Will we sign a traditional number 9?

jbm26896

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hateley aside (who was actually also a very good technical football player) just about every other big physical forward I have seen us sign, has been  pretty shite.  It rarely works for us and has never been a style we have used when playing football needed to win the league, in doing that we have tended to lean on players who were technically gifted. 

Prso, Jelavic didn't actually play football of big physical forwards, they tended to lean far heavier on their technical skill than physical. 

If it's true that Lille have been talking to Alredo and have agreed personal terms with him then it only have been with our permission. 

Assuming that is the case then we will have identified replacements and are ready to move if Lille meet our valuation.

Like everybody else I have no idea who those targets might be. I would hope for a Mols or Jelavic type of player rather than a battering ram.

Even if Morelos stays, which is looking unlikely,  I still think we need a striker or forward player in the team.

Who that is will be a tough one as decent forward players are difficult to attract to our league.

3 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Hateley aside (who was actually also a very good technical football player) just about every other big physical forward I have seen us sign, has been  pretty shite.  It rarely works for us and has never been a style we have used when playing football needed to win the league, in doing that we have tended to lean on players who were technically gifted. 

Prso, Jelavic didn't actually play football of big physical forwards, they tended to lean far heavier on their technical skill than physical. 

Yeah they just need to be able to handle themselves. 

Defoe is just ragdolled about, and doesn’t even have pace to make up for it. 

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I have seen loads of Rangers players who could physically handle themselves who were nowhere near as good as Defoe has been. 

Defoe is fine at home IMO, goes missing away when it’s a bit more physical / difficult. 

Anyway, I’m not saying buy a big lump and go route one. You ideally what someone who’s a. Good enough first of all, and b. Can mix it physically if need be. Think Jelavic, rather than Ikpeazu. 

5 hours ago, GersInCanada said:

If it's true that Lille have been talking to Alredo and have agreed personal terms with him then it only have been with our permission. 

Assuming that is the case then we will have identified replacements and are ready to move if Lille meet our valuation.

Like everybody else I have no idea who those targets might be. I would hope for a Mols or Jelavic type of player rather than a battering ram.

If it’s Maja, Roofe or Toney I’ll be content. All three would score for fun here.

Taylor would be useful but he falls short imo.

10 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

That was 18 years ago, and in squad with some real top quality players. 

The landscape has changed drastically since then. 

And I’m sure we did have Steven Thompson in the squad then too?

So that strike force/team wouldn’t score as many as back then?

i hope we get a really good offer for Alfie.Lille buy  at a relatively low/bargain level for players with  real potential and sell high witness the Nigerian they  signed for circa  10 million euros  and sold  shortly after for over 50 million euros,a fantastic profit.Beware Rangers  and get real money not 13 million Euros which is a steal for Morelos.

Archived