Ferguson and Dykes

32 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Any player being signed to be a squad player is not worth signing at all. Either sign someone who is going to be a starter or pushing to be a starter or don't sign at all. 

Fed up with these players we sign to be squad players. Waste of a fucking wage. 99/100 sit on the bench or in the reserves and then get punted out to Hibs on loan then never heard of again.

Sign players that are starting quality. If they aren't better than who is already in the 11 then don't bother. Ferguson, Dykes, Shankland, the list goes on. 

Squad players should be aspiring youth wanting to be given a chance.

Good in theory but when we play one up front and someone of the same quality as the guy that holds the Jersey would cost £15-20 million it's totally unrealistic as is expecting that player  or Morelos to be happy warming the bench every week. Throwing inexperienced youth players into high pressure must win games doesn't work either. Dykes would be a good option to have.  Wouldn't pay big money for Ferguson which is what Aberdeen would want.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Any player being signed to be a squad player is not worth signing at all. Either sign someone who is going to be a starter or pushing to be a starter or don't sign at all. 

Fed up with these players we sign to be squad players. Waste of a fucking wage. 99/100 sit on the bench or in the reserves and then get punted out to Hibs on loan then never heard of again.

Sign players that are starting quality. If they aren't better than who is already in the 11 then don't bother. Ferguson, Dykes, Shankland, the list goes on. 

Squad players should be aspiring youth wanting to be given a chance.

Up front we have Morelos, Defoe and I'm assuming Kamberi leaves. Who do we sign for upfront that we can afford who is better than Morelos?  If there isnt such a player you're happy going into a season with 2 recognised strikers and no youths of note that can play no9?

And if Morelos goes and gets replaced with a new no9 you're still happy to run with an untried player in Scotland plus Defoe?

8 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

yes to both, young ferguson was born for it, its wrote in the stars imo.... woudnt go over 1.5 mil however, the sheep will sell due to corona.... Dykes causes the tarriers chaos everytime theyve played this season..Id sign Kamberi before Hagi too, Kamberi only only player aprt from Arfield showing a desire them last few games we played, he wont be going back near the hivs nway....

Fucking hell man.

Dykes as an affordable robust option striker, who seems to play well against better opposition. If he is cheap enough, he is a proven SPFL player, who gives us a different option - he wouldn't be signed at a regular.

Ferguson is a worthwhile signing too. Proven in the league, young, and supports us. Signed plenty like him over the years who've been successful signings.

12 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Another who has become some sort of great player because he runs about and had a good half against St Johnstone

Kamberi has a formidable set of nashers, that's about it 

1 hour ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Another who has become some sort of great player because he runs about and had a good half against St Johnstone

He's fucking pish. Miles away from the standard required.

Kamberi is alright but he should be a 4th choice striker for us or something.

Free and cheap wages as a squad filler aye, but I think you gotta draw the line somewhere tho when you find yourself saying "free and cheap wages as a squad filler" way too much - we've already got the likes of Greg Stewart and others in the squad as it is. 

Reason I think Dykes is a wee exception to the above is because he purely offers us something different in a big physical presence but you should only have a couple of players of that standard in and around the first team, ideally.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Dykes as an affordable robust option striker, who seems to play well against better opposition. If he is cheap enough, he is a proven SPFL player, who gives us a different option - he wouldn't be signed at a regular.

Ferguson is a worthwhile signing too. Proven in the league, young, and supports us. Signed plenty like him over the years who've been successful signings.

Agreed, Ferguson is the kind of signing that we’ll get 5-6 years out of at least. 

Dykes I’m fine with if it’s for a small fee and we sign a Vydra type player to be the main striker (assuming Alfie’s gone). I could see Dykes working quite well with Defoe, plus he’s in his mid 20s so he can still improve.

11 hours ago, murzo said:

Are we likely to sign Kamberi on a permanent?  What’s the point of having Dykes as well. One or the other imo. Ferguson , is he good enough, would Aberdeen sell to us, look for too much money, are we even interested, who knows. I think Greg Docherty could be used as part of the deal in any of those signings tho.

We could give GD as part of the Kamberi deal.

However GD has done well in both his loan spells. I think he should be used in domestic games for us. Hibs fans love him. And he obviously got POTS for Shrewsbury. 3 points v Kilmarnock and Hamilton is just the same as the tims.

6 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

What's the cost associated with these two? Isn't Ferguson's contract running out? I said last season Ferguson could be another John Mginn/breasts situation if we don't go for him. Every time I have seen Dykes he has impressed also.

Ferguson signed a new deal just this season. 4 or 5 years 

24 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Ian Ferguson, Kevin Thomson, I know he doesn’t support us. Jack is our best midfielder currently. 

I was meaning recently tbf and wouldn't say Jack has been a success either. 

Was unplayable for a wee while before the winter break then disappeared. 

6 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Agree , tried when the rest had chucked it that’s about it 

Archived