Champions League 20/21

Just now, Dennis Reynolds said:

What question, about marching up to that particular coach and pointing at him, well it's nonsense for effect isn't it because there are 1,000 other alternative options than that . If he had simply asked the ref to go up to that particular coach in a more logical and sensible way as would normally be the case it would have been grand. 

I highly doubt he is the first coach to have kicked off at a game, won't be the last, can't think of any other instances when an official has used the term "black guy" to find a resolution before so it seems it can normally be dealt with pretty easily. 

Check the edit for another question I've posed you.

The initial question was what would you have done, if you were the 4th official and you didn't know his name and you had to alert the referee of who it was in the heat of the moment? would you just walk up and point to a black man (not even sorry for saying black man there btw) and say "him"? that looks worse btw.

I wouldn't have used the term "black guy" to differentiate them, 3rd from left, 4th from right, the one in the middle. It's not that hard to differentiate people. 

Suppose but the referee choose different. I really don’t think because he choose to do it that way that referee is then definitely a racist. 

The player in question heard the word “negro” and it’s been blown out of all perspective due to that in my opinion. If he said “the black guy” in English I don’t think this player would of acted the way he done and now he has done it he’s not big enough to admit his mistake so the referee will have to be publicly outed as a racist. 

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Check the edit for another question I've posed you.

The initial question was what would you have done, if you were the 4th official and you didn't know his name and you had to alert the referee of who it was in the heat of the moment? would you just walk up and point to a black man (not even sorry for saying black man there btw) and say "him"? that looks worse btw.

covered in other posts already. 

4 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

covered in other posts already. 

No you never because people were moving about and it's not as simple as saying "3rd one in from the left" or whatever. 

Can you answer my other question now that if it's wrong to refer to them as black, then by your own logic Black Lives Matter and Black History Month is redundant - correct? 

People like you, I'll repeat, as enablers are the problem. 

Just now, Howsitgoing said:

Suppose but the referee choose different. I really don’t think because he choose to do it that way that referee is then definitely a racist. 

The player in question heard the word “negro” and it’s been blown out of all perspective due to that in my opinion. If he said “the black guy” in English I don’t think this player would of acted the way he done and now he has done it he’s not big enough to admit his mistake so the referee will have to be publicly outed as a racist. 

Probably best just not calling people black guy eh. 

2 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

No you never because people were moving about and it's not as simple as saying "3rd one in from the left" or whatever. 

Can you answer my other question now that if it's wrong to refer to them as black, then by your own logic Black Lives Matter and Black History Month is redundant - correct? 

People like you, I'll repeat, as enablers are the problem. 

Ah it's not as simple as that because you don't want it to be as simple as that. 

"refer to them" :stevieg:

Been having a think about this, this morning, and how I’d identify a player whose name I don’t know.

I’m a coach with one of my son’s football team. When I’m on touchline and need to make any of our players aware of an opposition player I’ll usually say where the player is in relation to my player. I might say the big lad at the back or something like that. I think I have said mark the blonde lad. I would though, never say mark the ginger lad ( I used to have ginger hair and always got caught for everything - bald now, so haha ya fucking gingerist bastards 🖕). However, I can’t imagine any circumstances when I would refer to a player by his colour. Now my son is 10, but no matter what age he was I wouldn’t do that - if he was 20, playing in amateur football, I still wouldn’t consider describing a player by his colour.

Looking specifically at the 4th official. He should, imo, know the players in every team - if commentators can learn all the players names, so can a 4th official.He might even be able to see a number on the player’s shorts.

Some have mentioned he’s from Romania - so fuck? He’s a UEFA official - he follows their rules and regulations. He will surely have been on UEFA courses where ‘appropriate language’ will have been covered. The guy has made a mistake - it may well have been an entirely innocent mistake, but it was a mistake nonetheless. Now, i don’t know if he did, but he should have apologised immediately.

Then could the game have continued? In theory, yes. Probably not, though, unless there was another official available. Anything that he did, or could have done, would have been unfairly examined by both sides. 

1 minute ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Probably best just not calling people black guy eh. 

Maybe but are you 100% sure that this referee is a racist due to using that phrase as a way to differentiate another guy. This referee will be publicly condemned.

It was meant to be a confined conversation that a player ears dropped on and picked out one Romanian word and used another meaning for it. This referee will be hung out to dry. 

5 minutes ago, left winger said:

Been having a think about this, this morning, and how I’d identify a player whose name I don’t know.

I’m a coach with one of my son’s football team. When I’m on touchline and need to make any of our players aware of an opposition player I’ll usually say where the player is in relation to my player. I might say the big lad at the back or something like that. I think I have said mark the blonde lad. I would though, never say mark the ginger lad ( I used to have ginger hair and always got caught for everything - bald now, so haha ya fucking gingerist bastards 🖕). However, I can’t imagine any circumstances when I would refer to a player by his colour. Now my son is 10, but no matter what age he was I wouldn’t do that - if he was 20, playing in amateur football, I still wouldn’t consider describing a player by his colour.

Looking specifically at the 4th official. He should, imo, know the players in every team - if commentators can learn all the players names, so can a 4th official.He might even be able to see a number on the player’s shorts.

Some have mentioned he’s from Romania - so fuck? He’s a UEFA official - he follows their rules and regulations. He will surely have been on UEFA courses where ‘appropriate language’ will have been covered. The guy has made a mistake - it may well have been an entirely innocent mistake, but it was a mistake nonetheless. Now, i don’t know if he did, but he should have apologised immediately.

Then could the game have continued? In theory, yes. Probably not, though, unless there was another official available. Anything that he did, or could have done, would have been unfairly examined by both sides. 

Sorry to take you out of context because most of that is fair enough post overall but c'mon he made a mistake by calling a black player, black? think about how ridiculous this has become and how we aid it.

I've watched the clips of it there again and I can see the black guy is really upset, but you need to consider he's upset because he could have thought the Romanian official said negro without knowing the literal translation. Which I do actually appreciate and puts a different perspective on things.

My issue isn't the confusion, I can see how it's happened, but the fall out that it's now wrong to call a black person black - considering they've got black power, black history month, black lives matter etc.

That's ironic and sinister if that's the route we are now going down.

I have, I am just not saying the things you want to be heard. 

It's not an offence, it's just a shit look to wear. 

You literally haven't. 

So what about Black lives matter and black history month then if calling them black isn't acceptable.

You seem to keep avoiding this.

Maybe but are you 100% sure that this referee is a racist due to using that phrase as a way to differentiate another guy. This referee will be publicly condemned.

It was meant to be a confined conversation that a player ears dropped on and picked out one Romanian word and used another meaning for it. This referee will be hung out to dry. 

You are creating a situation here that is not really that relevant, thank fuck, because that is a bollocks criteria to be using. 

Was it racist, christ knows people can define that in so many ways, was it entirely avoidable by just not referring to a coach as black guy, yes. 

2 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

You literally haven't. 

So what about Black lives matter and black history month then if calling them black isn't acceptable.

You seem to keep avoiding this.

Context, things have context, you are wanting to bunch it all up in this big massive ball and it's just a tedious ball ache to untangle it because it will just always be met with aye but...and what if....and what about...

Context, things have context, you are wanting to bunch it all up in this big massive ball and it's just a tedious ball ache to untangle it because it will just always be met with aye but...and what if....and what about...

I agree context is important but here's the context - it's a fact he's black. 

It's a fact that the folk Black Lives Matter and Black History Month represent, are black.

So what's the problem? 

You are creating a situation here that is not really that relevant, thank fuck, because that is a bollocks criteria to be using. 

Was it racist, christ knows people can define that in so many ways, was it entirely avoidable by just not referring to a coach as black guy, yes. 

The confined conversation was put in to qualify the fact that the player picked out one Romanian word and changed the context of it. The player is heard shouting to the official in English” you said the word Negro, you can’t use that word” and he is right but the referee said the word “ negru” . If the player was offended by the word black then why didn’t he shout out “you used the word black”?

That is wrong and the referee will be hung out to dry for that. 

4 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

The confined conversation was put in to qualify the fact that the player picked out one Romanian word and changed the context of it. The player is heard shouting to the official in English” you said the word Negro, you can’t use that word” and he is right but the referee said the word “ negru” . If the player was offended by the word black then why didn’t he shout out “you used the word black”?

That is wrong and the referee will be hung out to dry for that. 

He will be hung out to dry because of his word choice, it’s not the first time coaches have kicked off.

3 minutes ago, murzo said:

AD11B236-A775-4087-9799-0322109389B7.thumb.jpeg.223cb138452e71c8f736866d474d4408.jpeg

@Dennis Reynolds There is obviously a white guy in this picture. Explain where he is without  saying it’s the white guy. Is not far easier just to say “it’s the white guy”.

Apparently there's deep rooted issues with that picture too. It's called white saviour.

A white person isn't allowed to go to Africa to help them, without getting a hard time about it.

Another part of the madness that the enables like Dennis there have allowed to mutate. 

EDIT - I bet that picture was took in South Carolina or something actually upon second inspection :lol: 

He will be hung out to dry because of his word choice, it’s not the first time coaches have kicked off before. 

It’s not, it’ll be because this football player is deranged and needs to be offended. He overheard a conversation picked out one word and got the wrong context of that word. Now this idiotic football player needs to save face and this referee will be the fall guy for that. 
On a side note his need to be offended will qualify him for that bastardised football team we unfortunately have to endure. 

It’s not, it’ll be because this football player is deranged and needs to be offended. He overheard a conversation picked out one word and got the wrong context of that word. Now this idiotic football player needs to save face and this referee will be the fall guy for that. 
On a side note his need to be offended will qualify him for that bastardised football team we unfortunately have to endure. 

Aaaandd you’ve went full tin foil helmet. 

The guy with the black hair is ok?

The guy who is black is not?

The guy with the ginger hair is not?

The guy form Eastern Europe, where being super-sensitive is not really an issue, who hasn't been given up to the minute training on the latest sensitivities, in a stressful situation, is probably not focusing on how to tiptoe around certain terms. He was talking to his colleague from his own culture in their own language.

A word in that language sounded similar to a problem-word in another and the guy who was in the process of being sent-off went way over the top in his reaction (any connection to being sent off?), then a bunch of other guys downed tools and refused to play.

In the current world of sensitivities, people need to react to problems like these as sensibly as Gerrard did at the weekend. Then can we just get on with the football?

11 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Sorry to take you out of context because most of that is fair enough post overall but c'mon he made a mistake by calling a black player, black? think about how ridiculous this has become and how we aid it.

I've watched the clips of it there again and I can see the black guy is really upset, but you need to consider he's upset because he could have thought the Romanian official said negro without knowing the literal translation. Which I do actually appreciate and puts a different perspective on things.

My issue isn't the confusion, I can see how it's happened, but the fall out that it's now wrong to call a black person black - considering they've got black power, black history month, black lives matter etc.

That's ironic and sinister if that's the route we are now going down.

Yeah, he has made a mistake and, as I said, it may well have been very innocent -  we just don’t know - hopefully it was.

Would you not agree, though, that he must have had some guidance from UEFA via courses or just written communication regarding the ‘appropriate language’ to use? And hopefully, in the heat of the moment, he just forgot.