Fenians

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

It really isnt. It is just how language works.

A fenian was a revolutionary nationalist hunners of years ago. That is where the word came from.

In this day and age, 99% of the usage of the word is us calling them fenians, or them referring to themselves as fenians.

They are no longer armed revolutionary nationalist (well most of them anyway), so the word is being used in 99% of cases to refer to celtic fans / catholics.

Therefore the meaning of the word has actually changed naturally.

More truth in that than for Catholics tbh

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

A fenian was a revolutionary nationalist hunners of years ago. That is where the word came from.

In this day and age, 99% of the usage of the word is us calling them fenians, or them referring to themselves as fenians.

They are no longer armed revolutionary nationalist (well most of them anyway), so the word is being used in 99% of cases to refer to celtic fans / catholics.

Almost culturally changed one would say yes?? Almost exclusive to Scotland and Ireland as well I presume?? 

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

And celtic fan's ira sympathies are pretty well known 

4 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Fuck up, eh?

The club want people to pay money (more than they should) and sit down and shut up.

Usually a decent poster until this despite me agreeing with you the last time fenian was debated.

Im taking a fair bit of abuse from this thread. If folk are gonna get upset about getting a little back, then they have to toughen up.

Cunts are sitting here defiantly implying that they are going to go down a route which will see the club thrown out of Europe. As far as I am concerned anyone who thinks this can fuck off and as far as I am concerned, they are an enemy of the club.

Fenians were not strictly Catholics... One of the first fenian leaders was a Protestant, Wolfe Tone. 

Our history books are getting re written. Exactly the same as the troubles in NI where the 'IRA martyrs' are called heroes and freedom fighters and our brave soldiers and police who were blown up killed and maimed, along with thousands of protestant civilians are seen as the antagonists. 

I still can't get my head around those who won't let this go and just stop singing it, what is it they want to happen? I mean, not just "I want the board to stand up for us",  what have they to do and how do they go about it? 

Is that more important than seeing our team on the park? 

15 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Listen to the club, they dont want the likes of you any more. You should go support someone else.

Who the fuck are you to dictate who can and can't support the club?

Fucking scab.

15 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Listen to the club, they dont want the likes of you any more. You should go support someone else.

Aye but they wanted us in the 1980's and in Lower divisions but all of a sudden they don't want us , fuck them this is my club not theirs

4 minutes ago, drewgardiner88 said:

Fenians were not strictly Catholics... One of the first fenian leaders was a Protestant, Wolfe Tone. 

Our history books are getting re written. Exactly the same as the troubles in NI where the 'IRA martyrs' are called heroes and freedom fighters and our brave soldiers and police who were blown up killed and maimed, along with thousands of protestant civilians are seen as the antagonists. 

Exactly.  In one instance we’ve got our board and even our own fans accepting and letting it happen.  Sorry, it’s happened they have let it happen and another instance we have our own government letting it happen aswell.  Disgraceful. 

Some of our support sadden me. 

We were almost whiter than whiter for years hardly a wrong word and we got battered from pillar to post by those Fenian cunts and their apologists in the media. 

If anyone thinks not singing the word Fenian means they won’t or can’t attack our club you are sadly deluded and need a reality check. 

10 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Im taking a fair bit of abuse from this thread. If folk are gonna get upset about getting a little back, then they have to toughen up.

Cunts are sitting here defiantly implying that they are going to go down a route which will see the club thrown out of Europe. As far as I am concerned anyone who thinks this can fuck off and as far as I am concerned, they are an enemy of the club.

As I said at the time you started this thread for one particular reason and that was to create a divide and cause arguments and it looks like you have done so in spectacular fashion. 

7 minutes ago, STRUTH82 said:

I still can't get my head around those who won't let this go and just stop singing it, what is it they want to happen? I mean, not just "I want the board to stand up for us",  what have they to do and how do they go about it? 

Is that more important than seeing our team on the park? 

Because our fucking culture and history is being chipped away and has been for over 30 years and if you’re happy with that we’ll then you’re a mug. 

34 minutes ago, chris182 said:

They'd have to buy at least a couple thousand to make it noiseworthy, I know they are obsessed but that's a bit far fetched 😆

This is the reason clubs don't want strict liability in the league because they know this would happen. 

Just now, GOAT said:

Because our fucking culture and history is being chipped away and has been for over 30 years and if you’re happy with that we’ll then you’re a mug. 

Sad part is it's not just our club as such it's literally everything as well outwith the club. They are destroying and trying to erase everything 

2 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Sad part is it's not just our club as such it's literally everything as well outwith the club. They are destroying and trying to erase everything 

It’s happened for the last 30 years and we’ve let it, the clubs let it, the PUL community has let it.  Now it’s probably too late to fight back.  Sad times. 

Right now? Thursday? This season? Absolutely fucking not.

It is naïve at best to assume that FARcE/UEFA etc will distinguish a difference, and completely retarded to think everyone will sing any new version.
Get our house in order is the only option we have. A quote from FF, "we didn't come back from the brink of extinction to let this ruin us."
Maybe, MAYBE in years to come if we are whiter than white then a concerted effort can be made on lyric changes. But in all honesty, it's almost certainly best, and easiest, to leave these songs/chants/add ons in the past. It does us no good whatsoever.

Archived