Match Analysis

25 minutes ago, TMB said:

Scott Brown is an archetype for the role we want MCCrorie to play in our team.  It's just an example no need to get upset about it and completely miss the point. 

He isn't really. He's a guy who plays DM for a team that routinely gets beat 5,6,7-0 in Europe. He doesn't have the mobility or nous to get close to dynamic players. 

When celtic play lesser teams in Scotland he sits so deep he's level with his centre backs and plays balls out to his full backs, it's nonsense and uneccesary for him to be so deep but he doesn't have the legs or ability to play further forward. 

Everyone in Scotland (including many of our former players) is complicit in turning this spl level ned into Makelele. He's only ever played amateur football up in Scotland, when he steps outside that, he's essentially a green and white cone.

1 minute ago, gsa said:

He isn't really. He's a guy who plays DM for a team that routinely gets beat 5,6,7-0 in Europe. He doesn't have the mobility or nous to get close to dynamic players. 

When celtic play lesser teams in Scotland he sits so deep he's level with his centre backs and plays balls out his full backs, it's nonsense and uneccesary for him to be so few but he doesn't have the legs or ability to play further forward. 

Everyone in Scotland (including many of our former players) is complicit in turning this spl level ned into Makelele. He's only ever played amateur football up in Scotland, when he steps outside that he's essentially a green and white cone.

was just about to reply with the same as you.  the guy gets away with it against the poorer teams in scotland but the minute hes up against a good team he gets caught out.

i would go as far to say if our league had 4 or 5 quality teams to genuinely challenge they cunts he would be hounded out the door as quick as they cunts cover up stuff

It's always easier watching it back knowing the score and that we won. At the time we needed goals and the 5 glaring headers (3 x Windass and 2 x Morelos) that didn't go in just added to the pressure. Think 4 of them actually missed the target. Add to that the other misses, miscontrolled attempts and mistimed runs it's easy to see why there was criticism.

It could've been 5 or 6 but it also could've been just 1 and a one goal lead would not have been good to take over there. As it is we are 2 in front and are capable of scoring away. Also the players need time to gel but it's time they can't have. They just need to just win these qualifiers any old way they can.

18 minutes ago, gsa said:

When celtic play lesser teams in Scotland he sits so deep he's level with his centre backs and plays balls out to his full backs, it's nonsense and uneccesary for him to be so deep but he doesn't have the legs or ability to play further forward. 

Everyone in Scotland (including many of our former players) is complicit in turning this spl level ned into Makelele. He's only ever played amateur football up in Scotland, when he steps outside that, he's essentially a green and white cone.

I absolutely agree that Brown has limited ability but that's not what's being discussed here it's the success rate of his distribution.  He keeps his passing simple and it's primarily focused on keeping possession.  His pass completion rate isn't just high in Scotland it's often surprisingly high in Europe as well.  The main point is that we don't need McCrorie getting forward and shooting at goal, or trying an elaborate passing game, we just need him to bring the ball out from defense and roll it ten yards to a more creative midfielder.  My only criticism of McCrorie is that he needs to be a bit more disciplined with his distribution and hopefully that'll come with experience.

I remember when Barton first came here he sat very deep as well often splitting the two CBs.  Many experienced CDMs tend to sit deep, pick the ball up from the back, and distribute it very short distances.  Barton isn't well liked on here either right enough so I suspect the mere mention of him will send a few in to meltdown mode.  I guess I'll need to better pick my examples in future so folk don't get all emotional and allow that to dull their critical thinking.  

4 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Recorded the game on BT and just finished watching it there. 

1st Half

Defensively solid for 45 minutes bar one attempt for Shkupi which came back off the bar, apart from that our backline had nothing to trouble them. 

Going forward we were creating chances but with better composure we were heading into half time with the tie finished. Watching the game back Arfield was hardly in it, missed his runs into the box which we saw last Friday night. 

1-0 going into the break when it should've been more. 

2nd Half

Candeias comes off for Ryan Jack and we switch to a 3 at the back with McCrorie sitting in, pushing Tavernier and Flanagan further forward. Windass and Murphy move in more centrally. 

Arfield imo did next to nothing in the game, he gets replaced by Ejaria who goes on to have a good debut. 

Windass comes off for Middleton, at the game and particularly on here it did seem as though people were applauding because of who was coming off the pitch, but watching it back it's clear the cheers were because Middleton was coming on. 

I slated Windass last night but he didn't have a bad game after the second viewing , Middleton however was again different class and is a definite contender to start the return leg. 

Tav converts the penalty and the game is won. 

Now, a few things I want to point out. People on here saying McCrorie and Morelos were poor, what game were you watching? McCrorie never put a foot wrong and Morelos still needs help up front, he never scored a hat trick so he's back to being utter shite again? 

In the end a comfortable 2-0 victory, score early over there and we're into the next round. 

Send it on :UK:

Good analysis, have a like.

40 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

was just about to reply with the same as you.  the guy gets away with it against the poorer teams in scotland but the minute hes up against a good team he gets caught out.

His distribution in Europe is just as good as it is when playing domestically.  Even in the Champions League it often sits at over 90%.  This is the benefit of keeping things simple when bringing the ball out from the back which comes back to my original point about McCrorie.  Somehow I suspect you'll ignore the point I'm making about short passing from the back and come back with a comment about how shite Scott Brown is. 

1 minute ago, TMB said:

His distribution in Europe is just as good as it is when playing domestically.  Even in the Champions League it often sits at over 90%.  This is the benefit of keeping things simple when bringing the ball out from the back which comes back to my original point about McCrorie.  Somehow I suspect you'll ignore the point I'm making about short passing from the back and come back with a comment about how shite Scott Brown is. 

Gonae get this shit to fuck man seriously.

He keeps the baw 90% of the time and 99.9% of the time they get pumped. Who cares?

Agree with much of what the OP is saying. Not with Morlelos though. Thought he looked ponderous in the box. He's supposed to be a goalscorer, but was sluggish in the box and didn't get into good goalscoring postitions often enough, and when he did he finished poorly. As with everything, tempered by the fact that it's so, so early in the season without a proper pre-season.

Windass gets into good positions, but often his final product was lacking in quality, mostly in terms of finishes. Wasn't as bed as the usual whipping boy groans about him suggest, though.

Agree with Arfield and McCrorie though. McCrorie played a disciplined, reasonably effective game. Arfield was mince.

Watching a re-run is easier than being at the game.  No pressure and no influence from 50,000 bears screaming at every error.  I have three points.

1. First competitive game with new players, management and tactics so you cant draw too many conclusions on whether we will be better this season or not.  But if pushed to, I would have to say it wasnt encouraging.  Crowd needs to be patient, players looked nervous as we were last night.  aye you paid your money and you have a right to react but just mind actions have consequences.

2. Goals and where they coming from?  A goalie error and a soft pen arent impressive and the misses were bad.  We need a striker badly.  El buffalo had a good few months but has lost his mojo in 2018.  The misses against Ayr and Them last season were worrying for our only striker to make.  Mon Stevie get it sorted.

3. We better not be planning on this patient, slow build up against poor teams with 10 man defences.  We'll drop loads of points at home again and the crowd will be on the team's back from start to finish.  We need to be running at defences and pushing up the park.  Worked in first half of last season.

5 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Recorded the game on BT and just finished watching it there. 

1st Half

Defensively solid for 45 minutes bar one attempt for Shkupi which came back off the bar, apart from that our backline had nothing to trouble them. 

Going forward we were creating chances but with better composure we were heading into half time with the tie finished. Watching the game back Arfield was hardly in it, missed his runs into the box which we saw last Friday night. 

1-0 going into the break when it should've been more. 

2nd Half

Candeias comes off for Ryan Jack and we switch to a 3 at the back with McCrorie sitting in, pushing Tavernier and Flanagan further forward. Windass and Murphy move in more centrally. 

Arfield imo did next to nothing in the game, he gets replaced by Ejaria who goes on to have a good debut. 

Windass comes off for Middleton, at the game and particularly on here it did seem as though people were applauding because of who was coming off the pitch, but watching it back it's clear the cheers were because Middleton was coming on. 

I slated Windass last night but he didn't have a bad game after the second viewing , Middleton however was again different class and is a definite contender to start the return leg. 

Tav converts the penalty and the game is won. 

Now, a few things I want to point out. People on here saying McCrorie and Morelos were poor, what game were you watching? McCrorie never put a foot wrong and Morelos still needs help up front, he never scored a hat trick so he's back to being utter shite again? 

In the end a comfortable 2-0 victory, score early over there and we're into the next round. 

Send it on :UK:

What game were you watching. At no time did we switch to a back 3 ?????  I honestly despair at some on here 

55 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Yes and turned his palms upward. 

So he's a Catholic Muslim  ?

Don't give a shit which flying spaghetti monster he believes in let's see how he performs, thought he had a decent debut.

I had heard so much about Arfield that he was a major letdown on the night

4 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

So he's a Catholic Muslim  ?

Don't give a shit which flying spaghetti monster he believes in let's see how he performs, thought he had a decent debut.

I had heard so much about Arfield that he was a major letdown on the night

@FSM you taking that mate 

1 hour ago, Siwel said:

Aye there was a few groans and laughs from around the ground, so did Goldson apparently but never seen that

Yeah. Most didn't care, some did exaggerated kiddy on shocked things, a very few were actually angry (??), and some chuckled.