I can see him being captain and simply dominating that central defensive area. This is who I think will be the one we are all most pleased about when it all kicks off.

No doubt a few more to come and go at the club.

If the last 5 years have taught us anything, it's that this simply isn't true.

38 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I hate it when someone says that because they know fine well your average fan has no idea what players are available and/or interested 

I never thought we’d get Arfield tbh 

some of these are different times but I never thought we’d have had a chance with Mojo, Laudrup, Boli, Gascoigne, Van Vossen, Numan, Gio, De Boer, Flo, Capucho, Arveladze, Arteta, Prso, Boumsong and even Alves last season 

Its about making a decent pitch to a player and shuffling the numbers about (I.e same wages we paid O’Halloran, Dodoo and Hererra we could have covered Dembeles wages for example - you’d rather have them 3? Or him?)

We should never start accepting mediocre shite and sub standard windows because of this 

Probably a hyperbolic use of the "fuck" made my post seem more aggressive than I intended.

I meant to be more aligned with the opening sentence which was "i don't know what would make me overwhelmed" 

I genuinely don't know what players we could sign the are any better than what we have signed. I get your point that we don't know who might be interested but we can't  overlook that its not just about interest anymore, its about earning potential. Football is all about money and as we saw with Skrtel, we are on a different footballing planet when it comes to money. 

No one is going to be sitting with a good reputation, getting +60 grand a week looking at options around the place and say, "fuck it, Stevie G is building something good in Glasgow, I will go there on <30 grand a week because its Stevie G"

I think with the signing of guys like Flannagan, Barton, MOH, Black etc. we have demonstrated that a players character is less important than their potential playing attributes, which I disagree with. 

So to back to my original post, we are shopping for misfits or unknowns with potential. Thats just reality, not a slipping of standards