Club statement | Resolution not deemed competent

OceanRain

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, KingKirk said:

UEFA guy calling for everything to be abandoned. Maybe that's the reason they tried to get this through yesterday.

Or maybe they saw the clusterfuck in Scotland yesterday and said fuck this!

1 minute ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

D3075F3D-21BB-4A12-B8F5-8EEBBA90DBC8.png

fact may be stranger than fiction, the eu are said to be leaning heavily on then, in no small measure due to macron threatening to end the eu in its present form, he is personally said to be livid at sport in general thinking it should be a special case, while they pluck hallucinatory dates for restarts out of the air.

UEFA have hired a world-renowned Belgian virologist for advice on the coronavirus crisis and he's urged them to abandon this season immediately.

Scottish football is in limbo after the SPFL vote on Friday, with Dundee having the decisive say on whether the season will end early in the lower leagues.

But any slim hopes of the season continuing at a later date could be snuffed out entirely if European football's governing body listen to the advice of Marc Van Ranst, who is virologist and epidemiologist at the Katholieke Universiteit in Leuven and regarded as one of the world's leading authorities on the subject.

Belgian football initially incurred UEFA's wrath after they declared their season over, only to announce a u-turn later.

Now UEFA have turned to one of their countrymen to get a definite verdict on when football can return.

And he's advised UEFA to bin the season immediately.

Van Ranst said: "Playing football in the next few months is not an option at all.

"I have advised UEFA this and I am convinced they now realise this.

"I understand from football clubs in Belgium that it would take a minimum of three to four weeks for training before they can start playing again. Playing football this season is not an option.

"I told them they cannot blame the Belgian Pro League from making their initial decision.

"Even talk of playing football behind closed doors, that can't be allowed because we have seen fans gather together to have their own parties and that defeats the point.

"The facts are we now in early April and there are thousands of new cases every day across Europe.

"How can anyone talk about restarting football if we don't even know if we are at the peak of what is only the first stage of the virus?

"Football is very much a side issue for the moment, but it will become important again when we examine our exit strategy.

"I'm afraid, mass events like football and music festivals will be the very last things to be allowed again."

3 minutes ago, foghorn leghorn said:

Dundee's supporters would be totally miffed if their team voted for Dundee Hibs to be handed the league title, so the chairman must have plenty of cash to keep the club afloat till the spfl decide to hand out payments.

not only would be be handing dundee utd the title which i think they are certain to win anyway but dundee still have a chance of promotion via the play offs  i would be ashtonished if dundee did not vote no

Just now, The Dude said:

UEFA have hired a world-renowned Belgian virologist for advice on the coronavirus crisis and he's urged them to abandon this season immediately.

Scottish football is in limbo after the SPFL vote on Friday, with Dundee having the decisive say on whether the season will end early in the lower leagues.

But any slim hopes of the season continuing at a later date could be snuffed out entirely if European football's governing body listen to the advice of Marc Van Ranst, who is virologist and epidemiologist at the Katholieke Universiteit in Leuven and regarded as one of the world's leading authorities on the subject.

Belgian football initially incurred UEFA's wrath after they declared their season over, only to announce a u-turn later.

Now UEFA have turned to one of their countrymen to get a definite verdict on when football can return.

Van Ranst said: "Playing football in the next few months is not an option at all.

"I understand from football clubs in Belgium that it would take a minimum of three to four weeks for training before they can start playing again. Playing football this season is not an option.

"I told them they cannot blame the Belgian Pro League from making their initial decision.

"Even talk of playing football behind closed doors, that can't be allowed because we have seen fans gather together to have their own parties and that defeats the point.

"The facts are we now in early April and there are thousands of new cases every day across Europe.

"How can anyone talk about restarting football if we don't even know if we are at the peak of what is only the first stage of the virus?

"Football is very much a side issue for the moment, but it will become important again when we examine our exit strategy.

"I'm afraid, mass events like football and music festivals will be the very last things to be allowed again."

Just now, Dave Hedgehog said:

I can’t find the story anywhere, where are you hearing it?

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

UEFA might be a lot of things but if they do that, they've effectively signalled the end of every domestic league in Europe. The one thing they've always maintained is the autonomy of leagues to do whats best for their relevant territory.

If it's a power they wield, it's a power they can use. 

Just now, Born Sinner said:

Is abandoning leagues not just referring to not playing the remainder of the games? It doesn’t mean anything with regard to calling the season as is / null and void 

Possibly but I'd imagine everything will be null and void now.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

EFA have hired a world-renowned Belgian virologist for advice on the coronavirus crisis and he's urged them to abandon this season immediately.

even with all that  the season will not be null and void  the spfl will go by what they said most points by games played and the leagues will be decided like that

1 minute ago, OceanRain said:

If it's a power they wield, it's a power they can use. 

Its not a power they have. Never has been. That's why when the moonhowlers were going to them with their sevco shite it kept getting batted back to the SFA. Domestic matters dealt with by domestic bodies.

It all makes sense why the SPFL wanted to pass this vote so quickly, obviously Lawell caught wind of this news and wanted to make a decision before UEFA made it for them.

"Oops sorry guys we've already declared celtic champions, no take backsies!"

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Its not a power they have. Never has been. That's why when the moonhowlers were going to them with their sevco shite it kept getting batted back to the SFA. Domestic matters dealt with by domestic bodies.

UEFA can recommend leagues to make seasons null and void. They can absolutely sway/bully domestic bodies into doing this. If you want to argue otherwise, that's fine. My point still stands.

Just now, tina-duncan said:

It all makes sense why the SPFL wanted to pass this vote so quickly, obviously Lawell caught wind of this news and wanted to make a decision before UEFA made it for them.

"Oops sorry guys we've already declared celtic champions, no take backsies!"

I had a slight feeling this was the case previously, because announcing them champions so hastily just made no sense.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has told European leagues including the SPFL they must convince the governing body of any case they want to make for declaring their 2019-20 campaigns over.

Although Ceferin says he is conscious that individual Leagues may need to adopt differing responses to the Covid-19 pandemic that has brought football to a standstill across the continent, the European game's senior figure warns that he is ready to withdraw Champions and Europa League access from national competitions which fail to gain UEFA approval on ending their domestic seasons.

Archived