Alfredo as a number 10

The Beast

Passing is his main weakness and it isn’t anywhere near good enough for him to play as a number 10 

All of his strengths make him perfectly suited to playing as a lone striker, if any of the strikers were to drop off into a number 10 role it would be Defoe who is a better passer and is much better from long range 

7 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I wouldn't say it's his main weakness either, but yesterday his touch, control, laying it off was terrible from start to finish.

There were a few that struggled yesterday, including Livi players who looked like they hated that pitch. 

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I wouldn't say it's his main weakness either, but yesterday his touch, control, laying it off was terrible from start to finish.

He wasn't at his best but his touch, control and lay off was decent to lay off for Arfield to set up Jack for the opener.

3 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

He wasn't at his best but his touch, control and lay off was decent to lay off for Arfield to set up Jack for the opener.

Number of times he lost possession was unlike him. Balls bouncing away from him, quite a few lay offs just really poor and not getting to their man. I'm clearly not saying all lay offs, but there were enough for it to stand out. Maybe the pitch, maybe just one of those days. He still gets pass marks from me for a decent performance.

1 hour ago, TMB said:

So you would drop Kent and Candeias? 

No, Tav would get a rest along with Barisic on the bench  

Back 3 of Goldson (if fit) Worral Katic 

Same Midfield 3 as Sunday with Kent and Dan wide to give you the 5 

Mo & Defoe up top. 

Would like to see how it went, you won’t get a better free chance than St Mitren at Ibrox, if it’s not working in the first half then change back to 4-3-3. 

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

No, Tav would get a rest along with Barisic on the bench  

Back 3 of Goldson (if fit) Worral Katic 

Same Midfield 3 as Sunday with Kent and Dan wide to give you the 5 

Mo & Defoe up top. 

Would like to see how it went, you won’t get a better free chance than St Mitren at Ibrox, if it’s not working in the first half then change back to 4-3-3. 

I can't see this tbh. Our best play comes from overlapping full backs and some neat play on the wings. With a 3-5-2 you have the same problem we had against Kilmarnock. Focusing all your efforts through the middle unless your wingers can consistently get by their man.

I'd go with a simple 442 if it's an easier game.

Much easier to ditch it for a 433 in the second half by dropping out a striker for a midfielder.

6 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

I can't see this tbh. Our best play comes from overlapping full backs and some neat play on the wings. With a 3-5-2 you have the same problem we had against Kilmarnock. Focusing all your efforts through the middle unless your wingers can consistently get by their man.

I'd go with a simple 442 if it's an easier game.

Much easier to ditch it for a 433 in the second half by dropping out a striker for a midfielder.

We played a 442 at Killie with Kent in the front of a midfield diamond and I agree with absolutely no width. 

With the 5 you have Dan and Kent playing wide. 

Lone striker is where the buffalo is most effective in our 4-5-1 system , for the good of the team Defoe will just need to sit on the bench unless it’s games like Cowdenbeath where a change of system should still be ok to win the game and even Saturday at home against St Mirren , every away game and every big home game has to be the system we’ve had the most joy from like yesterday 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

We played a 442 at Killie with Kent in the front of a midfield diamond and I agree with absolutely no width. 

With the 5 you have Dan and Kent playing wide. 

Aye, I'm meaning the more traditional 442 with two wide midfielders. That way you maintain the width and overlapping and you can have the two up top. Shouldn't need a holding mid against teams like St Mirren at home.

35 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

Aye, I'm meaning the more traditional 442 with two wide midfielders. That way you maintain the width and overlapping and you can have the two up top. Shouldn't need a holding mid against teams like St Mirren at home.

Got you mate, aye if they where to play that way it would be worth a look as well. 

We need to find an alternative to 4-3-3 because we have already seen this season it doesn’t always work. 

15 hours ago, The Beast said:

Given the challenge of incorporating Defoe into the established team formation and our lack (before today) of goals from midfield. 

Should we look at playing Morelos as a number 10? As a very attacking midfielder breaking into the box and taking chances.

His natural game sees him foraging deeper and wider than a natural penalty box player like Defoe and some of the advanced ball winning he does is excellent.

If we have Defoe playing as a number 9 then could we play Morelos as a 10 rather than trying to shoehorn a two up top system that doesn't suit us?

Don't try fix something that isn't broken. Alfredo is doing just fine where he is.