Tav

Lloyd

25 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

No you said we should ask for the going rate, tell me the going rate for someone who is 27 and never played at a higher level than the SPFL and is still doubted by a lot of the fans of the club he plays for

To be fair the ones doubting him are idiots. 

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Completely get that. I think £7m for Tav is good money but if we rejected it(obviously there's no bid because lol Bill Young) I wouldn't be disappointed given the circumstances.

My point is more to do with some people saying because players like Solanke are going for stupid money we should be able to do it too, I find that crazy. 

Rather than making a direct comparison, I am merely stating that it IS a crazy world when it comes to the EPL and transfers.. I dont think you can ever compare transfers as the circumstances are different every time. Solanke went for absolute mental money.. so it does happen.. I am merely saying that Tav is worth a lot to US and anyone wanting to take him of our hands should pay through the nose to do so.. thats how deals work when you have something that you value at a high price yet dont want to rid yourself of.. Houses in my neck of the woods are overpriced by about 300% but that doesnt stop them from get ripped off the market in hours - are they worth the money?? Not at all.

I think £7m is actually quite a good offer for Tavernier. He's a guy who couldn't cut it at 9 different football clubs in England - we're the only team where he has played consistent football at a decent level. He's really important to our team and we're in a title race so for that reason we shouldn't sell but he can go in the summer for £7m if he wants tbh. We'd have had 4 good years out of him (especially if we win the league) and we only bought him for £500k or something.

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

I think £7m is actually quite a good offer for Tavernier. He's a guy who couldn't cut it at 9 different football clubs in England - we're the only team where he has played consistent football at a decent level. He's really important to our team and we're in a title race so for that reason we shouldn't sell but he can go in the summer for £7m if he wants tbh. We'd have had 4 good years out of him (especially if we win the league) and we only bought him for £500k or something.

COMMON SENSE.

2 minutes ago, Burts91 said:

You quite clearly never got my point, disappointed but not surprised.

What is your point?  Teams will want to give us more money because Gerrard is our manager?  I'm pretty sure they'll go after Tavernier and Morelos due to their ability and when it comes to negotiating transfer fees it's rarely the manager that sets the price.  

12 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Rather than making a direct comparison, I am merely stating that it IS a crazy world when it comes to the EPL and transfers.. I dont think you can ever compare transfers as the circumstances are different every time. Solanke went for absolute mental money.. so it does happen.. I am merely saying that Tav is worth a lot to US and anyone wanting to take him of our hands should pay through the nose to do so.. thats how deals work when you have something that you value at a high price yet dont want to rid yourself of.. Houses in my neck of the woods are overpriced by about 300% but that doesnt stop them from get ripped off the market in hours - are they worth the money?? Not at all.

That's true, but if the house you were looking at is owned by someone who is so desperate for the money that without it they will go bankrupt, you will secure the house at less than what they want. We have to sell to improve our financial position / improve our squad. I think everyone in world football knows this. But we don't need to until the summer. 

In any case, generally speaking, I don't think it's realistic to be looking for more than £7m for Tav. He is playing at his peak just now. That peak has him playing like a superstar in some games and playing like utter dogshit in other games. I don't deny he's really important to our team and he's the best right-back in Scotland just now, but he hasn't performed consistently against celtic or in the Champions League or anything so nobody will value him that highly.

celtic are strong financially, are still in Europe and have a track record of selling players for decent money into bigger/better leagues where those players have gone on to do well. Clubs trust them more, at the moment.

Tavernier was linked with moves away last summer.  In response Gerrard said this:

"Every player has their price but if the price is not right then he does not go anywhere. He stays as my captain.”

Gerrard added: “All my players are for sale. Let’s get it out in the open. Every single one of my players is for sale. They have all got a price.

“So if you want them then come with loads of money and you can have them.”

We're still a club that needs to sell players to make money.  I know some have said if he stays we could win the league, then qualify for the Champions League, but that's a gamble.  If a good enough offer came in I think the board would want that money.

40 minutes ago, TMB said:

What is your point?  Teams will want to give us more money because Gerrard is our manager?  I'm pretty sure they'll go after Tavernier and Morelos due to their ability and when it comes to negotiating transfer fees it's rarely the manager that sets the price.  

I feel that the respect that Gerrard has gained in the sport of football will see us get his valuation of player rather than the boards valuation. I hope it makes sense what I'm trying to say.

basically no underselling beneath the managers nose like Jelavic and such.

21 minutes ago, Burts91 said:

I feel that the respect that Gerrard has gained in the sport of football will see us get his valuation of player rather than the boards valuation. I hope it makes sense what I'm trying to say.

basically no underselling beneath the managers nose like Jelavic and such.

Delusional mate.

24 minutes ago, Burts91 said:

Using more words than necessary doesn't make your point any less dumb.

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

That's true, but if the house you were looking at is owned by someone who is so desperate for the money that without it they will go bankrupt, you will secure the house at less than what they want. We have to sell to improve our financial position / improve our squad. I think everyone in world football knows this. But we don't need to until the summer. 

In any case, generally speaking, I don't think it's realistic to be looking for more than £7m for Tav. He is playing at his peak just now. That peak has him playing like a superstar in some games and playing like utter dogshit in other games. I don't deny he's really important to our team and he's the best right-back in Scotland just now, but he hasn't performed consistently against celtic or in the Champions League or anything so nobody will value him that highly.

celtic are strong financially, are still in Europe and have a track record of selling players for decent money into bigger/better leagues where those players have gone on to do well. Clubs trust them more, at the moment.

WE do... thats my point. Every club is a selling club...for the right price.  Nobody is going bankrupt here.

3 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

WE do... thats my point. Every club is a selling club...for the right price.  Nobody is going bankrupt here.

We're loss making and reliant on soft loans and equity injections every so often from investors and fans. If we don't sell our assets this summer we will go bust, unless some rich benefactor comes along and ploughs millions in to fill the gap. Hasn't happened so far, didn't happen when we were at our lowest ebb and the entire club could have been had for a few million £, won't happen now.

Just now, psb07158 said:

We're loss making and reliant on soft loans and equity injections every so often from investors and fans. If we don't sell our assets this summer we will go bust, unless some rich benefactor comes along and ploughs millions in to fill the gap. Hasn't happened so far, didn't happen when we were at our lowest ebb and the entire club could have been had for a few million £, won't happen now.

We were always expected to make a loss for a few years getting back to where we belong. I certainly dont believe we are going bust if we dont offload our assets this coming summer.... what are you basing this on?

"utter dogshit".

Don't be upsetting the snowflakes with such venacular.

As for the rest pretty accurate.

Are you Phil 3 names?

Remember when people wanted silly money for Windass and were raging when he went for so little, now he's struggling at the mighty Wigan

Tav's a better player but think it's similar in that people are a bit delusional about his worth

55 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

We were always expected to make a loss for a few years getting back to where we belong. I certainly dont believe we are going bust if we dont offload our assets this coming summer.... what are you basing this on?

Basing it off logic:

1. we are majority owned by guys who are propping the club up with soft loans and converting to equity so often
2. we have been loss making for years and this won't change for a while yet

Points 1 and 2 are linked. If we continue to make losses, then number 1 has to keep happening. If number 1 keeps happening, it's not a stable financial situation at the club. The only way to avoid 1 and 2 is to become a self sustaining club (or find a sugar daddy or have the current owners put in money for nothing, which they don't want to do) . In order to become a self sustaining club we have to:

1) win trophies
2) sell players
3) qualify for Europe consistently
4) maximise our commercial opportunities

Ideally, a combination of the above. 

No business can sustain multi million £ losses continually without falling into a debt trap or going bust.

34 minutes ago, Burts91 said:

Are you Phil 3 names?

34 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Remember when people wanted silly money for Windass and were raging when he went for so little, now he's struggling at the mighty Wigan

Tav's a better player but think it's similar in that people are a bit delusional about his worth

😞 

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Got examples of these bargains?

Actually the current market is that type of standard of value, inflated by EPL and other players going for high prices. Joke market currently.

I could say Liverpool bought Robertson for £8m who is a far better full back than Tavernier hence Tavernier should only be worth like £4m

You can't compare every player in the world's value to Solanke. 

Spot on with both posts

2 hours ago, psb07158 said:

Where Tav spent his development time from Newcastle has no real bearing on his value IMO. 

I think £7m grossly undervalues him in the global market, especially if an English team comes in for him. I'd be disappointed with anything less than £13m to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Burts91 said:

Are you Phil 3 names?

I know that wasn't aimed at me but the guy who said we're running at a loss is right.  Back in October the club reported operating losses of over £14m.  The club needs to turn a profit at some point.  Selling a player + the money we made from Europe this year and it just might happen.