BREAKING: SPFL chief Neil Doncaster warns coronavirus outbreak could threaten entire league season

Smile

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If scum was to have 50% of their 1st team hit at the same time with coronavirus affecting the remaining league results and we some how  manage to start winning I’ll guarantee you that the league would be cancelled.  In all honestly maybe rightly so.

6 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Can you imagine how much we would be shitting it right now if we were miles in front and this threat was potentially going to cancel the season!

I love how folk think cancelling the season means they won't get the title. If it gets cancelled early, they'll still be crowned champions.

Just now, The Dude said:

I love how folk think cancelling the season means they won't get the title. If it gets cancelled early, they'll still be crowned champions.

Pretty sure they can't be as their are no regulations in that regard.

Might be if they have won the league before the virus causes the situation, but can't see them being awarded it if we have a mathematical chance of winning.

To put it simply, think of the sporting integrity.

18 hours ago, HuistraHairDo said:

Aye it was all our own fault.

Nothing to do with the club's that voted us out in the name of sporting integrity.

:fishing:

Those same clubs are awfully quiet on the huge scandal currently overshadowing Scottish football. Anyone would think there was some sort of agenda at play here.

45 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Pretty sure they can't be as their are no regulations in that regard.

Might be if they have won the league before the virus causes the situation, but can't see them being awarded it if we have a mathematical chance of winning.

To put it simply, think of the sporting integrity.

There is no chance that the season ends without a champion, Especially not with 28/29 of 38 games played, Do you think if it's cancelled it'll be resumed or that next season would start with the same teams as 19/20 in place?

Just now, The Dude said:

There is no chance that the season ends without a champion, Especially not with 28/29 of 38 games played, Do you think if it's cancelled it'll be resumed or that next season would start with the same teams as 19/20 in place?

I don't think it will be cancelled, but if it did and if one team put in a legal challenge, they would be forced to either pick up the championship where it was halted, or the whole season is reset.

If they don't have rules for stopping the season early and crowning early champions, then I don't think it could be legally done.

I think they would want to, and they could try to pressure clubs to accept it, but if someone held firm, I don't think they could force it.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I don't think it will be cancelled, but if it did and if one team put in a legal challenge, they would be forced to either pick up the championship where it was halted, or the whole season is reset.

If they don't have rules for stopping the season early and crowning early champions, then I don't think it could be legally done.

I think they would want to, and they could try to pressure clubs to accept it, but if someone held firm, I don't think they could force it.

Assuming any shutdown lasted beyond the end of the season, they wouldn't be able to pick it back up. The SPFLdo hold the right to adjust the league season as they see fit, although I'd expect clubs would be polled on it.

A delay of 19/20 beyond the natural end of the season would be chaotic and could even see us have to forfeit European football next season. Can't take our place in the relevant competition if the season hasn't finished to determine which one we're in and where we enter etc.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Assuming any shutdown lasted beyond the end of the season, they wouldn't be able to pick it back up. The SPFLdo hold the right to adjust the league season as they see fit, although I'd expect clubs would be polled on it.

A delay of 19/20 beyond the natural end of the season would be chaotic and could even see us have to forfeit European football next season. Can't take our place in the relevant competition if the season hasn't finished to determine which one we're in and where we enter etc.

Think we will have to see how it plays out.

I don't think it will come to it anyway.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Interesting point about Euro places but think the main problem  for the SPL would be the relegation places which could put a club into admin. As it is close I could not see any team accepting relegation if there are no set rules in place from the beginning of the  relevant season. For once I don’t think the top of the table would be causing the Spl or sfa the problem.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Think we will have to see how it plays out.

I don't think it will come to it anyway.

I don't either tbh, I still think it's a mountain out of a molehill but one thing I am certain of is that whatever happens, the season won't end with a 'DNF'

1 minute ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Interesting point about Euro places but think the main problem  for the SPL would be the relegation places which could put a club into admin. As it is close I could not see any team accepting relegation if there are no set rules in place from the beginning of the  relevant season. For once I don’t think the top of the table would be causing the Spl or sfa the problem.

Funnily enough, it was League One that really caught my eye, Only a point or two between Raith and Falkirk for the title and the financial implications for both. Oh aye, and the last game of the season is Raith v Falkirk.

Really would be tainted if this happened

The SPFL are prepared to crown celtic champions if the coronavirus grinds Scottish football to a halt, according to a report.

Relegation to the Championship could also be decided by the powers that be should a worst case scenario develop, it's claimed.

A statement from the joint SPFL and SFA taskforce on Thursday insisted there was no immediate threat to fixtures.

Plans, however, have been put in place if the situation worsens.

According to The Daily Mail, that may include playing games behind closed doors or declaring league title winners, promotions and relegations as an absolute last resort.

It’s understood any such drastic action would only be taken if the football authorities receive instructions to do so either by from Holyrood or No.10.

3 minutes ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Oh well, scumtic are a shoe-in if they are ahead. 

Its illegal and would end up in court. Until its mathematically impossible the spfl better pray that the virus doesn't hit players or officials.

The competition would be void if it did

5 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Its illegal and would end up in court. Until its mathematically impossible the spfl better pray that the virus doesn't hit players or officials.

The competition would be void if it did

Is it illegal? If clubs are unable to fulfil their fixtures, they can't just wait forever to pick them up again.

It happened in Chile a couple of months ago with the title being awarded to the team at the top.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/chilean-primera-division/story/4002169/chilean-football-season-ended-early-amid-protests

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Is it illegal? If clubs are unable to fulfil their fixtures, they can't just wait forever to pick them up again.

It happened in Chile a couple of months ago with the title being awarded to the team at the top.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/chilean-primera-division/story/4002169/chilean-football-season-ended-early-amid-protests

What do our own regulations say though?

Archived