PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

1 hour ago, CR3 said:

Finally biting the bullet and going PC in a month or 2 latest since Xbox game releases have hit a lull and I’m only really waiting on Starfield in the near future.

Anyone had a good experience buying an Amazon pre-built gaming pc from one of those brands like: cyberpower, ADMI or ViBox coming in @ £1-1.5k? Seems convenient but not sure the components will be the best suited.

Would PC part picking on something like ‘SCAN’ be ultimately better across the board?  I’ve never built one before, but have a mate near me who probably could do it no bother. @Jamie0202 @Iakona

I got my current pc from Cyberpower. I was going to go with their Amazon store but some of the builds I wasn't too sure on and just ended up going through their main site to give me what I needed. 

They also have a discord where you can say how much you're looking to spend and people will give you suggestions. 

https://discord.gg/cyberpower

5 minutes ago, aird said:

I got my current pc from Cyberpower. I was going to go with their Amazon store but some of the builds I wasn't too sure on and just ended up going through their main site to give me what I needed. 

They also have a discord where you can say how much you're looking to spend and people will give you suggestions. 

https://discord.gg/cyberpower

So what’s the review, recommend them? Was it ready to go out the box or anything you didn’t like? Just weighing up all the options currently.

38 minutes ago, CR3 said:

So what’s the review, recommend them? Was it ready to go out the box or anything you didn’t like? Just weighing up all the options currently.

If you're going to be spending upto £1.5k definitely aim to get a 4070. Quite a few places will have 3070's at that price, I would avoid them as the 4070 is a pretty big upgrade which should be a similar price.

eg. 

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/ultra-r55-gaming-pc

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Infinity-X135-D5-Gaming-PC

That Intel one especially looks a good deal. 32GB DDR5, 4070 etc.

Building yourself will always be a bit cheaper, but honestly sometimes the peace of mind of it coming ready to go and not risking breaking something yourself is worth it.

3 hours ago, CR3 said:

Finally biting the bullet and going PC in a month or 2 latest since Xbox game releases have hit a lull and I’m only really waiting on Starfield in the near future.

Anyone had a good experience buying an Amazon pre-built gaming pc from one of those brands like: cyberpower, ADMI or ViBox coming in @ £1-1.5k? Seems convenient but not sure the components will be the best suited.

Would PC part picking on something like ‘SCAN’ be ultimately better across the board?  I’ve never built one before, but have a mate near me who probably could do it no bother. @Jamie0202 @Iakona

No experience with pre builds to be honest. There’s a lot more value out there than there used to be and I know palicomp and awd-it get quite abit of love though. 

Personally I’d always recommend going down the route of building yourself. Checking part compatibility and buying components has never been easier. 

This way you know every component is good quality, you’ll generally save money and you get the satisfaction of knowing you put it together. Best of all it will give you the knowledge to maintain your system which is massive in the event of hardware issues and when you went to start upgrading.

It’s really not difficult, watch afew youtube videos and you’ll be laughing(I recommend checking out jayztwocents). Just keep the build simple, a good air cooler and a spacious case that’s easy to work with and you’ll have it built in no time. It really is a piece of piss.

5 minutes ago, Iakona said:

No experience with pre builds to be honest. There’s a lot more value out there than there used to be and I know palicomp and awd-it get quite abit of love though. 

Personally I’d always recommend going down the route of building yourself. Checking part compatibility and buying components has never been easier. 

This way you know every component is good quality, you’ll generally save money and you get the satisfaction of knowing you put it together. Best of all it will give you the knowledge to maintain your system which is massive in the event of hardware issues and when you went to start upgrading.

It’s really not difficult, watch afew youtube videos and you’ll be laughing(I recommend checking out jayztwocents). Just keep the build simple, a good air cooler and a spacious case that’s easy to work with and you’ll have it built in no time. It really is a piece of piss.

Yeah, familiar with Jay, Linus, gamers Nexus. I’m a bit wary that these pre-built may throttle. Also, would be cool to actually pick a gaming specific motherboard if picking myself but the one click and buy Amazon purchase does seem very convenient if it can tick the boxes. Aye I’m going 4070 @Somemightsay7

45 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Yeah, familiar with Jay, Linus, gamers Nexus. I’m a bit wary that these pre-built may throttle. Also, would be cool to actually pick a gaming specific motherboard if picking myself but the one click and buy Amazon purchase does seem very convenient if it can tick the boxes. Aye I’m going 4070 @Somemightsay7

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

In regards to throttling if you’re buying a prebuilt from a reputable company the components should be a balanced. I.e You shouldn’t get a mobo that gimps your cpu by failing to delivery adequate power out of the box. Or a gpu that will be bottlenecked by the rest of the system.

Where they tend to take shortcuts with prebuilds is the case, memory and the PSU. You won’t always get the best quality in terms of reliability and performance. The latter will likely be spec’d for the system with very little overhead.

Mobos are another conversation on their own… and it’s one that’s not unique to custom or prebuilds.  gaming mobos typically have a lot of features you possibly don’t and won’t ever need which comes at a sizeable investment. It’s much better to bank on your gpu and build the rest of the system around it to ensure it remains balanced. Do you need wireless and Bluetooth support? Do you need all the high speed ports? Do you need a stupid amount of memory expansion? If you’re running the system at stock do you really all those additional heat sinks.

54 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Do you need wireless and Bluetooth support? Do you need all the high speed ports? Do you need a stupid amount of memory expansion? If you’re running the system at stock do you really all those additional heat sinks.

None of these are particularly jumping out as potential concerns right now.

Personally, motherboards are the least of your worries and the best place to waste money.

Pick the ones that have the features you need (wifi, Bluetooth, the correct number of USB ports etc). Everything else isn't needed for 99% of people. 

I have a 5800x and a 4080 with a B550 board which is pretty much an entry-level board. It makes no difference to performance and it has everything I need.

Rather than spend £300 on a high-end mobo, save the £200 and get a normal one or use that money to upgrade the CPU and add more RAM.

4 hours ago, CR3 said:

No complaints for me. All I had to do was install a 2nd nmve drive and install windows and I was up and running.

I've only had to contact support once because my argb fans stopping working but it was a case of unplugging a molex cable and plugging it back in :belm:

I still have some wiggle room on my system like adding more storage and RAM. 

But if you're wanting to build it yourself then go for it. There's nothing more frustrating but rewarding when you build a pc :lol:

On 16/05/2023 at 14:37, CR3 said:

Don't know much about the company but this is a great deal for a 4070 machine. 

https://www.stormforcegaming.co.uk/product/crystal-6328-rtx-4070-intel-i5-12400f/?awc=24882_1684602780_f2fed3e6d9a16f6763cb8dd1094c1491

24 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Considering i've got the 12600k im glad to see it getting paired with a 4070, was worrying it might be overkill.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 04/01/2023 at 16:46, rabc10000 said:

You are indeed correct, however that kinda takes away from the whole fault finding that goes amateur enthusiast is all about. 

Theirs a reason that myself an my 2 oldest boys can pin point faults in a pc very quickly and it's by using almost old skool techniques. 

Fwiw I very much doubt that the likes of seasonic, super flower, evga, Corsair etc etc, the biggest PSU manufacturers in the world all throw in those testing clips because it's literally the easiest thing to test before u start ripping a full pc apart.

Likewise imho best way to trouble shoot a pc is by removing the full mobo and using a piece of clean cardboard to troubleshoot.

How did the poster get on with his pc?? @EatDolphins

Still haven't properly looked into it. Was going to get a new WiFi card but never got round to it. Still thinking about running a cat 6 data extension but I can't be arsed and don't fancy drilling through 2 ceilings.

23 minutes ago, EatDolphins said:

Still haven't properly looked into it. Was going to get a new WiFi card but never got round to it. Still thinking about running a cat 6 data extension but I can't be arsed and don't fancy drilling through 2 ceilings.

Can u no do what us normal people do and drill a hole through the outside wall, run it up the building then back inside the outside wall. Added bonus easy to hide wires.  

23 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Can u no do what us normal people do and drill a hole through the outside wall, run it up the building then back inside the outside wall. Added bonus easy to hide wires.  

It would have to go over the roof. The room I want it in is in on the opposite side of the house. Plus I've only ly got internal cat 6. Would only last a few years externally. It doesn't always bother me it's just some times the WiFi strength is non existent. It's apparently a known problem with virgin routers.

3 minutes ago, EatDolphins said:

It would have to go over the roof. The room I want it in is in on the opposite side of the house. Plus I've only ly got internal cat 6. Would only last a few years externally. It doesn't always bother me it's just some times the WiFi strength is non existent. It's apparently a known problem with virgin routers.

Superhub 3 by any chance. Our WiFi was always non existent with that router. That's why I ended up with the router I've got.  Didn't realise you were going over the roof so that rules it out.  Guess it's either drilling or powerline adapters unfortunately 

9 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Superhub 3 by any chance. Our WiFi was always non existent with that router. That's why I ended up with the router I've got.  Didn't realise you were going over the roof so that rules it out.  Guess it's either drilling or powerline adapters unfortunately 

Power line adapters are wank. Tried a few. Think our official line at work is to advise not to use them at all. I think it is the SH3. Complained to virgin loads of times but they don't want to know. Think they k ow we don't have any options.

1 hour ago, rabc10000 said:

Thought normal people run the cables behind their plasterboard mate.

Had a guy from Virgin up who was wanting to do that, told him I'd run the cables myself. Guy was obviously pleased that he wouldn't have to do his mad shit. There's houses in my street that have cables running over the house on the outside. Looks fucking awful imo.