Gerrard Post Match Reaction

Laudrup1984

13 hours ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Extremely disappointed.  They let themselves and us down badly.  I can't think of anything to say that hasn't already been covered tonight.  

Ejaria needs to quit trying his fancy moves and just play the ball.  He's been caught out enough.  Frustrating the life out of me.  

Not really sure why Ejaria hasn't spent more time on the bench, especially given the ruthlessness by which we bench central defenders for a dip in form. 

We have a serious lack of quality in our midfield though.   

1 hour ago, backup said:

We have been handed a better than evens chance of taking the title, it's up to manager and players to capitalise on that.

When our players are good they're very good. When poor, it's often the majority rather than one or two who are poor. Whilst we play well in adversity when down to 10 men, we've failed more often than not when if comes to true pressure games where bottle is needed.

It's not all a huge surprise given our squad is littered with guys who have never been in a pressure cooker like RFC or who have never played more than double figure professional games in previous seasons.

If we can't find bottle, answers to beat teams that sit in or play physically, get consistency then the title remains a pipe dream. I'd say the odds are not in our favour.

16 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I wouldn’t be overly happy with it but the link won’t go away and if it happened I could learn to live with it. McGregor and Lafferty have come back with little fuss so I question if Davis would be any different. People will argue that he was captain when he left so him walking out is worse (I agree) but I guarantee he would still get a good reception from most people.

Not so much how he left as we should looking to build a midfield to last, Davis has what one more season in him. 

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

When our players are good they're very good. When poor, it's often the majority rather than one or two who are poor. Whilst we play well in adversity when down to 10 men, we've failed more often than not when if comes to true pressure games where bottle is needed.

It's not all a huge surprise given our squad is littered with guys who have never been in a pressure cooker like RFC or who have never played more than double figure professional games in previous seasons.

If we can't find bottle, answers to beat teams that sit in or play physically, get consistency then the title remains a pipe dream. I'd say the odds are not in our favour.

You can't build anything with loan players, but we keep trying to.

6 minutes ago, backup said:

You can't build anything with loan players, but we keep trying to.

As an addition to a strong squad there's a place for them. Especially if they're experienced but outwith our permanent signing budgets.

What we're seeing now is what happens when the players we base our team around and rely on are loanees from the development teams within clubs like Liverpool.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

As an addition to a strong squad there's a place for them. Especially if they're experienced but outwith our permanent signing budgets.

What we're seeing now is what happens when the players we base our team around and rely on are loanees from the development teams within clubs like Liverpool.

If we are getting the real quality it would work we have gone from Danny Ings and Sturridge to possibly Solanke.

12 minutes ago, Smile said:

If we are getting the real quality it would work we have gone from Danny Ings and Sturridge to possibly Solanke.

For age and potential I would take Solanke first thanks. Ings is an injury walking down the road and Sturridge when he can be arsed is a great striker.....when he can be arsed.

10 minutes ago, Smile said:

Exactly.

Kent, Ejaria, Worall, Coulibally,... next to no real experience between them. Add in a promoted youth player in Middleton and a player trying to rescue a career in Flanagan.

When you consider several of our permanent signings have also failed to have impacts for various reasons it's no real surprise we're getting the lack of consistency from the team.

The key miss last night was Arfield who is the only central player we have that seems to offer something going forward. I know Gerrard bristled in the press conference a bit when it was suggested that we are over reliant on Morelos but I think his response showed they know this well. He's great but he isn't Messi - he won't drop deep and dribble through their team. He needs service but all we saw last night was sideways passing and wasted opportunity. Our goals return from midfield for a team at the business end of the league is poor. Can anyone remember when we last regularly struck goals from the edge of the penalty box? I agree with others who feel Ejaria needs dropped. Jack is a sitting player and for me is pretty effective but he isn't someone who is going to offer a lot going forward. I've said before that while a tidy player, I find Ejaria a bit of an empty shirt - I very rarely remember anything good or bad he does in a game. He rarely wastes possession but where are the powerful runs or the defence splitting passes...? We should be expecting a lot more from him in my opinion. If Jack is sitting then he and Arfield should be pushing forward all the time. Coulibaly is also been a massive disappointment after his early season form. Assuming Jack, Rossiter or Coulibaly have the holding position then Gerrard and Allen need to decide what to do to give us more of a threat going forward.  

2 minutes ago, backup said:

Build a team of our own.

And that leads us to the boardroom section because we don't have the money to do so effectively at present, to buy in 1st team ready, internationalists, winners.

Gerrard and Allen have done reasonably well considering the scale of overhaul, the situation they inherited, the budget available.

I've said it will take at least 3 windows to develop the squad properly. But it takes time Gerrard will struggle to be afforded and money we don't really have. It's vicious circle stuff.

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

It's not hard to work out if you read forums and newspapers. You should just stick to calling posters Paedo it's your level.

Must have struck a nerve, reporting it merely substantiates it.

Oh right because a few guys on a forum made up a rumour and the press ran with it?:lol: you must be a proper mug if you believe every wee rumour you hear, in fact i'm sure esky said at the time there was next to no chance we would get them.

I heard we are looking at Aguero and Ronaldo on loan until the end of the season.

36 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

We are. 

I don’t like the whole “look at where we were” argument but look at the squads and the lack of depth we have had in recent years. With the size of rebuild we needed to do (and are still doing) and the financial cost associated with that to do so we were always going to be looking at loans to improve numbers/quality in the short term.

Hopefully in the next year or two the ability of the pool of players that we own will improve and increase and that will lessen the need for so many loan players, but for now I don’t know why some people are so against it.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

I don’t like the whole “look at where we were” argument but last ok at the squad and the lack of depth we have had in recent years. With the size of rebuild we needed to do (and are still doing) and the financial cost associated with that to do so we were always going to be looking at loans to improve numbers/quality in the short term.

Hopefully in the next year or two the ability of the pool of players that we own will improve and increase and that will lessen the need for so many loan players, but for now I don’t know why some people are so against it.

We were never going to build a side capable of winning the league in one window, sheer delusion to think it was going to happen. 

Just now, plumbGER said:

Must have struck a nerve, reporting it merely substantiates it.

Oh right because a few guys on a forum made up a rumour and the press ran with it?:lol: you must be a proper mug if you believe every wee rumour you hear, in fact i'm sure esky said at the time there was next to no chance we would get them.

I heard we are looking at Aguero and Ronaldo on loan until the end of the season.

I'm sure no one wants to be called a Paedo that you find this okay say's more about you. this stuff works fine in the OT but not so much outside it.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

I'm sure no one wants to be called a Paedo that you find this okay say's more about you. this stuff works fine in the OT but not so much outside it.

Mug.

*edit* I never called you anything btw, I said a word, 1 word.

You got paranoid.

Just now, cushynumber said:

cut out the paedo stuff. Its tedious as fuck and I didn't close one topic just to come into another and see the same conversation.

He brought it up in this topic tbf.

If he doesn't like it so much then he should stop mentioning it.