And if we face celtic in the final .........................

The Widow's Son

2 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

That's why you get the meltdowns on here you get regarding our games. The amount of people that had us waltzing up to tynecastle and taking 5 off of hearts like it was Elgin at ibrox was staggering.

They then get themselves into a tizzy when we've not matched their moronic predictions..

Hearts are struggling for form and goals but on their day they're one of the best sides in this league and a difficult opponent as they get right in your face. Now levein has gone we may start to see them improve 

Yes many were laughed at when they said tynecastle is always a tough place to go and would be happy to scrape a win.

Lets concentrate on the semi final first then if we do win everything else will fall in to place.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

From the bygone days of yore, perhaps you remember the 1970 League Cup Final.  We hadn't won a trophy for some years (over four) and celtic had some team in those days.  but beaten they were by Derek Johnstone.  Don't remember this game much - the beers more than the years - but other posters have pointed out that Derek became a very popular boys name around this time.  Still remember a photo of Derek and Colin Jackson (a personal fave of mine) smoking a cigar with the cup.  We all wore younger men's clothes in those days.  

Maybe some of the more seasoned bears can share their memories of this game.  Warms your heart when you're 8,000 miles or so away.

I'm excited to mate . Tables could be turning, but lets keep fast walking until we can run eh .

I love looking back on our great adventures being proud Rangers fans . Our history , the Glory . All these great Cup final wins and Semi finals .It's what this club is all about .All these great times are worth remembering but we have to start making new ones .

It's been years now , since we won any silverware . That nostalgia isn't going to bring trophies back . Winning a Semi final will give us the biggest chance since we messed up v Hivs .We have to be there to create the new memories . So this weekend has me excited as fuck . Let's go put on a show bears

I owe a few apologies here it would seem.  Sorry to: those who think I've hexed/goatmouthed the Gers; those who look forward not backwards; those who take it one game at a time; those who are barely old enough and don't quite remember; those who are too young; those who don't remember; those who couldn't make it; those who did make it and got soaked; anyone else my post offended.

4 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

I owe a few apologies here it would seem.  Sorry to: those who think I've hexed/goatmouthed the Gers; those who look forward not backwards; those who take it one game at a time; those who are barely old enough and don't quite remember; those who are too young; those who don't remember; those who couldn't make it; those who did make it and got soaked; anyone else my post offended.

No you don't mate . Cmon to fuck . We all do daft posts

You are just getting ahead of yourself . We all do it :whistle:

6 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Aye me ya moose fucking cunt.🤪

11 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

No apologies needed, quite right to set our expectations high, and express how important it i s for us to win silverware ASAP.  We are now once again in a strong position to do this. 

People being too pedantic here as you did use the word "if" in title, and the ones who dived in also ignored the fact it could be us in a final against Hibs. Either way doesn't alter the basic premises that we should be aiming our sights on finals now.  Shame you got hammered by the doubters and trolls straight away as it is an interesting topic.

Nothing wrong with a wee bit of premature exuberation.

47 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Win the fucking semi, THEN we can talk about the final.

Nonsense.

Will those who have higher expectations also be advised not to talk about winning the league or Scottish Cup until end of May.

Football is all about expectation and banter.               Also amazing how many have ignored or missed the first two words in the thread title. 

1 minute ago, tannerall said:

Nonsense.

Will those who have higher expectations also be advised not to talk about winning the league or Scottish Cup until end of May.

Football is all about expectation and banter. 

I get that but it's also important not to get ahead of ourselves and then look daft when expectations are not met.

3 hours ago, Brackley said:

As a sixteen year old I was there that day.

Distinctly remember this game as our supporters bus didn't turn up that day  and at around 2.30 we had to get a service bus into Motherwell and then a train to Mount Florida.

The game had started by the time we climbed the stairs into the Rangers end and after battling my way down towards the front to get a viewpoint I looked up to see a cross ball come over and the rest is history.

After the bedlam had settled down I remember turning to the guys next to me and asking who the hell had scored.

Happy days.

There were a reported 110,000 at the match :mutley:

I was 19 and wasn't expecting to win,as John Greig was out.
We actually looked good considering we had a 16 year old kid playing,and could've been 2 or 3 up at half time.
Spot on with the bedlam,and it was fuckin brilliant noising the cunts up in the city centre,that they had been beaten by a boy of 16.   

I remember that game so vividly. As has already been said that was our first trophy in 4 and a half years. I was 15 at the time, and can in my mind's eye see big DJ rising above  the two defenders, the ball hitting the back of the net, then absolute bedlam at the Good Guys end. It was the first cup I seen us win, and the last Rangers game  that I went to with my father, as it was time for me to go with my mates instead.  It is so right we remember our history, as it is unique, and when we eventually win 55, that will be something we will NEVER forget!😃

1 hour ago, GersInCanada said:

Can't see the spoonburners getting anything today so if we beat Hearts tomorrow then it's the first Rangers scum final since 2010

Not so sure . If Broonaldo is out . That may upset their rhythm . I'm feeling strangely confident of a surprise today .

BBC already bragging about 30 in a row .mmm

11 hours ago, TMB said:

It’ll be the first major league final we’ve participated in since Walter Smith and Jelavic scores that winner over celtic.

This current Rangers team can reach the final and contest it.  It can qualify for the knockout stages of the Europa.  It can put up a challenge for the league title.  We have turned a corner and our performances reflect that.  We just need a bit of silverware.  

Blanking out Warburton’s SCF?

11 hours ago, TMB said:

It’ll be the first major league final we’ve participated in since Walter Smith and Jelavic scores that winner over celtic.

This current Rangers team can reach the final and contest it.  It can qualify for the knockout stages of the Europa.  It can put up a challenge for the league title.  We have turned a corner and our performances reflect that.  We just need a bit of silverware.  

Since 2016...

5 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

That's why you get the meltdowns on here you get regarding our games. The amount of people that had us waltzing up to tynecastle and taking 5 off of hearts like it was Elgin at ibrox was staggering.

They then get themselves into a tizzy when we've not matched their moronic predictions..

Hearts are struggling for form and goals but on their day they're one of the best sides in this league and a difficult opponent as they get right in your face. Now levein has gone we may start to see them improve 

Must admit I thought we’d take 4/5 off them 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, scottyscott1963 said:

There were a reported 110,000 at the match :mutley:

I was 19 and wasn't expecting to win,as John Greig was out.
We actually looked good considering we had a 16 year old kid playing,and could've been 2 or 3 up at half time.
Spot on with the bedlam,and it was fuckin brilliant noising the cunts up in the city centre,that they had been beaten by a boy of 16.   

And the rest. 

The number of fans that got in to the ground "unnacounted for" was mental in those days. 

Included 10 or 20 thousand who were ignored for tax reasons (cellic continue to this day to give false attendances, albeit sometimes the other way.)

Also included those who bunged the turnstyle keeper, and did a traditional "double shuffle", a two for the price of one through the turnstyle.

And included all the wee guys (and sometimes big guys) who got lifted over, or even hurdled the turnstyle.

I also remember a lot used to get in via the gates and track where the various stewards, first aid people and police entered, "friends" of the club probably. 

In fact most of the, even at that time, record crowds were way underestimated. Most congested game I was at was thw 126,000  in the 73 cup final, guaranteed an extra15-20 thousand were unaccounted for. Add to that the copious ammounts of booze that were drunk before the game, then smuggled in, it really was a crazy, but brilliant atmosphere, never to be matched again. 

7 minutes ago, tannerall said:

And the rest. 

The number of fans that got in to the ground "unnacounted for" was mental in those days. 

Included 10 or 20 thousand who were ignored for tax reasons (cellic continue to this day to give false attendances, albeit sometimes the other way.)

Also included those who bunged the turnstyle keeper, and did a traditional "double shuffle", a two for the price of one through the turnstyle.

And included all the wee guys (and sometimes big guys) who got lifted over, or even hurdled the turnstyle.

I also remember a lot used to get in via the gates and track where the various stewards, first aid people and police entered, "friends" of the club probably. 

In fact most of the, even at that time, record crowds were way underestimated. Most congested game I was at was thw 126,000  in the 73 cup final, guaranteed an extra15-20 thousand were unaccounted for. Add to that the copious ammounts of booze that were drunk before the game, then smuggled in, it really was a crazy, but brilliant atmosphere, never to be matched again. 

Sounds horrendous all those people crammed in and when you had surges in the crowd it can't have been safe. Give me the safety and comfort of an all seated stadium any day of the week.

2 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Sounds horrendous all those people crammed in and when you had surges in the crowd it can't have been safe. Give me the safety and comfort of an all seated stadium any day of the week.

Agree 100%, it simply wasn't safe, but surprisingly it was the best of times atmosphere wise. 

10,000+huddle and bouncy every time we scored. and you'd end up 10s of yards away from the starting point. 

3 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

:lol:

Only the tarriers mate  .....  but they don't matter so fuck them ..... and for that I thank you and the whole 1970 cup final team for restoring our pride that day ..... which gave us bragging rights that we of a certain pedigree can still  feel pride in today. 

:UK: 

Archived